Bahia

Help Support CattleToday:

georgiabob

Reaction score
I seeded about 5 acres easter day and had an inch and a half of rain before i could drag it. Reseeded it 2 days later to be safe and ran a drag over it. Didn't get a drop of rain for almost 6 weeks . Since then i'v gotten close to 2 feet but had a long stretch of dry 100 degree weather in the middle. Yesterday i looked it over and the bahia is finally coming in. It's fighting crabgrass and dog fennel but that's normal here.

I would tend to be concerned about the crabgrass. Crabgrass can smother just about any grass starting this time of year. A couple months under a crabgrass canopy will choke just about anything.

Cows are on it and grazing crabgrass close and leaving the bahia. I'm going to mow the dod fennel then give the bahia time to seed out. I seeded way above the recommended rate and it's coming in strong. I'll overseed it with clover in the fall. And lime it.

I would tend to be concerned about the crabgrass. Crabgrass can smother just about any grass starting this time of year. A couple months under a crabgrass canopy will choke just about anything.
If crabgrass was more drought tolerant and came in earlier it would be my first choice around here.

Which Bahia variant does the best? Does the crabgrass overtake the Bahia? I planted RR Crabgrass last year and it did good. Drought has put the hurting on it this year. Was thinking about seeding some Pensacola Bahia in a few spots to see how it does.

I have Argentina Bahia, Pensacola Bahia, Paraguay Bahia and Red River Crab grass.
The crab grass is the best cow food but the Bahia handles drought much better.
Bahia crab grass mix last year.
View attachment 19429
My cows are barely touching bahia in any field right now. With all the rain i've been getting it's pretty tall and lush. When the days get shorter they'll take it to the ground. My crabgrass volunteers.
I put a few acres in pearl millet, buckwheat and cow peas. When it started hitting 102 degrees the millet got set back. After it cooled fown and the rain came the crabgrass over ran that field. The deer wiped out the peas and buckwheat as soon as it came up. Now the millet has come back but the space between the rows looks like it was planted with crabgrass. Next year i'll probably just plant the millet.

Which Bahia variant does the best? Does the crabgrass overtake the Bahia? I planted RR Crabgrass last year and it did good. Drought has put the hurting on it this year. Was thinking about seeding some Pensacola Bahia in a few spots to see how it does.
I planted tift 9 in this field. I've got pensacola and whatever volunteers around here in others and once the bahia gets established it seems to choke out the crabgrass.

I would say Pensacola as it would be the cheapest to get established.
There are two types of people in East Texas us with Bahia and y'all that are going to get it.
Bahia is King in this environment.
There's a variety called quicktif that supposedly outproduces the test by a good margin and has the longest growing season. My pensacola stays green year round but doesn't grow from november through maybe march. Ten years ago I would have told you you were crazy if you said one day i'd pay to plant bahia.

Bahia is the hardiest warm season forage there is. The quality level is suitable only to dry cows. Your crabgrass, that is volunteering, is tremendously higher in quality. If you're in an area of high rainfall, like central Alabama or South Georgia, encourage the crabgrass. Forget the Bahia unless you get frequent droughts.

Bahia is the hardiest warm season forage there is. The quality level is suitable only to dry cows. Your crabgrass, that is volunteering, is tremendously higher in quality. If you're in an area of high rainfall, like central Alabama or South Georgia, encourage the crabgrass. Forget the Bahia unless you get frequent droughts
I'm in central Georgia and rainfall is unpredictable. I've gone from 8 weeks with no rain to 6 inches in a week to 3 weeks around 100 degrees with no rain back to heavy rains. It could dry up today and not rain again until december. Don't tell every cow in florida and most in georgia and alabama that they're living on the worst grass in the world. These cows don't seem starved and they probably live on 80 percent bahia year round. That baldie is 6 months and the cow behind him is his mother. He's her first calf. The british white drops 100 pound calves and never loses condition. Bahia is decent but i also give them a few hours a day on annual cover crops year round. I'm small and can mange them easily.

Attachments

• 04B8EEFA-062D-4E20-ABF0-34E8FF53923B.jpeg
    04B8EEFA-062D-4E20-ABF0-34E8FF53923B.jpeg
    669.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 0CAAC18F-8CC1-45D0-A7D1-94B152FF038C.jpeg
    0CAAC18F-8CC1-45D0-A7D1-94B152FF038C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3