I ALMOST feel guilty . . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
I'll try to make this short.

Nearby Craigslist ad for a March 2011 BA heifer calf: $500. I contacted the lady seller, and told her I might be interested based on Toppenish Market weight, if she knew the weight. Turns out, they bought a rejected BA heifer at 4 days old (born in March), paid $240 for it, for her daughter to raise in a 4-H program. This mom knew/knows -0- about cattle (still calls all calves/cows/bulls "cows"), and relied on a neighbor to help them. Neighbor also had kids in the program. The seller was totally pyssed; said the helpful neighbor badly clipped the daughter's calf before their 4-H county fair show. She felt it was deliberate. So, she was mad about that; and figured her 65 lb. daughter probably wouldn't be able to handle that heifer next year, and they were just feeling ignorant and abused, and not really up to doing "cows."

I said: Toppenish Market -- check it . . . . what do you need to get out of that heifer?" She: "We don't want her butchered." I said, "I'm looking for a future breeding animal; if she doesn't work out, I can't guarantee that." She didn't even look at Toppenish! She said she couldn't sell her for less than the $240 she'd paid for her at less than a week old; she'd take $250, with hope that she'd have a good home. I sent her a $50 deposit, paid the balance in cash when we picked up "Delilah" today, after the grandkids BD party, and before we picked up the twin heifers closer to home (that we paid $1.25/lb. for, at about 350 lbs.)

We had a bit of a ruckus loading her up today, as the little girl tried to lead her to the trailer, and "Delilah" busted loose, but was easily caught and coaxed into the trailer w/ grain.

Delilah is pretty, straight, I think min. 350 lbs., and a sweetie to deal with.

I'm inclined to send that little girl a thank you card with a $20 bill enclosed. Honest, I kinda feel bad about this . . . . ??

I've sort of been there a time or two myself. Even had a guy give me a downer cow that was mineral deficient. Vet couldn't fix her and he had spent a lot of nickels already. I wound up giving him $650 for her. She's had 3 calves now like clock work.

Do what your heart tells you to do.

backhoeboogie":1ffe7np3 said:
I've sort of been there a time or two myself. Even had a guy give me a downer cow that was mineral deficient. Vet couldn't fix her and he had spent a lot of nickels already. I wound up giving him $650 for her. She's had 3 calves now like clock work.

Do what your heart tells you to do.

My heart thinks that's the least I should do! Kayla stood in the trailer w/ Delilah -- we gave her plenty of time to say her good-byes, but she didn't cry (I think she's about 10 yrs. old?). I give Mom credit for knowing they were in over their heads. Still . . . . . I kinda feel bad.

i'd pay them market price, but thats just me.
old saying where i work
"good feelings come from square dealing"

Hey, don't feel bad.
I just took "Thunder" my halter broken colt to the action and came home with $60 after spending $95 at the vet's for Cogan's test and vaccination.
Ya know what they say: fools rush in etc.
SL

cross_7":2w4uh6gf said:
i'd pay them market price, but thats just me.
old saying where i work
"good feelings come from square dealing"

I was looking for a deal -- just didn't think I'd get one this good. I started out only shopping one commercial heifer this year . . . . . now I'm into three. I don't think little Kayla has a clue, except that it was just hard for them to handle a calf, when they knew nothing about cattle, and the show experience was not good. Hoping that a hand-written Thank You card, with a $20 bill enclosed to thank her for her efforts, will reward her when she doesn't even think she has one coming.

"Dear Kayla - We like Delilah!! Her future here is as a brood cow (once she is old enough) in our small herd. Thank you for raising her well! Your mom has our contact information. The enclosed $ ($20) is a 'tip' -- you did a good job!"

That's what's going out with the next mail.

Kathie in Thorp":2oc6rt3l said:
"Dear Kayla - We like Delilah!! Her future here is as a brood cow (once she is old enough) in our small herd. Thank you for raising her well! Your mom has our contact information. The enclosed $ ($20) is a 'tip' -- you did a good job!"

PS
sorry to beat you and your mom out of the other 150.00

kathie i'm not trying to pick a fight but i feel like you took advantage of a uninformed lady and a 10 yr old girl, but thats your business and just my opinion.

Im a sucker for a kid that is trying, so usually i give quite a bit over market price to a kid.
The grown ups had better watch out though. :cowboy:

Kathie in Thorp":11h2klx8 said:

I like it Kathie.

You're not a horse trader. That calf is worth what someone is willing to pay at auction.

How much would you pay for a yappity lap mutt? A dog that won't work nor hunt? Somebody loves that Mutt and values it much more than I do. I hear tales of huge vet and manicure bills - and everything else :lol:

Kayla is likely going to be happy that "Deliklah" has a place to be with other cows.

There is also a problem tho. Kids need to know where chicken tenders come from. Hamburger too. Part of me thinks that this could sort of be negative. But you did not create that situation. Her parents did and they should address this in their manner.

We sold a steer to the vets daughter for her to use in the local fair asa market steer. No money changed hands at the time, the deal was to wait until after he sold at the fair. At the fair he was the highest selling animal by almost a buck a pound. She brought a check for 50 bucks more then we had agreed on, I was kind of torn between taking it and not. I did accept it but felt funny about it. Yesterday they stopped by and she picked out (actaully her dad did) her steer for next years fair.

"Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good" , that being said I doubt I would take advantage of a youngster - listen to your conscience :)

The little girl didn't get taken advantage of. The mom priced the calf and it sold. Delilah has a new home, will be well taken care of and mom can buy the young lady another calf IF she wants one.

TexasBred":mef06tfo said:
The little girl didn't get taken advantage of. The mom priced the calf and it sold. Delilah has a new home, will be well taken care of and mom can buy the young lady another calf IF she wants one.

I tend to agree with TB here. Those folks aren't in the cattle business and are probably very grateful to have the burden of looking after a growing heifer that has long since served the purpose for which they bought her.

I think the note with the little bonus is a nice gesture. An even cooler gesture would be to send the kid a cut of future revenue generated by the sale of any offspring Delilah generates for your farm. Just a thought.

I've known many 4-H/FFA families over the years that bought animals for their kids and had nothing to do with them after the county show. They were to attached to eat them and just wanted them off their feed bill. Most would have given them away to good homes. People bought them at reduced prices and everyone was happy. No way would I feel bad about this deal.

slick4591, your post made me reflect on the money I've spent over the years on my kids in their various sports pursuits. We didn't do 4-H but I spent a small fortune on soccer cleats, basketball shoes, club sports fees, lessons, gas, hotels, tournament fees and on and on. At the end of it all I have to show for it are great memories and cheap little trophies. I'm sure the family is tickled to get their initial investment on that calf back.

cross_7":bnh3gpfl said:
Kathie in Thorp":bnh3gpfl said:

PS
sorry to beat you and your mom out of the other 150.00

kathie i'm not trying to pick a fight but i feel like you took advantage of a uninformed lady and a 10 yr old girl, but thats your business and just my opinion.

After reading this I feel terrible now. I recently bought two four year old registered sim bulls for $50cwt because the owner has too many replacements off the bulls and they don't want to interbreed. I felt good about the deal and so did he since he didn't want to see them go to slaughter but now I see we are both wrong and both going to he77 for such evil doings. Maybe I should give him free hay for a year and the first calves sired by these bulls.

wow !!!
where i come from we don't take advantage of women, children or widows, but a grown man well thats a different story.

You all are funny. I'd bet everyone here would jump on the deal if offered to them. Its called finding a good deal. The owner set the price, not the buyer. its not the op talked her down at all. AND, she's throwing another 20 to the kid. Everyones happy

Latest posts