Bull Nettle

Help Support CattleToday:

Mrcopier

Reaction score
OK it's that time of year, what has been your most effective way of killing bull nettle I have a bunch of it!

If you hit it with 2-4-D in the Rosette stage is best,and cheapest..
I agree. A full rate of some board leaf weed killer while it's flowering. Or you can spot spray it anytime with a extra strong dose of weed killer. Strong enough it looks like you sprayed roundup...

Hard to kill because the type I've had here has lateral roots that extend out in different directions, not roots straight down. Those long horizontal running roots store a lot of energy and send up suckers.
2,4d or Remedy will usually kill it but may need subsequent spraying to get it all once the suckers come back several feet away. The main root will have a big tater looking rhizome on it too and it takes a lot of herbicide absorption to completely kill it.

bullnettle.jpg

Last edited:
if you cut it ,you have to remove the plant or burn it..cause it will reseed with its last dying breath..

A 24d diacamba mix about the time it's flowering or one of the residual type pasture sprays. It's about like killing bindweed except cattle will eat bindweed.

Maximum amount of 2, 4-D or Grazon P+D. If you do not have an applicators license, try Cimarron Max. Here's the Texas AgriLife Extension recommendation:

For spot spraying, I mixed Remedy and diesel. But since diesel is officially running $5/ gallon in my area, that's a tough pill to swallow. Try MSO instead.

Latest posts