Left milk in the car

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I guess this topic is cattle related, wife forgot and left a gallon of milk in the van overnight. Question is: It was in a temp of about 45-48 degress for 12 hours so is it still okay to drink? I thought I'd throw it in the freezer for awhile to chill it off and give it the smell test.

Milk is fine up to 50 deg F. If it don't stink, it's ok to drink. (along as it stayed below 50.)

biggest question is how good was the milk to start with and that is only known by the insiders.

when I was in milk marketing I knew which processors i wanted to buy milk from and which I would not consider. But that was twenty years ago. I am sure they are all top notch now :roll:

the sniff and taste test is the way to judge. :cowboy:

tncattle":1mcjf3c1 said:
I guess this topic is cattle related, wife forgot and left a gallon of milk in the van overnight. Question is: It was in a temp of about 45-48 degress for 12 hours so is it still okay to drink? I thought I'd throw it in the freezer for awhile to chill it off and give it the smell test.

TN that's probably cooler than it as in the grocery store. Seems like the "dairy case" is the most overlooked and abused area in the grocery these days.

I'd just give the grandkids a big ol' bowl of cereal and stir 'em up a glass of chocolate milk - then keep an eye on 'em for a few hours! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

fit2btied":2j41zifv said:
I'd just give the grandkids a big ol' bowl of cereal and stir 'em up a glass of chocolate milk - then keep an eye on 'em for a few hours!
:lol: :lol:

Fridge or cooler temps should be between 1-4 Celcius for storage. This is the temp where bacteria growth is significantly slower. Converted to farenheit I think it is 33.8 to 39 F which is safe storage for cold food.
Any thing cooked, frozen-thawing or thawed or raw stored between 4C (33.8 F) to 64C (147F)is being stored in the unsafe zone. In the unsafe zone, bacteria multiplies exponentially in less than an hour and can cause severe food born illnesses. Sometimes we think we caught a 24 hour flu bug but in reality it was food poisoning.
Frozen food store below freezing
Cooked, prepared food and raw food store below 4 celcius but above 1
Cooked foods kept hot need to be above 64C for safe eating
All frozen meats should be thawed in the fridge in a drip proof container to prevent contimination of raw foods. On the counter is not a good place to thaw food especially meats and fish. The bacteria love this type of enviroment.

Advice from 15 years in the food service industry.

Latest posts