Ayrshire cow crossed with a highland bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

farmgirlzz23

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a cross with a Ayrshire cow to a highland bull?
Would the calf size be safe for the cow?
We have 2 open Ayrshire cows and I am researching to find out if this could be an option.
They both originated from the same area so I am sure it has been done before.
Any first hand experience would be helpful!

Breed them Angus and save the creation of more mutts. Red if you don't like the black ones.

Yeah, you could, and the hairy little thing would just fall right out.
But... why would you?

Pick some BEEF breed with growth, muscle, and marbling traits to breed those girls to.

My father and I were just talking about how I would like to get into highlands and he has 2 open Ayrshire cows and not many Highlanders for sale in our area. My dad is also able to AI them for us. And Both breeds are known for doing excellent with good forage so, just trying to see if it was doable.

farmgirlzz23 said:
My father and I were just talking about how I would like to get into highlands and he has 2 open Ayrshire cows and not many Highlanders for sale in our area. My dad is also able to AI them for us. And Both breeds are known for doing excellent with good forage so, just trying to see if it was doable.

I can't see why not, if the cows have had a couple of calves already then they should be able to handle pretty much any breed except for maybe double muscled breeds. All the highlands around my area have big heads buf no more than hereford. I do want to ask your reasons for wanting highlands? Their temperament can be difficult. But i am genuinely interested to know what they have to offer as a lot of people seem to dabble with them.

I've only seen a few Highlands, they get docked pretty heavy at the stockyards. I don't think that they are used in any capacity around here other than just a pasture ornament or a true hobby. With all that hair they would be miserable in the summer here, probably spend most of the time in a creek or pond. If there is any doubt about calving I would recommend an Angus bull.

farmgirlzz23 said:
Where are you getting the info that the Highlander do excellent. Here they grow very slow even on the best of forage then bring 1/3 price when sold. Had a friend try some as grass fed beef and he finally gave up and sent them to the stockyard at 18 months weighing 500-600lb.

kenny thomas said:
farmgirlzz23 said:
Where are you getting the info that the Highlander do excellent. Here they grow very slow even on the best of forage then bring 1/3 price when sold. Had a friend try some as grass fed beef and he finally gave up and sent them to the stockyard at 18 months weighing 500-600lb.

Hard to change someone's mind that is made up and knows they're in the right.

There is a place east of here that sells grass fed beef though a restaurant in Vancouver. Belted Galloway cows and a couple of scrubby Highland bulls running with them. Beyond me why someone would use two of the slowest maturing and poorest at feed conversion breeds and hope to provide a good eating experience for customers.

[/quote]

Hard to change someone's mind that is made up and knows they're in the right.

There is a place east of here that sells grass fed beef though a restaurant in Vancouver. Belted Galloway cows and a couple of scrubby Highland bulls running with them. Beyond me why someone would use two of the slowest maturing and poorest at feed conversion breeds and hope to provide a good eating experience for customers.
[/quote]

Pretty easy to answer why they're using the two slow growing breeds, it's cuz rather than age their beef.in a cooler they're aging in.on hoof. No spoilage that way

Don't highlands have omega 3 fatty acids in their meat, something in the back of my head recalls that the meat is sought after for its ability to do this. There is a breeder south of me and he reckons they handle the heat well.

Highlanders have won a bunch of carcass competitions over the years. They trade out thicker rind fat for hair. The queen of England and royal family eat Highlander X Shorthorn beef. There are Highlanders here in the SE USA and are more able to handle the heat than the long haired Angus and SMX. Go figure.

Don't waste your time with Highlanders. Not worth the effort or money if you are serious about raising cattle. Use a calving ease Black Angus bull (or Red Angus, or Polled Hereford), and, with all of the extra milk you should have from the Ayrshire cows, you can probably make nurse cows out of them and put another calf or two on them. Now you're generating some extra income.

Most of those who say not to raise highland cross cattle have never raised them or tasted the beef.
My highland cross calves sell for the almost ,if not the same price as my dads angus cross calves. The also require less feed in put then many other breeds especially during winter to maintain body condition .wich means less hay feed,reducing cost per cow .the meat is excellant tasting.f
If you would like to try it i would suggest using a black highland bull.i prefer the older traditional more muscular types then some of the newer types.they older type will produce more pounds of meat from the same size frame

Calving ease bull? Why?
These are mature COWS, if the OP represented them correctly.
They ought to be able to deliver a good calf...no need to limit them to a lbw/calving ease bull suitable for use on virgin heifers.

Rmc said:
Most of those who say not to raise highland cross cattle have never raised them or tasted the beef.
My highland cross calves sell for the almost ,if not the same price as my dads angus cross calves. The also require less feed in put then many other breeds especially during winter to maintain body condition .wich means less hay feed,reducing cost per cow .the meat is excellant tasting.f
If you would like to try it i would suggest using a black highland bull.i prefer the older traditional more muscular types then some of the newer types.they older type will produce more pounds of meat from the same size frame

I'm prepared to give it a go.

We had a highland shorthorn cow. We got her at 7 months. She grew just as fast as the rest. We sold her at 3. She was 1200 pounds. She was docile and a big pet. We used her as a nurse cow. Only sold her as she preferred the neighbors hay field to her pasture. I miss my hairy cow.