injection site sarcoma ?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
We are heading out to the vets this afternoon as I found a tumor about the size of a pea on the Kit Kat's back this morning ,so he needs to go in for a biopsy. It is in the area of where injection sites are ,so I am praying to God that it is not injection site sarcoma as they are almost always malignant. He is 8 yrs old and just had his rabies vaccine 3 months ago so all the things point to that. :cry2:

Has anyone had a pet with this cancer before and if so is treatment possible ?

Will let you know what the results are when we get back .

Well things don't look good for my little guy .The results are going to pathology ,but she didn't like the lymphocytes and how some cells were shaped. My heart is breaking, I cannot believe we are going through this again, it was 2 years ago on the 15th that we lost Steffie to cancer.

I don't know a real lot about vaccination site sarcomas other than that they do occur occaisionally in cats from some very routine vaccines. Like many soft tissue sarcomas they can be a problem, they usually are invasive locally first before metastasising further.
At least the position of the tumour will allow very generous margins to be taken. Best of luck HD I hope all goes well.
Ken
PS My neighbours daughter developed a vaccination site sarcoma in her thigh after being vaccinated for Q fever so that she could help with my cattle. She had surgery and fortunately it was not malignant, but ended with a big dint in her thigh.

Thank you Ken. Just waiting for the dreaded results, he has been very quiet last night and today as the biopsy site is quite painful now . I am however giving him lots of kisses and gentle hugs .

HD -where is the injection site, between the shoulders or the leg? Charlie had his Rabies injection about 2 months ago and has a pea size (quite hard) lump that is thank godness getting smaller by the day. I sure hope this is the case with the KK.
Holding thumbs!

alisonb":16aam60f said:
HD -where is the injection site, between the shoulders or the leg? Charlie had his Rabies injection about 2 months ago and has a pea size (quite hard) lump that is thank godness getting smaller by the day. I sure hope this is the case with the KK.
Holding thumbs!

Alison , how is Charlies lump, has it gone away now ?

HD - it's now the size of a pin head, thank goodness. He has turned out to be a real little darling, emphases on 'little', he does not seem to be growing much :shock: . Here are some pics of him taking a kip, temps hit about 95 and he didn't feel like being pestered by anybody, I ask you :help: . He's a busy farm boy...look at those dirty little feet :D .
IMG00156-20111024-1431.jpg
IMG00157-20111024-1432.jpg

He's a SLEEPY farm boy! He'll have his bath AFTER his nap, thank you very much!

Just found this thread. :heart:

:lol: He manages to keep the rest of his body clean, it's just his feet and socks. He's on the move most of the time, pops in for a siesta at lunch time and then out again. His feet are actually full of little cracks, I sometimes feel like putting cream on them :help:
Gale - here are some sweet pics of him if you are interested :D viewtopic.php?f=22&t=70608

Looks like Charlie is living like a King ; glad to hear !!! He is a real sweetie . :D

Kit Kat's is smaller too, have to get Dr U to look at it and decide if we need to remove it or not. The bad thing is that we now know he has severe reactions to needles so need to find other options for vaccinations. You might have to do that with Charlie as well. :(

Hillsdown, how is your Kit Kat doing? Did you get the labs back?

We have a totally indoor cat (plus outside cats). He was named after a motorcycle, not his body condition. FB was diagnosed with diabetes last year after what (we think) was pneumonia, following allergy symptoms to a new scratch pad that contained cat nip! We took that contraption away immediately; he was on antibiotics for awhile and we changed his already Rx diet (he was on Rx diet for urinary tract stuff - another expensive story from a few years ago), and on his next check-up, his blood sugars were totally normal. ?? I think he just wasn't eating/drinking normally while he was sick, and that threw all the labs off.

I hope your result is something similar! I was never a cat person until FB wandered in as a stray, already neutered, and obviously looking for comforts inside a home, rather than outside. His house manners have been perfect since the day he was first granted access.

Kathie in Thorp":3eo6qbhr said:

We have a totally indoor cat (plus outside cats). He was named after a motorcycle, not his body condition. FB was diagnosed with diabetes last year after what (we think) was pneumonia, following allergy symptoms to a new scratch pad that contained cat nip! We took that contraption away immediately; he was on antibiotics for awhile and we changed his already Rx diet (he was on Rx diet for urinary tract stuff - another expensive story from a few years ago), and on his next check-up, his blood sugars were totally normal. ?? I think he just wasn't eating/drinking normally while he was sick, and that threw all the labs off.

I hope your result is something similar! I was never a cat person until FB wandered in as a stray, already neutered, and obviously looking for comforts inside a home, rather than outside. His house manners have been perfect since the day he was first granted access.

Kathie he is benign , I posted a while back . Thanks for asking though.. :tiphat:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=72669

hillsdown":27ux0e7j said:
Kathie in Thorp":27ux0e7j said:

Kathie he is benign , I posted a while back . Thanks for asking though.. :tiphat:

Missed that . . . Feel like a D.S., but that's okay. Glad all is well!! :D

Kathie in Thorp":r2vguhzd said:
hillsdown":r2vguhzd said:
Kathie in Thorp":r2vguhzd said:

Missed that . . . Feel like a D.S., but that's okay. Glad all is well!! :D

I too was never a cat person until I met the Kit Kat ,it is amazing how they can change your life if you let them in .. :nod:

Gale Seddon":1ysr2xgd said:
alison, thank you....I love the 2nd photo of Charlie with his first mouse (as if he's "Mr. Experienced Old Hunter" or something).

Do you have Bag Balm for cows available where you are? I imagine you could put that on his feet.

Oh, and cause you're a cat lover:
http://icanhascheezburger.com/

And equal time for dogs:
http://ihasahotdog.com
Thanks Gale. I do have Balm but I think it will just make him the he!! in with me and I don't want that ;-) .
hillsdown":1ysr2xgd said:
Kit Kat's is smaller too, have to get Dr U to look at it and decide if we need to remove it or not.
HD - As long as it is smaller I would be inclined to leave it and just monitor it, it sounds like your big boy will be alright :D . Thanks for asking about Charlie.

Latest posts