Hydraulic Dovetail Equipment Trailers

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
I need to replace an equipment trailer sometime in the next couple of years, and would like to get one this go round with a hydraulic dovetail. Considering a 32' dual tandem with 12k axles, low profile frame, torque tube and likely going to spring for electric over hydraulic brakes this time. Giving some thought to hydraulic jacks and the Hutch style suspension, anyone here have any thoughts/advise on any of this? The two manufacturers that keep catching my eye are Load Trail and PJ, though it seems the latter is built a little stouter.

Any advise or recommendations would be appreciated, thanks.

We're looking for the same thing. How about Gatormade and Go Bob's trailers? Swartz in Montezuma Ga quoted me a little over $16k for a 35' with hydraulic jacks and dove tail and 12k axles and 14ply tires. It's by far the best price for what I want, just don't know how heavy duty of a trailer they are.

I've never seen a GoBob in person, so I can't comment on them. Their dovetail lift mechanism is pretty unique, that could be a good thing or a bad thing - depending on how you look at it.

There's a few standard tail Gatormade trailers in my area, I've never been very excited about them to be honest.

Gatormade has awful reviews. Fencer down the road bought a Diamond C with hydraulic dove this summer. He likes it so far. I have a Diamond C bumper pull, and it has been a good one. My big trailer is a Hank, but not sure if they build a hydraulic dove. I'm a good ways past a decade of rough service on that one, and no complaints.

Im looking for the exact same trailer . I want the hydro dovetail and the hydraulic jacks to run off the same pump and use same remote . Ive found the hydraulic jacks can be added to the hydraulic dove trailers fairly cheap with some manufacturers others use self contained different systems and make it pricey ! . Gatormade does not offer this option so they are out for me . Looking hard at Diamond C . LoadTrail and Texas Pride seem to be the best prices . Diamond C and PJ top of the line . Hydraulic disc brakes with 17.5" 16 ply tires would be the mother load

And Diamond C has a preloaded high tensile I beam that is pierced. 14", I think. I like the 27' with jumbo ramps instead of the hydraulic dove.

True Grit Farms":3c8yc496 said:
We're looking for the same thing. How about Gatormade and Go Bob's trailers? Swartz in Montezuma Ga quoted me a little over $16k for a 35' with hydraulic jacks and dove tail and 12k axles and 14ply tires. It's by far the best price for what I want, just don't know how heavy duty of a trailer they are.

They are one of the best built that I have ever seen. At least the older ones were and ownership hasn't changed so I see no reason to assume the quality has. Go hook to one and pull it for a "test drive". Incredibly heavy built. That one ton will pull it fine but it's heavy on a SRW truck. I run across them from time to time. If I see what you're looking for I will make sure to let you know.

Thanks for all of the responses. I've never heard of Diamond C, will look them up.

Any thoughts on the 17.5" tires? I've been told that I can't change them on my tire changer here at the house because of how the rims are made.

Diamond C, PJ, and Load Trail are all nice trailers. Maxxd by Maxey trailers are also good and maybe priced a little less. All the shops are within 75 miles of each other so pretty much built the same. If you don't mind making another road trip you could call Paul at Centerpoint trailers in Reno, Tx or 271 trailer sales in Paris. Both have good prices since they are close to the factories.

Lucky":3524t6vp said:
Diamond C, PJ, and Load Trail are all nice trailers. Maxxd by Maxey trailers are also good and maybe priced a little less. All the shops are within 75 miles of each other so pretty much built the same. If you don't mind making another road trip you could call Paul at Centerpoint trailers in Reno, Tx or 271 trailer sales in Paris. Both have good prices since they are close to the factories.

Thanks, I just bookmarked both of them.

Gatormade are junk and pull like dead weight. I had a 25+5 for 2 years. I replaced it last year. Did not get a hydro dove but did a lot research and bought a corn pro. Could not be happier. I was very interested in the go bob also, called and priced one. Just could not find one to see in person. After having some of each i much perfer a good paint job over powder coat.

littletom":1gj3j1gn said:
After having some of each i much perfer a good paint job over powder coat.

I could not agree more. Powder coating has its place, just not on trailers/farm equipment.

cfpinz":7sjfiqbx said:
littletom":7sjfiqbx said:
After having some of each i much perfer a good paint job over powder coat.

I could not agree more. Powder coating has its place, just not on trailers/farm equipment.

I'm still on the fence on this one. Powder coat looks good and will stay looking nice for years. Problem is farm equipment takes a beating and there's no way to easily repair a powder coat finish. I like the powder coat on my skirted flatbed but don't think it would work on a hay bed. I also like it on my Cattle Trailer but think a gooseneck flat deck should have a good paint job.

Powder coat on a Gatormade stays looking good for about a month to six weeks. I have one steel flatbed on a truck it's a painted gooseneck brand has held up well. Other truckbed is aluminum mixed feelings on that. I don't want powder coat in my life.

Did you ever buy one Pinz? Looking at one pretty hard now. My trailers are starting to show their age and backing a hay Tedder up the ramps is less than ideal. Thinking it will make loading equipment so much easier. Anybody else got any feedback. Thanks

Take a look at Iron Bull trailers. They started out building flatbeds and dump truck beds then moved into trailers. The factory is down the road from PJ, Maxxd, load trail, Lamar etc. I ordered a gooseneck lowboy to haul the skid steer on from them last week, just seemed the best built trailer for the money. If you are going as far as hydraulic dove and jacks might look into air suspension too. 271 trailer sales in Paris, Tx is a dealer for them and has great prices.

Anybody got any experience or feedback on a Trailerman brand trailer? The price is good, sometimes that means nothing, sometimes everything. They look well built but would like to have some in service feedback.

SmokinM said:
Did you ever buy one Pinz? Looking at one pretty hard now. My trailers are starting to show their age and backing a hay Tedder up the ramps is less than ideal. Thinking it will make loading equipment so much easier. Anybody else got any feedback. Thanks

Yes. Wound up getting a 32' Load Trail with the 10' hydraulic dove, 12k hydraulic discs and hydraulic jacks - along with few other options. It came down to the Load Trail and Diamond C in the end, both had good points and bad and price difference was negligible.

I absolutely love the trailer with 20 rolls or a 15k tractor on it, but it pulls horrible empty and has a nice shimmy around 35 mph. I put 14 ply tires on it after buying it (didn't like the name brand LT offered) and didn't balance them, so that may be the issue. I ordered it with 1/2" square stock on the dovetail for traction and it was delivered with 1" square stock which is way too aggressive and hard on tedder tires, etc. If doing it over again, I would use the inverted angle iron instead.

Swing by the house and check it out if you like, I'll provide the Natty Light. Or better yet, buy one of the Diamond C's and we can compare notes!

Lucky said:
Take a look at Iron Bull trailers.

I've seen 2 of those with hydraulic tails that were severely mangled, and a mechanic in a dealership that sells/services Iron Bull trailers told me to run the other way. Take that as you will.

cfpinz said:
Lucky said:
Take a look at Iron Bull trailers.

I've seen 2 of those with hydraulic tails that were severely mangled, and a mechanic in a dealership that sells/services Iron Bull trailers told me to run the other way. Take that as you will.

Oh boy. Hope I didn't make a mistake ordering one. I looked the type I ordered over pretty good and compared it to Delco and PJ. It had a few details I liked better but that doesn't say much for build quality.

Latest posts