cow lease

Help Support CattleToday:

No.
Did our share of leasing cows on calf shares when we started out. There is not enough in a cow in most cases to share a profit. Lease to purchase is a dog of a different colour. Make sure the deal benefits YOU first. You aren't in it for experience alone.

Good judgement come from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

I can't see a lot of value in 'leasing his cows' to run on his property, and HIS hay vs........ becoming his ranch manager with a specified contracted salary or % of the calf crop. The latter sounds a lot simpler, as by definition, you taking care (labor) of HIS cows on HIS property means he pays expenses, and you would just be part of the expense. Whether he pays you real money or in calves or a combo of both, is a relatively minor thing to work out.

But, becoming his manager, who pays for any of your medical bills should you get hurt in the performance of your overseer duties over on his property?
I passed on this subject but you pretty much hit it on the head, imo.

You are pretty sharp, still, for a man of your "experience". 🤣 😉

No.
Did our share of leasing cows on calf shares when we started out. There is not enough in a cow in most cases to share a profit. Lease to purchase is a dog of a different colour. Make sure the deal benefits YOU first. You aren't in it for experience alone.

Good judgement come from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
Yeah, I had some people approach me about leasing replacement heifers but I'd had a couple of rental properties and has some less than optimal experiences with that so never took it seriously.

Three years is about how long I think the cattle market will stay high, just something to think about with this offer.

That, is swinging a pretty wide lasso young man.

Maybe when I get 'old' I'll see things different but at 73, I still know my dreams are just dreams (and it's a dang good thing they are)

But, we'll move on.
I've been enlightened....caring for my elderly ungrateful manipulative mother, dad was cool grateful, appreciative and just forgot everything (better)....it's not their fault...Mom really believed her dreams. I added a clause into Our Family Trust...if our two children together deem us Incapacitated or Incompetent after we're both age 80 or over..they have legal right to take over Guardianship. We trust our children to do the right thing. An elderly person that's not in their right mind, too mentally sick to see their own sickness....we don't want that for our kids. Make things easy for them....myself, just give me a room and tablecloth 3 meals a day dining...and i'll come to work...making two of the three meals. Hoping my wife is with me...together. I want a young woman to wash me...that sounds good too.

Latest posts