How much do I charge to deliver hay?

Help Support CattleToday:

SuperDave

Reaction score
I am selling 150 small squares out of my barn this wknd and the customer wants it delivered (20mi) . I am charging 2.5 to 3 out of the barn, how much would you guys add per bale to deliver? thanks

id charge 35 cents a bale to deliver the hay.that would be bout $1.25 a mile roundtrip.scott

Dave...our grower charges us an extra $5.00/ton to deliver but he is only a few miles from our place and we buy from him every year. Doesn't stack just dumps at the barn...have a son-in-law who does our bucking.
dave Mc

$1.50 to $2.00 per loaded mile is kind of standard delivery charge around here no matter if it is cattle, machinery, hay, or whatever.

El_Putzo":st5ip3hk said:
$1.50 to $2.00 per loaded mile is kind of standard delivery charge around here no matter if it is cattle, machinery, hay, or whatever.

Got anyone up there that will deliver semi loads of hay for that? I was quoated 4 bucks a laden mile from a guy in Grain City. That ends up at around 18 bucks a bale just for delivery.
I'm needing to get some hay but I'm finding the hauling is just out of sight.

dun

How many bales can he haul, how far is Grain City?

I know where Grain Valley is and that would be a pretty good truck from your place. I'll check with my neighbors that buy alfalfa from Kansas and see what kind of trucking fee that they get charged.

$4 a loaded mile seems pretty steap to me. Figure he gets 5 miles to the gallon loaded, that's about 50 cents a mile for fuel at today's price. That means he wants to charge you $3.50 a mile for his time and wear and tear. Let's see at 60 mph...... he's making about $210 an hour, minus wear and tear of course. Divide that in half to account for the trip back home. That's still $105 dollars an hour. Heck, the guys that run dozers and highlifts around here don't even make that much per machine hour. It's more like $80 to $90 per hour. I would think it has to be cheaper to run a road tractor than it is to run a dozer. Sounds to me like this guy may be trying gouge you. Bad part is, some people will take that deal instead of just selling a few cows to make it through the drought.

Sorry to ramble, just my opinion.

El_Putzo":12rvmlyp said:
How many bales can he haul, how far is Grain City?

I know where Grain Valley is and that would be a pretty good truck from your place. I'll check with my neighbors that buy alfalfa from Kansas and see what kind of trucking fee that they get charged.

$4 a loaded mile seems pretty steap to me. Figure he gets 5 miles to the gallon loaded, that's about 50 cents a mile for fuel at today's price. That means he wants to charge you $3.50 a mile for his time and wear and tear. Let's see at 60 mph...... he's making about $210 an hour, minus wear and tear of course. Divide that in half to account for the trip back home. That's still $105 dollars an hour. Heck, the guys that run dozers and highlifts around here don't even make that much per machine hour. It's more like $80 to $90 per hour. I would think it has to be cheaper to run a road tractor than it is to run a dozer. Sounds to me like this guy may be trying gouge you. Bad part is, some people will take that deal instead of just selling a few cows to make it through the drought.

Sorry to ramble, just my opinion.

You're right, ti;s grain city. (senior moment) The guy with the hay found the trucker but he thinks the guys price is too high by alot also. See if you can find anybodyto haul it and I'll send you some cow seeds. If I sold enough cows to get us through the drought I'ld probably end up selling the farm and moving to town.

dun

dun,
Have friends just off hwy 60... 70 miles west of Polular Bluff near Winona....he usually has 150-200 large round bales excess. If you are near enough..let me know I will check with them to see. Back in April he was quite happy with the fields at that time. Haven't spoke with them recently.

ctlbaron":1003kbaf said:
I'd borrow somebody's truck and trailer if I didn't have one and haul it myself.

I'm not licensed for semi's and less then 20 or so tons a load isn;t worth my time.

dun

James, not necessarily disputing your conclusion, but add in something for the time the trucker has to sit & twiddle his thumbs while the trailer is being loaded and unloaded, plus misc. other things that might not go perfectly in route, lack of a viable back haul, etc.

You are talking about square bales, right? Around here bermuda square go for $2.50 in the field and to get it delivered and stacked in the barn for $4.00. To me it's well worth it.

rc":2vpqk11h said:
You are talking about square bales, right? Around here bermuda square go for $2.50 in the field and to get it delivered and stacked in the barn for $4.00. To me it's well worth it.

Not much Bermuda around here. I think he's probably talking about a mixed grass hay with Orchard grass and clovers. Big round bales, and I believe he meant just the trucking was going to be $4 per bale. That would be over and above the price of the hay. Correct me if I'm wrong Dun.

MPR is probably talking about round coastal bermuda hay, or maybe sudan. For example, if the asking price was $30 a bale, some will deliver for an additional $4 a bale making the total cost $34 a bale.

I made that type of deal with my neighbor. $30 a bale for coastal bermuda 4x5 rounds in the field. If he hauled them, it would be another $5 a bale, so I went and got them with the tractor, since it was just across the road and down in his river bottom.

El_Putzo":ox9yeivh said:
rc":ox9yeivh said:

Not much Bermuda around here. I think he's probably talking about a mixed grass hay with Orchard grass and clovers. Big round bales, and I believe he meant just the trucking was going to be $4 per bale. That would be over and above the price of the hay. Correct me if I'm wrong Dun.

Pretty close. It's 80:20 fescue/orchard grass : clover, 1500 lbs bales. At 20 a bale and 16-18 a bale (depends on the mileage figuring) comes out to around 72 a ton.

dun

If the hay was gotten up in pretty good shape, that seems like a pretty decent price, considering the current drought conditions here. I'd say the lesser price for the hay would pretty much offset the trucking costs. JMO.

On a side note: We sold some 900 lb 4x5's of 50/50 OG and fescue hay this spring. We cut it Memorial day weekend which is ideal time for protein in this part of the country and sold it out of the field for $18 a bale.

I should of come to see you Memorial Day, EP. Right now in this area of Misery, you are looking at $90-105/ton for top quality orch/tim mix (min. 100 bales). A good many folks don't have any excess to sell this year. Most of the fescue I've seen baled up around here this year I wouldn't feed to goats. Nasty, stemmy stuff. Dun, have you used the AgEBB Hay search?Gonna be a high dollar winter.

Lee

bwranch":2t6rl6sg said:
I should of come to see you Memorial Day, EP. Right now in this area of Misery, you are looking at $90-105/ton for top quality orch/tim mix (min. 100 bales). A good many folks don't have any excess to sell this year. Most of the fescue I've seen baled up around here this year I wouldn't feed to goats. Nasty, stemmy stuff. Dun, have you used the AgEBB Hay search?Gonna be a high dollar winter.

Lee

I've been talking to several producers from the Hay search. Same problem with all of them, no hauling. I'm still trying to get enough hay in to hold me till winter, that will be a whole other ball game. Ah well, like the dog trying to poop out the peach pit, this too shall pass.

dun

Latest posts