New calving season

Help Support CattleToday:

lithuanian farmer

Reaction score
Hardly two weeks are left until the first calves hits the ground. The first one is due on the 12th of January, but I have some doubts if she won't calve abit earlier. incalf to a very nice looking Charolais bull. Will be the second calf for her.
DSCF3054.jpg

DSCF3056.jpg

https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Store/Detail/TWEEDDALE-LOOKOUT-ET The sire.
Other two cows will have calves by the same bull in January too.
DSCF3081.jpg

DSCF3083.jpg

DSCF3078.jpg
This one is due with BB calf.
DSCF3080.jpg
Incalf with Blonde calf.
DSCF3079.jpg
Incalf with Piedmontese.
DSCF3086.jpg
Probably will be the second cow calving. Incalf with Piedmontese.

Today got some snow. The temperature is changing every couple days from cold to warm, so it's really nasty outside.
DSCF3004.jpg

DSCF3119.jpg

Abit off topic. :D
DSCF3032.jpg
Spot all the cats in the pic... That's what happens when you start feeding neighbour's cat's kittens once... She decides that it's the best place to raise kittens every year and finally to start living herself...
DSCF3023.jpg

That's a funny lookin cow in the background of the second to last picture.

And so the calving season has officially started today. Have the first calf born this year. A lovely heifer at 280days gestation. Should be over 90lbs. Out of LimoxCharxdairy 2nd calver. No photos now as it's dark outside. Will post some tomorrow.

Great - you got a heifer!! Cattle look in good shape for calving. Your feeder area looks like ours. Keeps taking 50 degree temp swings. Was 9 this morning, so, woo-hoo, can walk across the mud - carefully!
We have had 10 January calves, 8 BULLS (6 are steers), and 2 heifers.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3iqd8m8q said:
Great - you got a heifer!! Cattle look in good shape for calving. Your feeder area looks like ours. Keeps taking 50 degree temp swings. Was 9 this morning, so, woo-hoo, can walk across the mud - carefully!
We have had 10 January calves, 8 BULLS (6 are steers), and 2 heifers.
Yes, very excited for the heifer. The sire's stats shows an increase of milk in daughters, so that will be very necessary, as the dam of the heifer doesn't seem to be as milky as we expected. 7 more calves in the couple following weeks and a break until March. Don't like calving at this time of the year, when it is cold or muddy, or both. No proper facilities for that yet. So it's very nice that almost all herd will calve in spring.
Temperature here was ~10-23F for the past week or so. The mud is getting harder, but still not frozen enough for the tractor in some places. The weather forecast keeps showing -22F in a few weeks. Hopefully it'll change!

Backbone Ranch":2mfj42zk said:
Congrats on the first calf of the season! She sure is wide.
Thank you. Have been waiting for the new calves alot. Her sire is abit easier calving than average, but as he has two copies of Q204X, he can be quite extreme when crossed with more muscled cows. I was pretty sure that his calves shouldn't be very plain and slim at birth, as he himself is very wide.
And it is very nice to see some more colour than just red and black!

Tweeddale-Lookout-Lookout-9593.jpg
Pic of the sire. Should be just at abit over one year age for him in the pic.

So here's the second calf of this year. Piedmontesex heifer, born at 286days last night. Probably gonna weigh her soon, but at the moment she seems to be ~90lbs.
DSCF3006.jpg

DSCF3008.jpg

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1nyn6bz3 said:
Looks like a stout little bugger.
Oh, yes. She should be quite a nice one in the future. In reality she's abit wider than she looks in the photo. Her mom is a tank.
DSCF3103.jpg

And I really like her previous heifer from a Limousine bull.
DSCF3194.jpg

Can't await to see the little one grow. Really like this cow family.

Have weighed the little one. Well, she's heavier than expected. 107.8lbs.
The Charx heifer has been let out from the pen with her dam. Have met her new friends. Already 11 days old and shaping up well.
DSCF3042.jpg

DSCF3004.jpg

DSCF3045.jpg
Getting to know other calves in their separate pen.

Another one in for calving. Should have a calf by the evening. Will be another white calf, 3/4Char. 285days gestation. Cow is a pro at calving, 10years old, so there should be no trouble.
WP-20190120-15-44-09-Pro.jpg

Have the first bull calf born this year. I'd say he should be one of the biggest calf we had in the past couple years. Will weigh him tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was around 120lbs... Very nice shape on him... and colour too. I was so sure that this calf will be white. Well, I was quite off. Pics tomorrow too, but he is two-coloured... :shock:

lithuanian farmer":3f767m6i said:
Have the first bull calf born this year. I'd say he should be one of the biggest calf we had in the past couple years. Will weigh him tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was around 120lbs... Very nice shape on him... and colour too. I was so sure that this calf will be white. Well, I was quite off. Pics tomorrow too, but he is two-coloured... :shock:
Will be interesting to see him.