Livestock Water Opinions

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Livestock Water Opinions

Postby kenny thomas » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:30 pm

In my tire tanks (900 gal) I took the suggestion of jedstivers and put 6 one gallon jugs with a cup of salt and half full of water in the tank. I also have a 10ft 2x4 in it. The jugs won't freeze and keeps a small area around it from freezing and the cows will hit the 2x4 as they drink breaking the ice and it keeps the tank open.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:48 pm

Banjo wrote:I like the Ritchie waterers best. I like the ease of access by just lifting the lid to get to the shutoff valve instead of having to find a wrench to get inside it like the Behlens. I have found even if they don't freeze inside the balls will freeze to the sides and you have to break them loose so the cattle can push them down.
The main thing with any waterer is the earth tube going down deep as possible. That keeps your supply line from freezing and the water in the tank from freezing down to a certain temperature.
Then it depends on how often they drink from it....as to when it will freeze. They say if the water in the tank does freeze just leave it alone till it thaws. I've had that happen more than once......but it doesn't seem to hurt it.
I think I would like the big rubber tires too but I've never tried them

'

i guess you need good access to fix and thaw them all the time.

:lol2:

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Postby Banjo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:37 pm

i guess you need good access to fix and thaw them all the time. " Quote ddd75 "

Yep.....My waterers are just here and there, cattle may drink out of them often or not for a few days....they have access to a pond and spring also. So the tanks may sit there for days with out any movement.

So, it sounds like yours are the peaches and cream.....do they not freeze if its below zero and nothing is drinking out of it for days? Or do you always have cattle drinking out of it constantly?

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:02 am

Banjo wrote:i guess you need good access to fix and thaw them all the time. " Quote ddd75 "

Yep.....My waterers are just here and there, cattle may drink out of them often or not for a few days....they have access to a pond and spring also. So the tanks may sit there for days with out any movement.

So, it sounds like yours are the peaches and cream.....do they not freeze if its below zero and nothing is drinking out of it for days? Or do you always have cattle drinking out of it constantly?

I can have negative temps and wind chill for a week.. no animal activity at all, go out in -5 temps first thing in the morning, and I'll have to chip a 1" piece of ice off the very top of the open water bowl. hit one side, then the other.. usually pops right out.. takes about 2 seconds. full fresh water ready.

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Postby Banjo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:03 am

ddd75 wrote:
Banjo wrote:i guess you need good access to fix and thaw them all the time. " Quote ddd75 "

I can have negative temps and wind chill for a week.. no animal activity at all, go out in -5 temps first thing in the morning, and I'll have to chip a 1" piece of ice off the very top of the open water bowl. hit one side, then the other.. usually pops right out.. takes about 2 seconds. full fresh water ready.

I don't mind learning something new. What kind is it again? Where do you get them and how much? I do have a Behlen that I may replace in the future.

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

Dueyb
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dueyb » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:49 am

I believe he's talking Cobetts and I agree they are awesome. They are made and sold in Peru, IA which is just South of Des Moines about an hour from me. Great company and people. Prices are about $650 or $850 for two sizes. I visit with lots of producers as part of my job and always ask about Cobetts when I see them installed on a farm. Literally never heard a bad thing about them. They do need to be tamped well when installed or they will push up out of the ground. Typically the problems I've seen is when they are on steep muddy side hill lots. Tamp, let settle and put rock around it and your fine. Also heard one guy had a cow step in it and break valve. That's only one out of a couple hundred I'm aware of and could have been set too low in ground.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:03 pm

ok to kinda sidetrack this just a bit. how do you keep the area around the waterers from getting so dug out from the traffic that the new calfs cant even reach it. I just have plain ole galvanized trough from tsc..200 gallon I think..but the ground around it has made it a tall drink
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:08 pm

dieselbeef wrote:ok to kinda sidetrack this just a bit. how do you keep the area around the waterers from getting so dug out from the traffic that the new calfs cant even reach it. I just have plain ole galvanized trough from tsc..200 gallon I think..but the ground around it has made it a tall drink

well they don't put the dirt in their pockets and walk off with it . just take the bucket or box blade once every now and then and push it back up there . or could lay a bunch of bags of quikcret around it then cover with dirt and
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:20 pm

yea I was thinking quikcrete actually but I was gonna dump em and water em in...idk where the the dirt goes...
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:34 pm

dieselbeef wrote:yea I was thinking quikcrete actually but I was gonna dump em and water em in...idk where the the dirt goes...
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Dueyb
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Dueyb » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:58 pm

My experience is that the cattle will settle and pack the ground around it for a few years and then good ol clay with a load of rock around it has worked for me. Putting down filter fabric under the rock is supposed to work good but I haven't done that.

Ruth_at_ritchie
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Ruth_at_ritchie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:03 pm

Dueyb - Ritchie has some options that have a high flow rate, are durable and have a 10-year warranty. From units that can be used reliably in the winter, to units that have a large drinking surface in the summer. Ritchie is made in Conrad, Iowa. Our WaterMaster and Thrifty King series will work well for the summer and our Omni Series is the most popular for year round service.

Dueyb wrote:We are subdividing our pasture into essentially six 40 acre paddocks. We take in 80 pairs and 4 bulls for long grazing season but all are gone for the winter. 3 paddocks will have natural water from either open ponds or fenced ponds with concrete freeze proof tanks (so we have some winter options if needed). We are running rural water lines to the center of each of the other 3 paddocks that don't have water and I'm having a hard time deciding which type of watering facility to install. We have plenty of water pressure and good refill rate at the site.

Cobetts? - have at home for smaller lots and absolutely love them but not sure if they'll work for 80 pairs in the summer if drinking as a group??? If they are locked on 40 acres maybe they'd drink individually and these would work? Gets pretty pricy but maybe I put two Cobetts in each pasture.

Tire tanks? - look appealing but have no experience with them. Since I'm on rural water leaks scare me with these.

Miraco Big Spring 6000 on concrete pad? Biggest producer in my area uses these and gets along good.

Hydrant and big 300 gal Rubbermaid portable tank with float - cheap and easy but probably not as durable?

Wife and I both work full time so I want something that is durable and reliable. Not really wanting to do above ground lines with quick connects but I know that's the cheapest.

Any thoughts appreciated.

TennesseeTuxedo
GURU
GURU

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:57 pm

Ruth_at_ritchie wrote:Dueyb - Ritchie has some options that have a high flow rate, are durable and have a 10-year warranty. From units that can be used reliably in the winter, to units that have a large drinking surface in the summer. Ritchie is made in Conrad, Iowa. Our WaterMaster and Thrifty King series will work well for the summer and our Omni Series is the most popular for year round service.

Dueyb wrote:We are subdividing our pasture into essentially six 40 acre paddocks. We take in 80 pairs and 4 bulls for long grazing season but all are gone for the winter. 3 paddocks will have natural water from either open ponds or fenced ponds with concrete freeze proof tanks (so we have some winter options if needed). We are running rural water lines to the center of each of the other 3 paddocks that don't have water and I'm having a hard time deciding which type of watering facility to install. We have plenty of water pressure and good refill rate at the site.

Cobetts? - have at home for smaller lots and absolutely love them but not sure if they'll work for 80 pairs in the summer if drinking as a group??? If they are locked on 40 acres maybe they'd drink individually and these would work? Gets pretty pricy but maybe I put two Cobetts in each pasture.

Tire tanks? - look appealing but have no experience with them. Since I'm on rural water leaks scare me with these.

Miraco Big Spring 6000 on concrete pad? Biggest producer in my area uses these and gets along good.

Hydrant and big 300 gal Rubbermaid portable tank with float - cheap and easy but probably not as durable?

Wife and I both work full time so I want something that is durable and reliable. Not really wanting to do above ground lines with quick connects but I know that's the cheapest.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi Ruth!
:welcome:
The more I read here the less I know.

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Here's a guy over by Manhattan, Ks that sells them, if you can't find some closer. https://ksu.craigslist.org/grd/d/water-tanks/6205386050.html

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:04 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
ddd75 wrote:depends where you are and how much freeze protection you want.

I also have cobbetts and they are awesome.

They say something like 200 hd can drink from one. check there website or call them.

tire tanks are nice but i don't like them for cold climates unless you have a constant spring to keep the water flowing.

mirafounts are good but all have frozen solid in winter here, as well as the richies.

The newer ones are insulated and in really harsh climates you can add the heater option.

We have found two things have a big impact on if they (any brand, have tried them all) freeze up or not. 1. put a heat tape around the pipe where it comes out of the ground and wind it around the pipe up to the float (replace in the summer, trust me its easier!). 2. Make sure there is adequate gravel/soil around the unit so cold air can't leak into the unit (sounds dumb, but at -20F, windchill inside the unit will make afore mentioned tape useless).
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”