Dairy farm to Stocker/Feeder operation

Help Support CattleToday:

littletom

Reaction score
Buying a joining farm. That was a dairy. Buying it because it joins me and is really good crop ground. Had it leased for a few years and mostly in tobacco. It has a parlor a 50X110 feed barn and a 60X100 pac barn several automatic waters, and a lot of concrete. I hear people talking about taking these to feeder calf. Has anyone done this or know someone who has.

I've seen a lot of dairy farmers transition to feeding steers. You'll need to pay a lot of attention to the ventilation of the buildings and be careful about sourcing your feeder cattle. Old dairy barns are great incubators for respiratory outbreaks, and guys like to pack them full when they're feeding cattle. If the sides of the barn don't open, you'll need fans.
The other thing that catches some guys off guard is that steers (especially dairy breeds) are a lot more destructive than dairy cows. They'll peel tin off of buildings, chew through boards, break exposed water lines, etc. Don't consider anything that isn't steel or concrete to be permanent.

Buck Randall said:
The other thing that catches some guys off guard is that steers (especially dairy breeds) are a lot more destructive than dairy cows. They'll peel tin off of buildings, chew through boards, break exposed water lines, etc. Don't consider anything that isn't steel or concrete to be permanent.
You think cows are any better? :lol: :lol:

Buck Randall said:
I've seen a lot of dairy farmers transition to feeding steers. You'll need to pay a lot of attention to the ventilation of the buildings and be careful about sourcing your feeder cattle. Old dairy barns are great incubators for respiratory outbreaks, and guys like to pack them full when they're feeding cattle. If the sides of the barn don't open, you'll need fans.

Great info! I would add to be aware that a lot of the smaller dairy farms had issues with things like coccidiosis...which can stay in the soil for several years if I remember correctly. If the former farmer ever bought stock at a sale barn or had less then stellar vaccination or quarantine protocols, I would be very wary...

Latest posts