Feed cost

Help Support CattleToday:

L Weir

Reaction score
I'm curious to know if those of you that have 4-H steers if your feed cost are going up and if you're feeding something besides steer feed. We use regular steer feed from our local mill and it went up 60 cents since last week and $4 since last year at this time. The steer gets 12lb a day of feed and hay. He's gaining well and won't eat any more than that. He's not a big steer. I know alot of you feed special show feeds. we don't want to do that. We do use golden flo if we have to. Our sale isn't until Sept.

unfortunatly this is just one more way that alot of kids are going to lose more money on their projects this year. :frowns:

Seems like last week was the only week that our feed prices didn't go up. We've seen price increases of over 50% in the past few months.

I am not sure where or when your kids sell their 4-H steer projects. But when i sat on the steer sale commitee at our regional 4-H show we lined up enough corperate buyers for all the steers and then some so that all would sell at least 40 - 50 cents above the market price and when kids brought their own buyers they had to pay that premium to get a steer. It made sure the kids got a profit in the end unless they went and bought a high dollar prospect that did not pan outor they went nuts on high priced steers. I suggest you do that for your 4-H sale the corperate businesses would probably even understand if you asked them for more than that and justify it by telling them about how much feed costs have risen not to mention all the positive publicity for supporting the nations youth after all they are the furture corperate customers.
Feed costs are up everywhere the difficult thing is finding ration components that are lower priced that can be substituted in to provide a similar final product.

HEREFORD ROADHOG":13x43ff9 said:
unfortunatly this is just one more way that alot of kids are going to lose more money on their projects this year. :frowns:

My granddaughter doesn't lose money for two reasons

1. She doesn't pay an enormous price as she raises her own. :D

2. We either eat them or sell them as locker beef. :D

The last bag of show feed I bought was $13.00 a bag compared to $8.50 last year. This was my last year and I think I have broke even 1 of 10 years. There is no way I see that you can be competive and put calves in the sale at a major show and make money at this game.

Cowboy 2.0":1g62qnr6 said:
The last bag of show feed I bought was $13.00 a bag compared to $8.50 last year. This was my last year and I think I have broke even 1 of 10 years. There is no way I see that you can be competive and put calves in the sale at a major show and make money at this game.

Man I dont know what your feedin but i need to get me some! Its $17 for a bag of cob. COB!!! Higher quality mixes are worse!

Latest posts