A/H Baldies vs H/A Baldies

Help Support CattleToday:

gaurus

Reaction score
Ive heard many times that a Angus bull over Hereford cows terminal cross will grade better than Hereford bull over Angus cows steers.

Is that true?

gaurus":3anhrbf3 said:
Ive heard many times that a Angus bull over Hereford cows terminal cross will grade better than Hereford bull over Angus cows steers.

Is that true?

I would like to learn if that is true. I thought it would depend on the individual cow and bull. There is a lot of variation even among a breed of cattle.

I saw research years ago but do not remember the outcome but one was better. Lot of help I am, huh? :oops: Economics: it might be cheaper to buy Hereford cows.

I've seen it done both ways and they both work well if a breeder uses good quality bulls and cows.
Here it is cheaper to go the Hereford bull route as Hereford females are in demand. We just purchased a Hereford bull about 3 weeks ago. He will go out with the cows sometime in May. Depending on what you want I have to be very careful about bloodlines but otherwise they work well.

gaurus":92btx4sj said:

Is that true?
Can't in my mind think it would work in ten out of ten,seems like to many variables..but if I had to gamble I'd would circle true..

Down this way seems you can find good hereford bulls but putting together a good herd of herford cattle is almost impossible. Got a world of "trash" walking around.

TexasBred":2x6rru2c said:
Down this way seems you can find good hereford bulls but putting together a good herd of herford cattle is almost impossible. Got a world of "trash" walking around.
The same can be said of Angus here also. Trash and those light muscled low BW bulls and then on the polled side you find the show type many times.But we are fortunate and have some good quality Hereford cattle around. The issue is if you can afford the females.

I was helping a guy sort cows from calves this weekend. If he hadn't pointed him out, I thought his bull was just another framey skinny butted commercial Angus cow.

True story.

My friend doesn't know it yet, but he needs help picking better cattle ... especially bulls! Good grief his herd made zero sense.

elkwc":3k4iteos said:
TexasBred":3k4iteos said:
The same can be said of Angus here also. Trash and those light muscled low BW bulls and then on the polled side you find the show type many times.But we are fortunate and have some good quality Hereford cattle around. The issue is if you can afford the females.

If it's black and papered it's righteous no matter how sorry it looks or it's progeny. All that matters is paper and numbers that won't mash the scales one pound.

Caustic Burno":i5uvz9p5 said:
elkwc":i5uvz9p5 said:
TexasBred":i5uvz9p5 said:

If it's black and papered it's righteous no matter how sorry it looks or it's progeny. All that matters is paper and numbers that won't mash the scales one pound.

+1

Tried to find the research about AXH or HXA but could not find it. Memory seems to think that AXH was the better baldie.

Latest posts