AI breeding in hot summer conditions

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleMan1920

Reaction score
Two nights ago we bred this young cow to SAV America 8018.

[image]340[/image]

Video:

http://bit.ly/2FR22yr

The heat was not easy to detect visually, just a little bit of sniffing. Here is what the Moo Monitor was showing us, which helped greatly in our decision to breed her.

[image]339[/image]

The temps were high that day, cattle were barely moving, all of them under the trees until evening came around.

I spoke with our vet when I was picking up a bottle of GnRH and he told me that breeding in summer is very hard to do, the heats are tough to spot and the likelihood of it sticking was low. While I agree with him overall, we still have been able to successfully settle them and have a healthy calf on down the road. Hence the reason for going ahead with things.

Not sure if we got her, will know when we Biopryn test her in 28 days.

Would like to hear others input on breeding in hot summer months, successes, failures, general opinion. Thanks!

everything is harder in the summer. The cattle don't want to cooperate, they don't show heat until after dark. I believe they are a little tougher to settle. This is a big reason why we have fall calves on our AI herd.

************* said:

[image]340[/image]

Video:

The heat was not easy to detect visually, just a little bit of sniffing. Here is what the Moo Monitor was showing us, which helped greatly in our decision to breed her.

[image]339[/image]

The temps were high that day, cattle were barely moving, all of them under the trees until evening came around.

I spoke with our vet when I was picking up a bottle of GnRH and he told me that breeding in summer is very hard to do, the heats are tough to spot and the likelihood of it sticking was low. While I agree with him overall, we still have been able to successfully settle them and have a healthy calf on down the road. Hence the reason for going ahead with things.

Would like to hear others input on breeding in hot summer months, successes, failures, general opinion. Thanks!

About how much does it cost to setup that moo monitor system? What all does the data show you besides heats?

Epic failure here much past June 1 it seems. I bred 2 of my better cows and turned them out with the bull 3 weeks ago. As of this evening I'm certain he has serviced one and have a feeling he has done both.

Prior to that we have been running great 1x service conception rates as well as embryos sticking.

Dsteim said:
************* said:

[image]340[/image]

Video:

[image]339[/image]

About how much does it cost to setup that moo monitor system? What all does the data show you besides heats?

The base station is about $6k, each collar is about $200, you will need a dedicated DSL broadband connection for each base station. You could get started on a small scale for under $10k, or the costs could go up substantially as you increase collars and base stations. Depends on how big you want the system to be.

As for what else you can see besides heats, you see rumination, resting, feeding, and activity intensity in addition to behavior alerts and heat alerts. This can be invaluable because it allows you to quickly check your herd daily in a way that a visual check could never compare to. If you see rumination plummet, you had better be out looking at that cow ASAP to find out what's wrong.

WinterSpringsFarm said:
Epic failure here much past June 1 it seems. I bred 2 of my better cows and turned them out with the bull 3 weeks ago. As of this evening I'm certain he has serviced one and have a feeling he has done both.

Prior to that we have been running great 1x service conception rates as well as embryos sticking.

The heat wave has been brutal so I can understand where you are coming from.

In heat, the problem is not fertilization but attachment and retention within the two weeks after fertilization.

I bred 25 this morning, put $25 worth of patches on them, 22 I know had been in heat the other 3 felt good. Repatch in 17 days and with the bull will know. 50 bucks for 2 patches, less than blood test alone.
Gonna do more next week, i havent done to many this late before, the cattle are responding well.

bse said:
I bred 25 this morning, put $25 worth of patches on them, 22 I know had been in heat the other 3 felt good. Repatch in 17 days and with the bull will know. 50 bucks for 2 patches, less than blood test alone.
Gonna do more next week, i havent done to many this late before, the cattle are responding well.

I hope they all stick. It gonna be hot from here on out.

************* said:
Dsteim said:
************* said:

[image]340[/image]

Video:

[image]339[/image]

The base station is about $6k, each collar is about $200, you will need a dedicated DSL broadband connection for each base station. You could get started on a small scale for under $10k, or the costs could go up substantially as you increase collars and base stations. Depends on how big you want the system to be.

As for what else you can see besides heats, you see rumination, resting, feeding, and activity intensity in addition to behavior alerts and heat alerts. This can be invaluable because it allows you to quickly check your herd daily in a way that a visual check could never compare to. If you see rumination plummet, you had better be out looking at that cow ASAP to find out what's wrong.

Is there anything that you notice is different data wise between your most fertile cows and an average cow in the herd?

Dsteim said:
************* said:
Dsteim said:

Is there anything that you notice is different data wise between your most fertile cows and an average cow in the herd?

Yes, the strongest and most fertile females show up stronger on the heats than the older gals who are slowing down as age takes hold. There are a few in the herd that would have a strong heat if it were over 100, and they settle on the first try. Those are the females that we are going to flush in the future and try to get daughters from. The heat issue in the cattle business is just starting in my opinion and is going to get worse. I talked extensively to two different vets on this issue and they told me that fertility issues are popping up constantly in conversation as of late with their clients.

Is there a correlation with the most fertile ones cycling back the fastest post calving? Talking in number of days not necessarily the first one to calve being the first to cycle.

Dsteim said:
Is there a correlation with the most fertile ones cycling back the fastest post calving? Talking in number of days not necessarily the first one to calve being the first to cycle.

Absolutely, in my case that is, there are certain mommas that will cycle back very quickly. However with that said, I don't like to start breeding them back until about 75-100 days. My vet explained a lot to me about how the reproductive system in a cow needs time to repair, and that was all I needed to hear in order to not rush the process. It also allows me to get a very good idea of when her cycles are and then I can plan for AI.

Latest posts