Trying something new "for us anyways"

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
We are working with our ag extension agent in a program of plasticulture this year. We have about a half acre in that and then probably a 1/4 acre that will be conventional.
The folks that support organic and no spraying of herbicides and pesticides won't like this but if it works out I am looking forward to picking vegetables without fighting through the weeds only to throw half of the produce away due to bugs and blights.

If the plastic works and you are not using alot of chemicals then go for it. I don't have anything against plastic if it makes the grower money, saves time, and gives a good crop and still not using alot of poisons.

lots of plastic used here for vegetables and melons . the Drip tape is laid when the plastic is laid . if you have nut grass the plastic is no match for it. You also will have to be very careful stepping on it and it will tear pretty easy.

Ky hills":31ehe2qi said:
We are working with our ag extension agent in a program of plasticulture this year. We have about a half acre in that and then probably a 1/4 acre that will be conventional.
The folks that support organic and no spraying of herbicides and pesticides won't like this but if it works out I am looking forward to picking vegetables without fighting through the weeds only to throw half of the produce away due to bugs and blights.

Looks good... I would like to try it one day but for me its much simpler running the tractor and cultivator through it.

The plastic sounds good and will save a lot of work and less chemicals. My question is, will the plastic last? From what I have seen of black plastic the last few years it is so biodegradable it will go all to pieces in less than two months.

It's much smaller scale than that but for the last two years Ive laid black 6 mil plastic over my garden and cut little square holes to plant veggies.
It's worked pretty good. Keeping it held down when the wind blows is a challenge.
As I said it's way smaller scale but I just make a small slit in the plastic at the end of each row and slide the garden hose in to water.
Here where we have 100 degree heat and wind most everyday is seem to conserve water and and not dry out as quick.

Latest posts