For those interested here are my sudex test results

Help Support CattleToday:

A friend of mine had some sudex baleage tested, it only tested at 11% protien. ok for heifers not milk cows

Let me see if I have this straight. You are going to wait another 45 days to turn livestock into the Sudex? That should be approaching the end of the growing season. Only going to get one grazing all year, huh? What caused the high nitrate levels was the lack of rainfall, which stressed the plants and concentrated the nitrates.

You planted the Sudex about the time that I planted my hybrid pearl millet. Hasn't it started to go to seed by now, or will shortly? How are you dealing with that? If allowed to develop seed heads, the nutrient values plummet. Regrowth comes to a standstill as well, unless you graze or mow it. I'm puzzled how it can go another 45 days, or has even made it this long without nutrient loss.....due to seeding.

Becareful if you graze tehm close to a frost it can release cyanide out of the plant. Just a problem that one time for a couple hours. we usually pull them if we are expecting a frost and keep them off for a day or two.

Jeff

Latest posts