Disappointed

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven said:
The markets are sick right now.

These were prime meat wagons you should have seen lower grading calves.
Make you want to throw up. Calves of the quality I hauled today should be at 2.00 a lb. That is where our market should be with today's inputs.
It took a great cow to bring 650 back to the farm. Same cow three years ago was 1800.

I am elated! We had a CRAZY bull calf (5 months old) that would run when you walked in the pasture. We brought him up with the group when the vet was here to do brucellosis on heifers, to casterate. When pressure was placed on him to move down the corral to get behind the chute, he broke several panels, going under and over fences (pure fear), and ran through several pens; right through very hot hotwire. The vet looked at me and said consider yourself lucky if you can get him on the trailer as is (not casterated) and no one gets hurt or killed. After the vet left, we got him back with the herd, after going through, over, and under several fences. No way we were going to wean him!
So, the next week we fortified the place, got him up with the group, tied his dam (recip) behind the chute and got them locked in. Moved the dam to the trailer, tied her in there. After him chasing us out of the run several times, and trying to slip UNDER the fence, he finally ran into the trailer. BIG SIGH OF RELIEF

Image my suprise when I got the check a few days later.... and he sold as a STEER! I almost put a bullet in him instead of risking injury to us. Glad I didn't. Looks like our prices are a little better. This was at Joplin...

1zfqtt0.jpg

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Very good price Firesweep. Glad he's gone for your sake. Care to share the sire with us? Probably something Ron did to sabotage your program. Lol.

Built Right (x Joy's Shadow). I purchased the embryos probably 8 years ago, set of three. Put two in, got a bull that was just as spooked and wild as this one, but his recip was a tick edgy, so I blamed it on her. Same senerio, lucky to get him on the trailer and offloaded at the salebarn.
When this guy was born, I scratched and rubbed all over him for about 7 days, and he was as calm as any other calf. We started haltering, and he tried to kill us. I worked that bull calf for a few months, every Sunday. Every Sunday I got more and more injured, he would rather stomp you in the ground and eat you (as a 30 day old calf!) than have you near him. We gave up when he was about 4 months old. His recip dam is one of the sweatest cows we have, and seeks your attention in the pasture. I even tried to hang out near her rear end when he was nursing; and he hated people so much he would run away and not come back to finish nursing, all while his dam would moo and walk towards him to get him to nurse (as I followed her). His embryo brother is the only other calf I have ever given up on. Some are just not worth the battle scars!

Caustic Burno said:
Hauled some mid 4 weight steers they brought near top dollar today. The prices suck.

I stopped and talked to a neighbor today and asked if he wanted me to spray his fence (opposite sides of the road) the next time I sprayed. He told me it was just not worth it and he was thinking of selling his small herd.

Dave said:
CreekAngus said:
Dave said:
That is 10-15 cents less than those size calves were here on Wednesday.

Where is the sale barn over there? Is it in LaGrande?

That was Vale. Vale is on Wednesday. La Grande is on Thursday. Both are a little over an hour from me.

Is one typically higher than the other?

CreekAngus said:
Dave said:
CreekAngus said:
Where is the sale barn over there? Is it in LaGrande?

That was Vale. Vale is on Wednesday. La Grande is on Thursday. Both are a little over an hour from me.

Of course opinions on that vary. But I am thinking Vale is a better place to sell. There was a guy here who just sold out and retired last winter. You might know him or of him as he was a dentist in Chehalis for years Larry W. He told me that you buy in La Garnde and sell in Vail. My neighbor who runs 900 pairs sells in Vale.

Dave said:
CreekAngus said:
Dave said:

He told me that you buy in La Garnde and sell in Vail. My neighbor who runs 900 pairs sells in Vale.
A pity it ain't the other way around. You could buy in vale, load them up and haul them straight to La Grande and probably make a little $$ without ever having them at your place.

Latest posts