JI Case 800?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
There is good running one on a local sale here with newer rubber. I am tempted to add it to the collection as a rake/spreader/drag tractor. It comes with the Case O Matic tranny...

Are they pretty reliable or am I just buying trouble?

Neighbor had a 830 Case-O-Matic since new that was used as a loader chore tractor. It sold last fall at his estate auction. Far as I knew the trans was bulletproof as any other out there.

Keep in mind if something goes wrong with a tractor this age, mechanics who are knowledgeable and experienced about working on this tractor are probably scarce anymore. Like finding a Ford tractor mechanic who knows how to fix a Select-O-Speed. Don't know about parts availability which might be another issue.

Easiest and best buys for parts are on Ebay. Bought used injectors on Ebay for Case 930 last year for $10 a piece. Passed pressure-test with flying colors. Compare that to refurbished ones for $80 a piece ($40 with core). You can find guys parting out whole tractors through Ebay at times. They ship the big stuff (rear ends, blocks) on pallets.

Good tip on parts. The neighbor mechanic is not a computer guy so if International or Napa does not still carry it, I have to scratch around.

I've had good luck buying new aftermarket and good quality used parts for my 4 wheeler on eBay. I've never run a Case-O-Matic either, but the way I understand they work is like a torque converter coupled with a conventional gear drive transmission like a backhoe has. I have spent some time on a Case backhoe.

The 800 and 830 were one of the very best of Case. Can't hardly lose on one of them. The tranny is a super deal.

Bought it for $2100. Two new rears and one new front. Very good starter. Needs some brake work and a new seat.

Is it correct with a Case o Matic that you should stop to shift gears?

Purpose of gears has always been to get the mass moving then shift to a higher gear to get it moving faster.
If you stop to put it in second you have lost the momentum

Did the brakes, seat, and front bushings. Getting parts did not seem to be a problem.
The original AM radio is still on it but it is BO :(
Going through the fluids now so it will be ready to go when the mud dries up.
Have you ever needed to change out a power steering filter?

Latest posts