What is life?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepsouth

Reaction score
where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far n
Seems like a pretty simple question at first but a closer look and it can get a little more complicated. A quick google turned up 3 definitions.

: the ability to grow, change, etc., that separates plants and animals from things like water or rocks

: the period of time when a person is alive

: the experience of being alive

Forrest Gump's mother compared life to a box of chocolates. Observing that you never know what your going to get.

I guess maybe it's new year's but the word life as been popping up in my life alot lately and Branguscowgirls thread on time passing made me decide to just ask you guy's, what is life. Even in this statement I referred to my life.

In the first definition above life is defined as being alive. Signs of life are growth and change and this seperates plants and animals from rocks and water. So humans are alive which makes us a life. However grass is also alive yet we can tell there is a big difference between a person and a blade of grass.

The second definition describes life as the period of time that we are alive. I've heard it said that when we look at a tombstone we will see two dates. The dates are the time of birth and the time of death. Between these two dates is a dash. That little insignificant looking dash represents the person's life. So life is a period of time. Obviously its an important period of time.

The experience of being alive is the thrid way that life is defined. What does that mean? Is it being born, growing, changing, reproducing and finally dying? Is that all there is to the experience of being alive? If so then what is the difference between a person and the blade of grass?

So y'all tell me, what is life?

I guess, in reality, both myself and the blade of grass are alive by definition. I have no feeling that I have extinguished its life, when I spray it with roundup. Therefore I summize, that the blade of grass and myself experience life differently.

When I compare myself to say a racoon or a deer. I know we each feel pain. therefore, when I extinguish it's life, I do have some emotion. If the coon is in my feed barrel, I have less than I would if he were treed by a dog. I no longer can kill something like a deer or turkey. Sometimes I feel bad about that. I don't really know how I got to that point. I consider myself a mans man. You would think that I could shoot a deer, but I just can't do it. So therefore i guess I consider the animals life atleast somewhat similar to my own. There are obvious differences, that I won't get into though.

I feel like a horse and dog, can experience emotion. Either one need to go pretty bad before I could kill them, but I will if need be.

Not sure if I or anyone else can answer the question, but is a great question.

Life is the amount of time given to us to live it. We can make a good life or an life that is unbearable. Which ever way we choose is entirely up to us. In other words we control our destiny. Here is a question that I do not know but maybe someone can tell. After life and you die and go to heaven will you know who went to hell and if you go to hell then will you know who went to heaven.

Life is the amount of time given to us to live it. We can make a good life or an life that is unbearable. Which ever way we choose is entirely up to us. In other words we control our destiny. Here is a question that I do not know but maybe someone can tell. After life and you die and go to heaven will you know who went to Satan's domain and if you go to Satan's domain then will you know who went to heaven. And how big of place is either of them and can they get to the point that they will not hold any more souls.

Suppose as long as one/something breathes there is life...

1381141d1395389990-what-life-kindness-quotes-5.png

Bigfoot":rosjycet said:
I guess, in reality, both myself and the blade of grass are alive by definition. I have no feeling that I have extinguished its life, when I spray it with roundup. Therefore I summize, that the blade of grass and myself experience life differently.

When I compare myself to say a racoon or a deer. I know we each feel pain. therefore, when I extinguish it's life, I do have some emotion. If the coon is in my feed barrel, I have less than I would if he were treed by a dog. I no longer can kill something like a deer or turkey. Sometimes I feel bad about that. I don't really know how I got to that point. I consider myself a mans man. You would think that I could shoot a deer, but I just can't do it. So therefore i guess I consider the animals life atleast somewhat similar to my own. There are obvious differences, that I won't get into though.

I feel like a horse and dog, can experience emotion. Either one need to go pretty bad before I could kill them, but I will if need be.

Not sure if I or anyone else can answer the question, but is a great question.

You place different values on different forms of life. I agree. I may love a dog but hate his fleas. Yet the fleas are just as alive as the dog. What is it that gives one value over the other?

wv mud river":3uufpve7 said:
begins at conception ends when the heart stops

I understand that you are speaking about an individual life. But life existed before I was born and will continue to exist after I'm gone. I agree with you that a life begins at conception but does life cease when the heart stops?

Now for hurley and Inyati. You both addressed the third definition of life. The experience of life. This is what I'm really searching for. As Hurley said "We can make a good life or an life that is unbearable." How do we know that we have lived a "good" life. How can we know if our life has been full and complete?

Deepsouth":3rjrotot said:
Seems like a pretty simple question at first but a closer look and it can get a little more complicated. A quick google turned up 3 definitions.

: the ability to grow, change, etc., that separates plants and animals from things like water or rocks

: the period of time when a person is alive

: the experience of being alive

Forrest Gump's mother compared life to a box of chocolates. Observing that you never know what your going to get.

I guess maybe it's new year's but the word life as been popping up in my life alot lately and Branguscowgirls thread on time passing made me decide to just ask you guy's, what is life. Even in this statement I referred to my life.

In the first definition above life is defined as being alive. Signs of life are growth and change and this seperates plants and animals from rocks and water. So humans are alive which makes us a life. However grass is also alive yet we can tell there is a big difference between a person and a blade of grass.

The second definition describes life as the period of time that we are alive. I've heard it said that when we look at a tombstone we will see two dates. The dates are the time of birth and the time of death. Between these two dates is a dash. That little insignificant looking dash represents the person's life. So life is a period of time. Obviously its an important period of time.

The experience of being alive is the thrid way that life is defined. What does that mean? Is it being born, growing, changing, reproducing and finally dying? Is that all there is to the experience of being alive? If so then what is the difference between a person and the blade of grass?

So y'all tell me, what is life?

We are all born terminal.
The Journey is what counts my definition of life is this.
Christian
American
son
brother
husband
father
grandfather
great grandfather
cattleman
outdoors-man

Status
Not open for further replies.