Clothes Leaving the House

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a different view. Culture has changed, in work and out. In my profession button shirt with tie was required, now a Polo shirt is acceptable. I am glad, its more comfortable managing a restaurant in that. Being in a hot greasy kitchen dealing with all kinds of stuff from unclogging drains to putting away 18 wheelers trucks of food in a long sleeve shirt and tie just because we wanted to be perceived as high class was stupid. Outside of work you will only catch me in boots, jeans and a T-shirt. Even at church, jeans, Polo shirt and my nice boots. The Lord does judge me on how nice my clothes are, only my heart and my actions. I have gotten to the point I don't care what people around town think of me for looks. I will walk into Wal Mart covered in mud and grease smelling of cow turds and think nothing of it.

My son and I worked cattle this morning and took some calves to town. I had a good amount of fresh residue on my shirt, so I waited in the truck and sent him into the Donut Palace for our breakfast. It actually occurred to me that some folks might not appreciate me walking in with that on my shirt while they're eating.

BK9954":3tsyj024 said:
I have a different view. Culture has changed, in work and out. In my profession button shirt with tie was required, now a Polo shirt is acceptable. I am glad, its more comfortable managing a restaurant in that. Being in a hot greasy kitchen dealing with all kinds of stuff from unclogging drains to putting away 18 wheelers trucks of food in a long sleeve shirt and tie just because we wanted to be perceived as high class was stupid. Outside of work you will only catch me in boots, jeans and a T-shirt. Even at church, jeans, Polo shirt and my nice boots. The Lord does judge me on how nice my clothes are, only my heart and my actions. I have gotten to the point I don't care what people around town think of me for looks. I will walk into Wal Mart covered in mud and grease smelling of cow turds and think nothing of it.

I agree that culture has changed. It always had and it always will. I don't think people should wear a suit everywhere they go; I sure don't. I just wonder at what point looking like a slob or showing a little more skin than people really want to see everywhere one goes became ok.

Some people who dress down regularly often claim ones who dress a little snazzier are just trying to show off or get attention. But I feel like the ones who look tacky are the ones seeking attention at least subconsciously. Why else would someone try to look like a hobo when the occasion calls for decent attire?

herofan":37bg4lgb said:
BK9954":37bg4lgb said:

I agree that culture has changed. It always had and it always will. I don't think people should wear a suit everywhere they go; I sure don't. I just wonder at what point looking like a slob or showing a little more skin than people really want to see everywhere one goes became ok.

Some people who dress down regularly often claim ones who dress a little snazzier are just trying to show off or get attention. But I feel like the ones who look tacky are the ones seeking attention at least subconsciously. Why else would someone try to look like a hobo when the occasion calls for decent attire?
I have no expectation of anyone to dress a certain way except my wife and children, and that's because of sexualizatuon. Be it church or a funeral, come as you are. Some people are lazy, some have mental problems, no money or just no class. Some want to project a certain image of being rich or whatever. Some are trying to get a spouse. Maybe just got divorced and want to flaunt. I try not to judge, I have found that there are reasons behind the things people do. Some people just really don't care. One lady I know has lost all her kids to deaths, doesn't give a darn what anyone thinks, she wears and says what she wants, just had enough with life. People get offended but I couldnt imagine how she feels inside. She reached a breaking point. Sometimes there is a story behind those eyes that we don't have a clue about.

Rafter S":vj1k2c0b said:
My son and I worked cattle this morning and took some calves to town. I had a good amount of fresh residue on my shirt, so I waited in the truck and sent him into the Donut Palace for our breakfast. It actually occurred to me that some folks might not appreciate me walking in with that on my shirt while they're eating.

I differentiate between dirt from work, and a dirty appearance from laziness.

Bigfoot":11wnobpv said:
Rafter S":11wnobpv said:

I differentiate between dirt from work, and a dirty appearance from laziness.

Me too, but dirt wasn't the residue I was referring to. Which reminds me of something my father used to say when one of us would get some on our clothes: "That's okay, it's clean s**t. It hasn't been on the ground."

When I was a kid, we had a neighbor who's father would come to south Alabama from Ohio to visit his daughter. He would ride a bus the whole way. His words: "I learned real quick to dress like a bum. You get a whole seat to yourself". He sure wasnt a bum, but he learned to use his appearance to his advantage.

I sometimes look st those old pictures of my grandparents from the 30s, 40s, and 50s, and think how a lot of things were simpler then.

Sure, there were a lot of things that were much tougher, and we could start a thread on that, but I look at the pictures and see all the men dressed in a similar style, all were clean cut, all the women were in dresses, nobody was half naked, and everyone shared similar values regardless of religion. That probably sounds as boring as dirt to most people today, but I think I could have been ok with it.

I sometimes wish we could combine their kind of values with the modern conveniences and advance knowledge, such as medical knowledge, we have today.

I wear jeans and a t shirt most days. I will wear nice button when going out, or somewhere that matters. I don't really care about others. Except weddings and funerals show some respect. I kinda like the shorts and yoga pants on the right ones.

tater74":1h0l0fx5 said:
Rafter S":1h0l0fx5 said:
I waited in the truck and sent him into the Donut Palace for our breakfast.

Are they as good as they used to be? I haven't had one since about 1999.

Yes, they aren't bad, although we weren't having donuts for breakfast. I had a small pig in a blanket and a sausage egg biscuit. That held me until supper time.

littletom":1uufrx05 said:
I wear jeans and a t shirt most days. I will wear nice button when going out, or somewhere that matters. I don't really care about others. Except weddings and funerals show some respect. I kinda like the shorts and yoga pants on the right ones.

It's all about how you dress, I'm feeling sick.

D2Cat":2zcwg5op said:
Look at some pictures of baseball games of yesteryear. Mostly men setting in the bleachers wearing suits.

Must have been old pictures. Northwest Farm Credit had customer appreciation day yesterday. We got to go to a triple A baseball game between Tacoma Rainiers and El Paso. I didn't see a single suit. Mostly jeans and tee shirts with some wearing shorts, until the sun went down. Then sweat shirts showed up.

Clothes leaving the house... is that like when my wife takes clothes out of my closet and hauls them off to to Goodwill for a tax write-off? That's what it makes me think of every time I see the title of this thread.

I'm dating a girl now and I flat out told her I better not ever see her out in yoga pants. If your going to the gym... go... then come back... put clothes on... then go back and run your errand. I don't play that deal. I'm not against walking in to eat dinner sweaty with cow mess after working. It's one thing to be dirty from working... another to be just lazy and sloppy IMO.

Brute 23":2nwe8o25 said:
I'm dating a girl now and I flat out told her I better not ever see her out in yoga pants. If your going to the gym... go... then come back... put clothes on... then go back and run your errand. I don't play that deal. I'm not against walking in to eat dinner sweaty with cow mess after working. It's one thing to be dirty from working... another to be just lazy and sloppy IMO.

You boys take your yoga pants mighty serious. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like them, pajama pants in public now that's crossing a line.

If I have an occasion I try to dress for it, I don't wear boots at the beach or flip flops to the stockyard. I dress for comfort and practicality not to impress. I do my share of public business dirty. Chances are I am either on my way to work on something or just got done working on it, or both. If your to good to talk to me dirty, chances are your not good enough to talk to me.

SmokinM":3had5ix0 said:
Brute 23":3had5ix0 said:

You boys take your yoga pants mighty serious. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like them, pajama pants in public now that's crossing a line.

If I have an occasion I try to dress for it, I don't wear boots at the beach or flip flops to the stockyard. I dress for comfort and practicality not to impress. I do my share of public business dirty. Chances are I am either on my way to work on something or just got done working on it, or both. If your to good to talk to me dirty, chances are your not good enough to talk to me.

I agree with you. IMO yoga pants are sloppy, not stylish. I respect people who are dirty from working, not too lazy to get dressed.