Best Baldy simmental/simangus bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Bull40

Reaction score
I'm looking into using a Baldy simangus/simmental bull on black angus cows. Trying to find the best one for WW and retaining heifers. Some that I've found have really low milk numbers. With retaining heifers I don't want cows that do not milk well. Thanks for any help!

Really liked the Longevity calves here, out of 3/4AN -1/4SM cows. Got mostly heifers, and they were fancy; steers were really good. Longevity calves all had baldy or blaze faces; some had more than a little 'chrome' on legs, underline. Dispositions were... very tame. Group of 4 yearling Longevity heifers was the high-selling lot in our dispersal sale.

PRS Blazin' Hot W192 (@CattleVisions) made some really nice BWF cows here, out of AN/SM-cross cows of varying %ages.

I'd use both again without hesitation.

I've got 3 Longevity calves on the ground now and plans to breed him to about 20 cows in the next 3-4 weeks. One has some white on his face but that's it.

Gotta like a bull who is advertised by showing pictures of his dam and granddam in their teens and his feet.

Couldn't get it to repost here, but I posted a photo of a Longevity calf in the 'Bring back the old colors' discussion thread here from a year or so back... page 4. Lotta chrome, out of a cow with blaze face and white udder/belly.
He grew off to be a really good steer.

Lucky_P said:
Couldn't get it to repost here, but I posted a photo of a Longevity calf in the 'Bring back the old colors' discussion thread here from a year or so back... page 4. Lotta chrome, out of a cow with blaze face and white udder/belly.
He grew off to be a really good steer.
Lucky you said disposition was fine? I messed up some on commercial herd and stacked 2 generations of not so good and went back a step here. I can't afford a waspy one in seedstock herd.

Longevity is on my short list of possible bulls for this spring as well. I have 5 cows I am thinking of using sexed semen on and try to retain some nice heifers.

Yes, good temperament. All Longevity calves were noticeably less flighty than contemporaries sired by the walking herdsire (7.0 Doc epd)
The heifers, which were kept up and fed after weaning, settled right in and were puppy dog gentle in no time.

Lucky_P said:
Yes, good temperament. All Longevity calves were noticeably less flighty than contemporaries sired by the walking herdsire (7.0 Doc epd)
The heifers, which were kept up and fed after weaning, settled right in and were puppy dog gentle in no time.

Mature weight should be ?

IDK, Steve.
Our cows were mostly 1200-1400#.
Dispersed the herd last fall, when these heifers were just short of a year of age. Our short foray back toward the Angus side of the deal jumped our mature cow size, frame and weight, significantly above that of our stabilized SimAngus base and subsequent SM-sired cows.

Starting with a black Angus cow base, I wouldn't necessarily shy away from a fb/pb Fleckvieh bull - would likely give you a black baldy/blaze face with perhaps more muscle than most of the black purebreds we've used.

I like alot of the One Eye Jack calves I have seen. Bought this Jack heifer and I really like her. Big solid heifer..

Never used OEJ - couldn't see why a yearling bull would command $100/straw right out of the starting gate - but had a handful of daughters by his sire, Long's Shear Pleasure, in the herd here. All came with a white/blaze face, and did a good job raising calves; dispositions were good - one was too smart for her own good, but that came from the dam's side of the deal.

Bull40 said:
I'm looking into using a Baldy simangus/simmental bull on black angus cows. Trying to find the best one for WW and retaining heifers. Some that I've found have really low milk numbers. With retaining heifers I don't want cows that do not milk well. Thanks for any help!

You should look at HPF OPTIMIZER.
ASA 2728015

I would take a look into Fleckvieh, but I seem to be in minority for SIMM influence.

Lucid Corvum said:
Bull40 said:

ASA 2728015

WTH are you... ;-)

callmefence said:
Lucid Corvum said:
Bull40 said:

ASA 2728015

WTH are you... ;-)

Lucid means Clear or Bright
Corvum is latin for Raven

Latest posts