Breeding Advice

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Boot Jack Bulls
GURU
GURU

Re: Breeding Advice

Post by Boot Jack Bulls » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:42 pm

I think you are in a good position to play with your matings a bit and see what you can come up with. Bulls like Primo, Slider, Roundtable, Outsider (char), Rhinestone (Char), Firewater (char), Crown Royal (Limi), Card Shark (RA) and Hamely (RA) are proven to produce really attractive stock. You should be able to produce some smokes, creams and roans with eye appeal pretty easily if your cows are fairly decent.
As for those old ghosts, they are a bit different than the current main stream. We built our herd on Wulfs Nasa and Wulfs Nobel Prize, and BR Midland. I am fortunate to still have some of each in the tank to go back on when the mood strikes. I think I even have some Montezuma (char) from years ago lol! I also have a haul of old Express Ranches embryos that we picked up on their Limi dispersal years ago. The others are of bulls we bred and some that are still walking our pastures at 9 and 10 years old. Those were not certified collections though....

Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Running R
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Running R » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:44 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:42 pm
I think you are in a good position to play with your matings a bit and see what you can come up with. Bulls like Primo, Slider, Roundtable, Outsider (char), Rhinestone (Char), Firewater (char), Crown Royal (Limi), Card Shark (RA) and Hamely (RA) are proven to produce really attractive stock. You should be able to produce some smokes, creams and roans with eye appeal pretty easily if your cows are fairly decent.
As for those old ghosts, they are a bit different than the current main stream. We built our herd on Wulfs Nasa and Wulfs Nobel Prize, and BR Midland. I am fortunate to still have some of each in the tank to go back on when the mood strikes. I think I even have some Montezuma (char) from years ago lol! I also have a haul of old Express Ranches embryos that we picked up on their Limi dispersal years ago. The others are of bulls we bred and some that are still walking our pastures at 9 and 10 years old. Those were not certified collections though....
Sweet!!
What good advice and great stories. Hats off.
Hope I can pull this off.
P

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:25 am

Running R wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:30 am
Redgully wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:29 am
How about speckle park, i am a red poll breeder and now dabbling in speckle park. Have not got any crosses yet but excited to see what they can do. Seen some very impressive crosses with other breeds. Just concerned about growth rates so will have to work that out myself.
Thought about this but, again, I have no experiences here. I will plow into the research. I love the hides on these animals but know nothing else about them. Thanks for the tip.
Are their coats homozygous for blue roaning? Do you occasionally get different colored calves with a bl rn X bl rn?
Fascinating look!
Did you breed a bl rn to a red poll shorthorn? What would you like to see from that breeding?
Where did you get your semen (or bull)?
Thank you for your help, very interesting!
I have seen and tried a few crosses with the red polls and more often than not you get orange. Charolais gives a very light ginger. Never had roan but have some maine anjou semen i want to try. Very interested to try speckle park and see what i get. I am in Australia and semen on most breeds is readily available. Not much we can't get and most breeders will have semen of bulls they bred and collected themselves but never use. Very handy for getting cheap semen!

Running R
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Running R » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:12 am

Fascinating.
I am doing my research on Speckle Park. Still trying to determine the genome.
Please let me know what your crosses were and what you end up with.
BTW, this may sound stupid but when do you calve in Australia?
Thanks,
Pete

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:50 am

Running R wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:12 am
Fascinating.
I am doing my research on Speckle Park. Still trying to determine the genome.
Please let me know what your crosses were and what you end up with.
BTW, this may sound stupid but when do you calve in Australia?
Thanks,
Pete
Speckle park do have an intetesting make up, shorthorn, british white and angus. They do carry a red gene but can't be registered if red. The crosses i have seen have held a strong speckle look if the bull was speckled. With red polls i have crossed simmental, guernsey, red angus and hereford. Always got red, orange or shades of red with white patches. I have seen them crossed with jersey (light orange) angus (black with copper shine) and charolais, light orange. There is a guy close by trying to make a new breed with a red poll grey brahman cross. Haven't seen them but suspect they will look like senepol cattle with floppy ears. In Australia where i come from most calve in march or September, which is basically spring or autumn. But there is a lot who calve year round because we don't get very cold here.

Running R
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Running R » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:54 am

Got it.
Thanks for the input.
Into looking at Speckle Park. Initially, I love the color but can't justify the rear-ends. So far, I don't think they're "beefy" enough to show. Still working on it.
Thanks for the input.
Pete

MDickinson
Beginner
Beginner

Post by MDickinson » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:58 am

We used a red shorthorn bull called Purple Eclipse about 10 years ago on our simmental/simangus cows for club calves had some really good calves both red and blue roan out of him, and his roan gene must be strong 4 generations in we finally had our first solid black calf again.

Running R
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Running R » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:19 pm

Thanks for the heads-up. My best cow is a blue roan out of a shorthorn cow and a simmental bull. I'll look up Purple Eclipse!
Sure like some more like her: color and conformation.
Pete

lms0229
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by lms0229 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:51 pm

Lady I know breeds some very thick and hardy British White cattle. She has a FB page called ‘British White Beef’ and she is out of MN. She has collected semen on several and they are phenomenal.