Not for the faint of heart

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Hay this year is looking rough. No rain in May and June, now too much rain in July. Finally ready for first cutting, but trying to dodge rain storms. As late as it is, I'll only get two cuttings this year it seems, so I really don't want to lose one to rain. Not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

Oh well, that tropical wave will probably turn into something and head my way just about the time I get the tin up on the new barn we've been working on. :nod:

jedstivers":18e80av7 said:
We are bad dry again, had no rain in June after a wet winter an spring. Finally got some rains in July put we need one real bad now.
Here we had a wet winter and an exceptionally wet spring. No rain to speak of since the beginning of June. Every eveingin/night I watch the light show from the thunderstorms all aorund us but nothing here. Ah well, like the dog and the peach pit, this too shall pass.

We've had quite a bit of rain. Just finished baling some of the best grass I ever grew but its now turning dry again.

We have been dry and the bore control tower was hit by lightning. We had to wait for the electrician to figure out what was wrong sigh and then get around to looking at it. sigh and then the insurance. We missed the hay making season.

The irrigator is finally going. I swear I could write a book about it. We have now irrigated all the cultivations once. At tinge of green can be seen.

So it looks like we're guaranteed to get this tropical depression, Bonnie, so I've called off the hay and barn construction. Luckily only the framework is up for the barn, should be no problem with the wind. Now if there were tin on it, it would become a kite. I'll have to put the hay off for a least another week if this thing brings the rain they are saying.

Been really wet here. Got 5 inches last weekend and 2 inches this weekend. I think we have had something like 35 inches of rain since memorial day. Rains every weekend and has only been dry 2 weeks since april.

This is just about as bad as not getting enough. I did get the hay up just havent got it tucked away yet ( to wet again) grass is growing is the only good thing.

still drier than a popcorn fart in AridZona Virginia.

fifty miles north of us the crops look good. cows have grass.

around here the insurance guys are telling the corn growers to bush hog it.
no grass no hay no rain just 105 degree heat and a breeze that makes it feel like a blast furnace.

pdfangus":8qhfsr8c said:
still drier than a popcorn fart in AridZona Virginia.

Now that is dry!

Looks like we're gonna start cutting this evening, tomorrow at the latest. Defintely a tense time. With only two cuttings I can't afford to have one go wrong. Oh well, all you can do is say your prayers and hope for the best.

Dang, haven't gotten anything out of all this. Seem to be under an umbrella again. Been waiting all week for it to fininsh raining so I can cut. Been raining all around but not here.

Latest posts