Brahman

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver":yvqdi20m said:
ALACOWMAN":yvqdi20m said:
Silver":yvqdi20m said:
I worked for an outfit when I was fresh out of high school, ran a bunch of black cattle. Bought a bunch of Brangus bulls, turns out you can't use them here.
No doubt... I bet your cattle"""as nice as they are""""wouldn't be the same animal down here

That's a fact

Reason we couldn't use them was the bulls froze a pretty essential part of their anatomy. We did get some females from them, and I thought they were a better beef animal than straight BA, although at that time temperament was an issue.
hadn't thought about the frozen Wacker..yet another reason they don't work in cold climates..

Brute 23":xiymx3ng said:
We sold calves last week and got 1.88 on bulls #300-400, 1.58 on #450-500 bulls, 1.25 on heifers #650-750. They all had Brahman influence.

How much Brahman influence are we talking? Do you have any pics of the calves? I suspect the .90 had more to do with the quality of the animal than the breed.
50% Brahman 50% Angus. The calves looked good. 7-8 months old. Between 500-600 lbs. Around here, it's all about black and absolutely no ear. Black baldies do very well if not better. All but one of my remaining calves are black or black baldies. I think I hit the sale at the wrong time too. My full time job isn't too flexible and I took them when I had a chance.

Caustic Burno":1q41ktd3 said:
ALACOWMAN":1q41ktd3 said:
Where do those calves go from there??

I would think it's more of a quality issue. Lots of folks in Oklahoma running Brahman operations.
Most here Cowman go to the panhandle or Greeley Co.
Here is last Tuesday price at Crockett the vast majority are Brahman cross calves headed to the same spot.
http://www.easttexaslivestock.com/market-reports/
Very few Brahman cattle out in Southwestern OK. I know of one ranch around Cordell and that's it. I don't see the Herefords around like I did when I was younger. All black cattle with some red Angus here and there.

AZAggie":2bz380gc said:
Brute 23":2bz380gc said:
We sold calves last week and got 1.88 on bulls #300-400, 1.58 on #450-500 bulls, 1.25 on heifers #650-750. They all had Brahman influence.

How much Brahman influence are we talking? Do you have any pics of the calves? I suspect the .90 had more to do with the quality of the animal than the breed.
50% Brahman 50% Angus. The calves looked good. 7-8 months old. Between 500-600 lbs. Around here, it's all about black and absolutely no ear. Black baldies do very well if not better. All but one of my remaining calves are black or black baldies. I think I hit the sale at the wrong time too. My full time job isn't too flexible and I took them when I had a chance.

Black Angus or Red Angus? They weren't all black with that cross?

#500-600 is light for an F1 at 7-8 months.

AZAggie":39inwjit said:
ALACOWMAN":39inwjit said:
I'm not sure. Probably to the TX panhandle. I'm almost exactly half way between Oklahoma City and Amarillo right on I-40.

Are you around the Elk City, OK area? Just curious. We sell there and at Woodward. Elk is a little closer.

AZAggie":3mp94hb6 said:
My Brahman experiment is over. I took some Brahman/Angus cross calves to the sale Friday and got killed. Around here, if they aren't black or black baldies, they aren't worth your time.I was expecting to get docked some, but I got more for an old cow with a bad foot then I did for a 600 lb steer.

It's not the best time to be selling. US Farm Report said we are in a glut of beef, chicken, and pork right now. On top of that, you can usually expect less for a Brahman F1 in the fall than in the spring.

Farm income is down for the third year in a row. The big Wigger Ranch in Louisiana has 700,000 acres. They just put most of it in the federal conservation program.

You gotta have a plan b, c, and d to make money this year and the next few years. Too many people over expanded trying to compensate for lower prices.

elkwc":2ye7de7z said:
AZAggie":2ye7de7z said:
ALACOWMAN":2ye7de7z said:
I'm not sure. Probably to the TX panhandle. I'm almost exactly half way between Oklahoma City and Amarillo right on I-40.

Are you around the Elk City, OK area? Just curious. We sell there and at Woodward. Elk is a little closer.
Yes. I took them to Elk City. I live outside of Sayre.

wacocowboy":1qbp4w0n said:
Did the buyer wear a mask and have a gun?

Around here those calves if good would of been toward the top of the market.
Unfortunately I didn't see who bought them.

AZAggie":i4learay said:
elkwc":i4learay said:
AZAggie":i4learay said:

Yes. I took them to Elk City. I live outside of Sayre.

I figured you must live in that area by your comment. We used to sell everything at Woodward except for a single every year or so. Have started taking more down there. Have had just a good of results and 10 miles or so closer. With their big sales a person needs to take them a day early at Woodward. I take it you were there last Friday? I was in and out a few times. Then we left as we knew it would be later before ours sold. We were pleased with what they brought for what they were.

I'm guessing the calves sold late. I'm sure my timing was bad too. I should have taken them in a month ago. Woulda, coulda, shoulda...

Latest posts