No Oats this fall

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

No Oats this fall

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:49 am

This is the first year I'm not planting and oats till spring.. .It is so dry here I have begun feeding hay and see no reason to plant oats so I will do it this spring. I can't believe how dry its been.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: No Oats this fall

Postby callmefence » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:32 am

skyhightree1 wrote:This is the first year I'm not planting and oats till spring.. .It is so dry here I have begun feeding hay and see no reason to plant oats so I will do it this spring. I can't believe how dry its been.

We got enough to get oats up. Lost a few acres to hogs. And have started to see a sprinkling of army worms. Got down to 51 two nights consecutive which will at least slow their roll a few days.
Wheat is a dam good pinch hitter in your situation sky. You'll have to wait on it but not as long as spring oats.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:52 am

callmefence wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:This is the first year I'm not planting and oats till spring.. .It is so dry here I have begun feeding hay and see no reason to plant oats so I will do it this spring. I can't believe how dry its been.

We got enough to get oats up. Lost a few acres to hogs. And have started to see a sprinkling of army worms. Got down to 51 two nights consecutive which will at least slow their roll a few days.
Wheat is a dam good pinch hitter in your situation sky. You'll have to wait on it but not as long as spring oats.

Yea can do wheat but the oats and clover hay is what i plan on selling so dont want to put wheat in those fields but its fine in my pastures.. very weird year here
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

chevytaHOE5674
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:43 am

Opposite here too wet to do anything. Have a field I plowed up last fall for this spring planting. Was too wet (ie standing water in places) for all but a few days at the end of July when I was busy with hay. So there it still sits and with 5+ inches of rain in the last 7 days and a rain predicted every other day it looks like it will sit fallow until next spring.

Should have hosted a mud bog and charged for admission.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:09 am

We got 3.5" rain from hurricane Irma and that really bailed us out. This year using a Hay Buster no -till drill was the difference between a decent crop and no or very little winter crop. I planted half my property with my double disc 8200 JD and had to replant it all. Working the land up dried it up so much, the seed germinated and then it died. These hot 90+ days sure aren't helping anything. Sky, I'm planning on drilling more oats in January to bale in April - May for hay.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:22 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:Opposite here too wet to do anything. Have a field I plowed up last fall for this spring planting. Was too wet (ie standing water in places) for all but a few days at the end of July when I was busy with hay. So there it still sits and with 5+ inches of rain in the last 7 days and a rain predicted every other day it looks like it will sit fallow until next spring.

Should have hosted a mud bog and charged for admission.

feast or famine is the name of the game and you can really make alot of money holding those events .

True Grit Farms wrote:We got 3.5" rain from hurricane Irma and that really bailed us out. This year using a Hay Buster no -till drill was the difference between a decent crop and no or very little winter crop. I planted half my property with my double disc 8200 JD and had to replant it all. Working the land up dried it up so much, the seed germinated and then it died. These hot 90+ days sure aren't helping anything. Sky, I'm planning on drilling more oats in January to bale in April - May for hay.

I think I may try to do some in march and see what happens I could drill it but I prefer to broadcast then disc. I need to chisel plow and disc up those fields really well but as you said I don't think I will have a good outcome. Normally atleast get some rain once a week but seems get rain once every 3 months this year.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”