Ayrshire cow crossed with a highland bull?

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
farmgirlzz23
Beginner
Beginner

Ayrshire cow crossed with a highland bull?

Post by farmgirlzz23 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:57 pm

Has anyone seen a cross with a Ayrshire cow to a highland bull?
Would the calf size be safe for the cow?
We have 2 open Ayrshire cows and I am researching to find out if this could be an option.
They both originated from the same area so I am sure it has been done before.
Any first hand experience would be helpful!

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Re: Ayrshire cow crossed with a highland bull?

Post by gcreekrch » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:55 pm

Breed them Angus and save the creation of more mutts. Red if you don’t like the black ones.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU

Post by Lucky_P » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:26 am

Yeah, you could, and the hairy little thing would just fall right out.
But... why would you?

Pick some BEEF breed with growth, muscle, and marbling traits to breed those girls to.

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:29 am

I think something Bos grunniens. What could go wrong?

Redgully
GURU
GURU

Post by Redgully » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:45 am

You want red poll...

farmgirlzz23
Beginner
Beginner

Post by farmgirlzz23 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:35 pm

My father and I were just talking about how I would like to get into highlands and he has 2 open Ayrshire cows and not many Highlanders for sale in our area. My dad is also able to AI them for us. And Both breeds are known for doing excellent with good forage so, just trying to see if it was doable.

Redgully
GURU
GURU

Post by Redgully » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:10 pm

farmgirlzz23 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:35 pm
My father and I were just talking about how I would like to get into highlands and he has 2 open Ayrshire cows and not many Highlanders for sale in our area. My dad is also able to AI them for us. And Both breeds are known for doing excellent with good forage so, just trying to see if it was doable.
I can't see why not, if the cows have had a couple of calves already then they should be able to handle pretty much any breed except for maybe double muscled breeds. All the highlands around my area have big heads buf no more than hereford. I do want to ask your reasons for wanting highlands? Their temperament can be difficult. But i am genuinely interested to know what they have to offer as a lot of people seem to dabble with them.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:56 pm

I’ve only seen a few Highlands, they get docked pretty heavy at the stockyards. I don’t think that they are used in any capacity around here other than just a pasture ornament or a true hobby. With all that hair they would be miserable in the summer here, probably spend most of the time in a creek or pond. If there is any doubt about calving I would recommend an Angus bull.
Last edited by Ky hills on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:03 pm

farmgirlzz23 wrote:
Where are you getting the info that the Highlander do excellent. Here they grow very slow even on the best of forage then bring 1/3 price when sold. Had a friend try some as grass fed beef and he finally gave up and sent them to the stockyard at 18 months weighing 500-600lb.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Post by gcreekrch » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:25 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:03 pm
farmgirlzz23 wrote:
Where are you getting the info that the Highlander do excellent. Here they grow very slow even on the best of forage then bring 1/3 price when sold. Had a friend try some as grass fed beef and he finally gave up and sent them to the stockyard at 18 months weighing 500-600lb.
Hard to change someone’s mind that is made up and knows they’re in the right.

There is a place east of here that sells grass fed beef though a restaurant in Vancouver. Belted Galloway cows and a couple of scrubby Highland bulls running with them. Beyond me why someone would use two of the slowest maturing and poorest at feed conversion breeds and hope to provide a good eating experience for customers.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Stanford777
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Stanford777 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:13 pm

[/quote]

Hard to change someone’s mind that is made up and knows they’re in the right.

There is a place east of here that sells grass fed beef though a restaurant in Vancouver. Belted Galloway cows and a couple of scrubby Highland bulls running with them. Beyond me why someone would use two of the slowest maturing and poorest at feed conversion breeds and hope to provide a good eating experience for customers.
[/quote]

Pretty easy to answer why they're using the two slow growing breeds, it's cuz rather than age their beef.in a cooler they're aging in.on hoof. No spoilage that way

Redgully
GURU
GURU

Post by Redgully » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:54 am

Don't highlands have omega 3 fatty acids in their meat, something in the back of my head recalls that the meat is sought after for its ability to do this. There is a breeder south of me and he reckons they handle the heat well.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:23 am

Highlanders have won a bunch of carcass competitions over the years. They trade out thicker rind fat for hair. The queen of England and royal family eat Highlander X Shorthorn beef. There are Highlanders here in the SE USA and are more able to handle the heat than the long haired Angus and SMX. Go figure.

Luckiamute
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Luckiamute » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:12 pm

Don't waste your time with Highlanders. Not worth the effort or money if you are serious about raising cattle. Use a calving ease Black Angus bull (or Red Angus, or Polled Hereford), and, with all of the extra milk you should have from the Ayrshire cows, you can probably make nurse cows out of them and put another calf or two on them. Now you're generating some extra income.

Rmc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Rmc » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:38 am

Most of those who say not to raise highland cross cattle have never raised them or tasted the beef.
My highland cross calves sell for the almost ,if not the same price as my dads angus cross calves. The also require less feed in put then many other breeds especially during winter to maintain body condition .wich means less hay feed,reducing cost per cow .the meat is excellant tasting.f
If you would like to try it i would suggest using a black highland bull.i prefer the older traditional more muscular types then some of the newer types.they older type will produce more pounds of meat from the same size frame