? Heifers mounting each other

Help Support CattleToday:

Roger/OH

Reaction score
We have three heifers in a small pasture that my grandkids show, I saw one mounting another. Is it the mounting heifer or the mounted one that is cycling? The one mounting will not work with my bull. If the mounting one is the one that is cycling, could I use this date as a guideline to AIing her? How many days between cycles?

Roger/OH":qpnk2wg1 said:
Is it the mounting heifer or the mounted one that is cycling?

The one that will STAND for the other to ride her is the one cycling.

Roger/OH":2vjptzie said:
We have three heifers in a small pasture that my grandkids show, I saw one mounting another. Is it the mounting heifer or the mounted one that is cycling? The one mounting will not work with my bull. If the mounting one is the one that is cycling, could I use this date as a guideline to AIing her? How many days between cycles?

A cow/heifer in heat will often try to mount other cattle early in her heat, then finally stand to be mounted herself. If she's not in heat, she will not stand. When she tries to mount the others, they will run out from under her. A cow/heifer cycles about 19-21 days.

Frankie":30d8rfeu said:
A cow/heifer in heat will often try to mount other cattle early in her heat, then finally stand to be mounted herself. If she's not in heat, she will not stand. When she tries to mount the others, they will run out from under her.
I am still a little confused. la4angus said it was the mounting cow. Frankie said "If she is not in heat, she will not stand" I have often seen them mount eachother, but the mounted one always ran away. This time the mounted heifer just stood there and left the other mount her. Do I have one in standing heat and the mounting one coming in?

The one "standing" and allowing the other to mount her is the one who is "in". The one doing the mounting could possiblybe coming in.
Average of 18 to 21 days per cycle.

Katherine

Roger/OH":14rkhtq1 said:
I am still a little confused. la4angus said it was the mounting cow.

Read this carefully. This is what I said.
"The one that will STAND for the other to ride her is the one cycling."

My yearling heifers have a normal cycle of 17-19 days - usually 17 or 18 days.
When you have a heifer in heat - all the other heifers may ride her, this does not mean that they are coming into heat, but they could be. Confusing, I know, but if you find a heifer jumping all the others (and they are NOT standing) than the jumping heifer is PROBABLY coming into - or is in - heat. Watch for her to return to heat in 17-21 days. If you see her STANDING for others in the morning, you call your tech & have him breed her that evening. If she is standing in the PM, you breed in the AM.

la4angus":18rycd03 said:
You are so right and I sincerely apologize for miss quoting you. I caught it when I was reviewing all posts today. I had heard and my grandaughter said the FFA teacher said it was the mounting cow that was cycling. I was suffering from a little tunnel vision when I first went through the postings.

Thanks to all who posted. Now I have a handle on when the STANDING Hiefer will come in again. I will mark the calander and be observent next month. I would like to have an April calf next year, but we have several shows June/July so we wouldn't be turning her out till Aug. If I can determine when she is comming in, I can turn her the week she is scheduled to come in. Thank you all

Roger/OH":30chikwi said:
la4angus":30chikwi said:
You are so right and I sincerely apologize for miss quoting you.Thank you all

You're welcome and no apology necessary.

Roger/OH":355ifh39 said:

The female that is standing still, allowing others to mount her, is the one that is in heat. She will be discharging clear mucus too, and you will also be seeing a terrific hair do on her tail head!! ... if you are AIing, you need to wait 12 hrs before breeding her, allowing time for the eggs to arrive to the womb...

Latest posts