Beef Coop Idea

Help Support CattleToday:

GHzFarms

Reaction score
Long story short, we raise a very unheard of breed that is medium framed, fairly efficient and grades well. We have only ever fed out our own cattle, never purchased. And its been 20 yrs since we used a feedlot. I need some serious knowledge and input to see if this "Beef Coop" idea of mine is even feasible. What kind of prices/spreads are average on weaned calves? Probly uncut and unvaccinated. Trucking per mile? Any feedyards out there know a price per pound of gain? We do better with some light feed months for frame before pouring the corn in em. Where is the biggest "make it vs break it" item in this process? I know there are alot of variables in markets, so we control inputs. NOTE: cheaper price on calves is not an option. The entire point of doing this is to pay our breeders fair prices. Medium framed red calves. Finish at 1100-1200#. 61-64% yield. We sell on the rail right now to Omaha Pack, so i understand Choice/Select spreads. Any input, experience, etc would be great. Location will vary, as I would get a feedyard in Kansas to feed out our western breeders, and possibly one in Iowa or someplace for Eastern breeders.

What if you sold finished product under your own label advertise as home grown American beef? Like certified angus

In a longer time span, absolutely. Our local locker is supposed to get USDA certified this spring, and then ill be trying my hand at selling direct to consumers. If that goes well, and I need more than our personal herd, then yes absolutely. Was hoping to find a larger scale option sooner, but Ill take what I can get none the less.

Latest posts