Dogs digging holes...

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie

Reaction score
Is there any way to stop this? I spend every day filling in the holes they dig. I know that they do it to find a cool spot or out of boredom. I don't think they are bored...

We got hit recipe from The Backyard Problem Solver that you spray in problem areas. Made with all this spicy things, peppers, cayenne, garlic, onion... it is supposed to sting their noses, but it isn't working. I have also heard that if your put some of their poo in the hole they won't bother it because they won't lay around where they have "been".

Does anyone have any suggestions to keep doggie from digging?

Are they digging in the same place every time or starting new holes? Mine had a spot staked out under a Japanese Maple tree that I wasn't happy to see damaged but I couldn't make any headway until I put barberry branches under there. They were so spiny and sharp that the dogs gave up on that spot.
I have also put mouse traps out and that works in some areas. Good luck.

Thanks, and yes, they are digging the same spots under the bushes, tree and flower beds. I have rose bushes and I will try that. I think my husband would like the mouse trap idea. He really does not like the dogs, though. That is why I wanted to know. I am trying to fill the holes back before he sees them! I could spend all day with a shovel in one hand, and I am going back to work on Monday.

Our lab was a hole digger, till my neighbor told me to take some of her poop and drop it in the hole and cover it with dirt, took a few holes but in the end it worked like a charm. Now if you have a crazy poop eating dog this method might not work, but it can't hurt to try. ;-) :lol:

Tegerian":26zpqav1 said:
Our lab was a hole digger, till my neighbor told me to take some of her poop and drop it in the hole and cover it with dirt, took a few holes but in the end it worked like a charm. Now if you have a crazy poop eating dog this method might not work, but it can't hurt to try. ;-) :lol:

I once had a crazy poop eating Beagle, but he's been gone some time. I was thinking about the poop thing. During the day during school, they stay in a 10x10 kennel and they have never pooped in it. I was dreading the mess, but it is the one place they won't poop. I think I'll try that in a few places. UUMMM! What a nice chore that will be!

Anyone wanna help? :eek:

yes the paint ball thing works well on dogs and cats. couldn't get my cat out of the tree until i started pelting near her with paint balls. she got the idea real fast. the poo in the hole works real well.

Outrigger2

Did you get that paint ball trick from when we use to have paint ball wars a Whitehall. HA HA!! Hows are the pets doing?

The poo thing works realy good. I agree that apray with the onion and garlic doesnt work... We had a dog once that loved cayenne pepper. Paint ball sounds like fun :lol: I think I'd get the idea pritty fast and leave what ever it was alone if I was being pelted with them.

funky 4-Her":3osy8d13 said:
We had a dog once that loved cayenne pepper.

lol a buddy who's a K-9 handler told me to use Tabasco sauce to break my Lab from being so "mouthy" but she loved the stuff, weird dog.

I figure thats what dogs do. Don't fill two of the holes in and see if that satisfies them. I dont recall having an outside dog that didn't dig and sleep in the hole. If someone stole your furniture would you live in an empty house?

Walt

Lammie":1igcv7p8 said:
Is there any way to stop this? I spend every day filling in the holes they dig. I know that they do it to find a cool spot or out of boredom. I don't think they are bored...

What kind of dogs? I've generally found that if I leave the holes my dogs have dug alone, they don't dig new ones.

Mine were digging behind my plants also. I put down chicken wire. They haven't been back in there. I wouldn't mind them digging if they would do it away from the plants.

I have a three legged Walker Coonhound who had to have a front leg amputated and he only digs half as much as he used to..........?

msscamp":1d8op70n said:
Lammie":1d8op70n said:

What kind of dogs? I've generally found that if I leave the holes my dogs have dug alone, they don't dig new ones.

Weenie dogs. They are hunting moles some of the time. Sometimes they are getting a cool place to rest. I have been leaving the rest holes, as they aren't really visible. They have the instinct to hunt. They will do the same thing with toads. Staggering around frothing at the mouths and still would not leave a toad alone. I have to put them in the kennel.

the absolute most effective long term solution if they are digging in the same spot is this:

refill the hole to about 1" below level.
cover with cheap chicken wire.
cover chicken wire with top soil.

The dog will start to dig, hang their claws up on the wire and immediately stop. And never come back to that spot to dig. The wire will be there for years and never be in your way. We've lined fences with it and gates. Everyone that I know that has done that loves the results.

My older lab started teaching my pup how to dig. I quickly put the wire down and now after 6 months and intense heat, that pup will not dig anywhere. I also have a cheap plastic pool out with water, which they both use to cool off.

Update: I have decided that of all the methods suggested, the one that seems to work best is burying some dog poop in the holes. I experimented with several methods, and the dog poop holes remain undesturbed.

Thanks for all your help!

Latest posts