Disposition of Ten-X sons?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Disposition of Ten-X sons?

Postby TCRanch » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Tom, I've kept calves out of a bull that was immediately sold after he tried to take out my husband and they've turned out great. Two are on their 2nd calf, 1 is a 1st calf heifer. One is even named Sweetie Pie. But I also sold more than I kept; retain judiciously.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:23 pm

wbvs58 wrote:I think he should go as well. With handling bulls I do not take any nonsense from them but as they mature i will not put myself into a direct confrontation with them as in head on, I leave that to my dog Jed to do, he will bite them on the nose and grab hold of their cheek and turn them back very effectively and once turned I will come in and drive them along with his help. If you challenge them head on and you lose, you have lost your power over them for ever, best to avoid that direct confrontation. When I am working my bulls my dog Jed will be lying in the adjacent yard and they know he is there and they toe the line, Jed is quick to move if any of them give any $hit.

Ken

Tom needs a "Jed".
0 x
It's the ECONOMY stupid!

Ebenezer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Ebenezer » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Did you ever suspect the problems from the dam side? I've noticed that disposition can skip generations and the dam can reintroduce the foolishness as well as the bull.
2 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:43 pm

Ebenezer wrote:Did you ever suspect the problems from the dam side? I've noticed that disposition can skip generations and the dam can reintroduce the foolishness as well as the bull.

Excellent point. That explains why 95% of our calves are cool as cucumbers but there are some that are well let's just say, challenging.
0 x
It's the ECONOMY stupid!

Coosh71
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Coosh71 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:40 pm

Sorry to hear that about your bull, but let me be an echo also... We do not have a cow, bull, horse, dog or a rooster that is a problem animal. Too busy to put up with it. There are those out there that like a "rodeo" every time they handle their cattle... Good for them, but not me. Had a good black Angus bull chase me out of a pasture 1 time... He's dog food. Had a great cow go nuts on me and pinned my leg against a pen wall as I was jumping over (I was down for 10 days), turned and chunked my wife over a gate. She's gone. Didn't take her to the sale took her to the processor. Good luck but act now before you get hurt.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:19 am

Ebenezer wrote:Did you ever suspect the problems from the dam side? I've noticed that disposition can skip generations and the dam can reintroduce the foolishness as well as the bull.

I was surprised that wasn't brought up on page 1.. My thoughts exactly.. Was he an ET calf? what was the biological dam? how was the mother? a stunned c&nt of a cow can teach their calves all sorts of bad habits... I have a whole family of cows that are going to grow wheels since they ALWAYS work my fences no matter how good the grass is.

We didn't always have the luxury of having good cows with good temperaments to keep replacements from, but now every one of them, bulls included better be cool headed..
I know my bulls (and cows) are more friendly and social than many people here like, they aren't scared of me, they don't see me as a threat, but they still know I can get mad.. It's impressive to have 2500 lb bulls come up for a scratch, but I wouldn't keep him around if I had an inkling there was any aggression there.. NO SNORTING, NO PAWING!!. Same bulls will beat each other or any other bull up, I don't care.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Breeds Board”