Excessive Vet Charges At Sale Barn?

Help Support CattleToday:

TexFarmer

Reaction score
I took 3 donkeys to the sale barn this past weekend and they averaged around $200 a head. On the payment stub it shows a $90 charge for vet services. That seems like a lot especially since there's no description of what vet services were performed and they were healthy animals when I dropped them off. This is the first time that I've sold any donkeys at the sale barn so I'm unsure if these are standard costs associated with selling donkeys?

RanchMan90":5i8c9l1g said:
Coggins tests. It's $40-50 per head here.

Here is the range of cost:

The cost of a Coggins test of course can vary but we have seen them in the range of $20 on the low side to $100 on the high side depending on how much work the vet has to do, the location of the horse and distance to the lab.

You got 600 bucks for 3 donkeys??? I'm gonna round up everyone I can find here and haul them to your barn. Last one i saw sell here brought $2.50

Craig Miller":zm8ej0bk said:
You got 600 bucks for 3 donkeys??? I'm gonna round up everyone I can find here and haul them to your barn. Last one i saw sell here brought $2.50
$645 in gross sales. I was surprised myself, figured I might get $50 a head. You guys are right about the Coggins test. It says "Coggins" right on the slip but I missed that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqGq_oyMPig

Dropped wire off at his neighbors house last night, and the neighbor tells me that he just paid $200 for a donkey.....but she's bred. I can't decide it it's inflation, a strong donkey market, or if it's still a hundred bucks per donkey? The neighbor is a vet, so maybe he gets a deal to keep the donkey overhead down?

Caustic Burno":2d7qm5cz said:
Are they eating donkey somewhere?
It is cheaper here to shoot one than pay for the Coggins.

hahahhaha :lol2:

Not sure what the charge for Coggins is around here, but ain't seen donkeys bring that a stockyards. The exception was at a Santa Gertrudis sale. where a donkey was donated to sell to raise money for their junior association. I think ever SG breeder in the building must have put in on it, can't remember what it brought exactly but $600 seems to me what it was. Then when they sold it back, to actually sell it may have brought around $100.

As far as selling horses at the stockyards, I heard somebody say a while back that one stockyards was charging something $50 dollars up front to sell them so they would at least get their commission. I reckon that's true, as I believe who told me, just not sure about some of his potential sources.

Ky hills":ot8z07ou said:
As far as selling horses at the stockyards, I heard somebody say a while back that one stockyards was charging something $50 dollars up front to sell them so they would at least get their commission. I reckon that's true, as I believe who told me, just not sure about some of his potential sources.

I saw one go through with no bidders. Seller said he'd give the saddle to whoever bought the horse. Somebody stood and said i'll give you 200 for the saddle. The seller said I'll sell it to you if you'll take the horse for free. The guy said no thanks.

Craig Miller":20rwoqf4 said:
Ky hills":20rwoqf4 said:

I saw one go through with no bidders. Seller said he'd give the saddle to whoever bought the horse. Somebody stood and said i'll give you 200 for the saddle. The seller said I'll sell it to you if you'll take the horse for free. The guy said no thanks.

I don't know where it happened or if it even did, but I have heard some folks say that if you go to a horse sale, you might come out of the sale to find a horse tied to your trailer. There have also evidently been some instances of folks letting horses loose on some of the abandoned strip mines in east KY.

Caustic Burno":1wh029s8 said:
I got an old Jenny that I know is pushing 40 cause I have had her that long. She still has a full set of teeth.

We've got a old Jenny that was bought when I was 9. Which makes her 40+
I've told the story before. But my grandmother loved that donkey and made me promise to let her live out her life here..so she will.
God's truth...I walked in the kitchen one day and that donkey was looking in the window. I went outside and all the yard gates were closed. I didn't think to much of it .stuff happens .until a few hours later when mom called and told me grandma had passed.

Hmm. Lab where I work runs Coggins all day long for $6.75.
Vet charges associated with collection of sample and getting it to the lab would be above that.

I was gifted a donkey, early last week. Good roping practice. Better than a heelomatic imho. I put a boom pole on the back of the red belly, and pull it around in 4th gear. Sleds are fine for heading, but teach bad habits on heeling.

everyone told me to get a donkey to guard my sheep and goats..

i went through 4 donkeys and they all sucked. didn't protect anything except their own babies and ate as much hay as a horse.

these guys come here to the sale barns and buy up all the horses and then take them to canada to be slaughtered.. they bought horses for near free to a couple hundred bucks.. they told me the prices they got up north but I can't remember... it was quite a lot. maybe a canadian member can fill us in?

I happened to see two trailer loads full of horses go through town yesterday afternoon. I figured that somebody was taking them to a processing plant somewhere.

Latest posts