Hallelujah to women in farming

Help Support CattleToday:

CG1

Reaction score
Everyone is away and I'm left to man the farm on my own. Woke up to my entire herd (except one) wandering our property after pushing through the fence. They ate an entire months worth of grain (hopefully they are ok), ransacked the barn, flipped over sawdust buckets, burst into the chicken coop, burst a water pipe even ate a whole bin of chicken scratch. I fixed the fence, wrangled up every single cow on foot, repaired the fence, fixed the water pipe and cleaned up this mess. All with a 2 year old by my side. Now off to my day job.

tncattle said:
I confess I had to google Stiletto Pumps. I don't know how y'all walk in those things?!

I don't know how y'all walk in cowboy boots! They kill me

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
WE are powerful!!!
What spooked them? Very unusual to knock down the board fence in the middle like that.

We've been having major major coyote issues lately. Maybe that. I've got 5 new calves on this field, so mamas have been very fast to react to any non cows in the field.

Or just rotted fencing. We get a ton of rain so wood rots deep in the ground. The post snapped right off. Can be as silly as one scratching their butt or one head butting the other into the fence. But today I put up one heck of a fight haha

tncattle said:
I confess I had to google Stiletto Pumps. I don't know how y'all walk in those things?!

I had to google it to. Not what I've always called them. I don't see how they walk in em neither, but I sure like watching em when they do ;-)

cowgal604 said:
Everyone is away and I'm left to man the farm on my own. Woke up to my entire herd (except one) wandering our property after pushing through the fence. They ate an entire months worth of grain (hopefully they are ok), ransacked the barn, flipped over sawdust buckets, burst into the chicken coop, burst a water pipe even ate a whole bin of chicken scratch. I fixed the fence, wrangled up every single cow on foot, repaired the fence, fixed the water pipe and cleaned up this mess. All with a 2 year old by my side. Now off to my day job.

Been there (less the 2 yo and the stilettos). Sometimes life gets really fun!

sstterry said:
cowgal604 said:

Been there (less the 2 yo and the stilettos). Sometimes life gets really fun!

The 2 year old is the cherry on top. Makes for a terrible day haha

I thought all my cows got away injury free after this crazy day. Then 2 days ago one of my new mamas with a young calf by her side suddenly couldn't walk. Leg was very swollen. Vet came and removed a nail from her foot! Must have been there 2 weeks. Treating her but shes still limping along. Hoping she comes out ok.

We talk about days like this using words like 'terrible' and 'awful'. The cows probably get all misty eyed remembering that time they had a grain party in the barn.

Little Cow said:
We talk about days like this using words like 'terrible' and 'awful'. The cows probably get all misty eyed remembering that time they had a grain party in the barn.

Haha totally. We always joke about what the cows were thinking. My one pet cow was standing at the broken down fence just starring out at all the other ransacking the place. I swear he was saying "shes going to be really upset when she sees y'all out there!"

My bull decided to go for a walk up to the indian reserve (2 miles), found him when he was on his way home, my neighbor called me up just before I had to head out of town "Your bull is outside my fence.. He's fine but my ram is being a arse to him"

Nesikep said:
My bull decided to go for a walk up to the indian reserve (2 miles), found him when he was on his way home, my neighbor called me up just before I had to head out of town "Your bull is outside my fence.. He's fine but my ram is being a arse to him"

Hahaha. I think you should call him "running-bull". He went down to the reserve and came back with the name haha.

We have a random long horn that walks the streets of one my rental properties in Abbotsford. First time I saw him I ran for my life. im starting to get used to him now

cowgal604 said:
Nesikep said:

Hahaha. I think you should call him "running-bull". He went down to the reserve and came back with the name haha.

We have a random long horn that walks the streets of one my rental properties in Abbotsford. First time I saw him I ran for my life. im starting to get used to him now
I sent this thread to a lady farmer friend of mine, she could totally relate!

Hector found nothing of interest at the indian reserve!

My wife runs things around here while I'm
Gone I work a 14/14 rotation 11 hours from
Home she get the occasional hand from
My grandfather if she needs it but other than that she cares for the cows the chickens dogs and 3 youngins 2months old 2 years old and 5 years old all on her own for 2 weeks I thank the lord for her everyday

Latest posts