Livestock Water Opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

My experience is that the cattle will settle and pack the ground around it for a few years and then good ol clay with a load of rock around it has worked for me. Putting down filter fabric under the rock is supposed to work good but I haven't done that.

Dueyb - Ritchie has some options that have a high flow rate, are durable and have a 10-year warranty. From units that can be used reliably in the winter, to units that have a large drinking surface in the summer. Ritchie is made in Conrad, Iowa. Our WaterMaster and Thrifty King series will work well for the summer and our Omni Series is the most popular for year round service.

Dueyb":1qlg3m75 said:
We are subdividing our pasture into essentially six 40 acre paddocks. We take in 80 pairs and 4 bulls for long grazing season but all are gone for the winter. 3 paddocks will have natural water from either open ponds or fenced ponds with concrete freeze proof tanks (so we have some winter options if needed). We are running rural water lines to the center of each of the other 3 paddocks that don't have water and I'm having a hard time deciding which type of watering facility to install. We have plenty of water pressure and good refill rate at the site.

Cobetts? - have at home for smaller lots and absolutely love them but not sure if they'll work for 80 pairs in the summer if drinking as a group??? If they are locked on 40 acres maybe they'd drink individually and these would work? Gets pretty pricy but maybe I put two Cobetts in each pasture.

Tire tanks? - look appealing but have no experience with them. Since I'm on rural water leaks scare me with these.

Miraco Big Spring 6000 on concrete pad? Biggest producer in my area uses these and gets along good.

Hydrant and big 300 gal Rubbermaid portable tank with float - cheap and easy but probably not as durable?

Wife and I both work full time so I want something that is durable and reliable. Not really wanting to do above ground lines with quick connects but I know that's the cheapest.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Ruth_at_ritchie":6xuctugj said:
Dueyb - Ritchie has some options that have a high flow rate, are durable and have a 10-year warranty. From units that can be used reliably in the winter, to units that have a large drinking surface in the summer. Ritchie is made in Conrad, Iowa. Our WaterMaster and Thrifty King series will work well for the summer and our Omni Series is the most popular for year round service.

Dueyb":6xuctugj said:
We are subdividing our pasture into essentially six 40 acre paddocks. We take in 80 pairs and 4 bulls for long grazing season but all are gone for the winter. 3 paddocks will have natural water from either open ponds or fenced ponds with concrete freeze proof tanks (so we have some winter options if needed). We are running rural water lines to the center of each of the other 3 paddocks that don't have water and I'm having a hard time deciding which type of watering facility to install. We have plenty of water pressure and good refill rate at the site.

Cobetts? - have at home for smaller lots and absolutely love them but not sure if they'll work for 80 pairs in the summer if drinking as a group??? If they are locked on 40 acres maybe they'd drink individually and these would work? Gets pretty pricy but maybe I put two Cobetts in each pasture.

Tire tanks? - look appealing but have no experience with them. Since I'm on rural water leaks scare me with these.

Miraco Big Spring 6000 on concrete pad? Biggest producer in my area uses these and gets along good.

Hydrant and big 300 gal Rubbermaid portable tank with float - cheap and easy but probably not as durable?

Wife and I both work full time so I want something that is durable and reliable. Not really wanting to do above ground lines with quick connects but I know that's the cheapest.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi Ruth!
:welcome:

TennesseeTuxedo":2vra61k4 said:
ddd75":2vra61k4 said:
depends where you are and how much freeze protection you want.

I also have cobbetts and they are awesome.

They say something like 200 hd can drink from one. check there website or call them.

tire tanks are nice but i don't like them for cold climates unless you have a constant spring to keep the water flowing.

mirafounts are good but all have frozen solid in winter here, as well as the richies.

The newer ones are insulated and in really harsh climates you can add the heater option.

We have found two things have a big impact on if they (any brand, have tried them all) freeze up or not. 1. put a heat tape around the pipe where it comes out of the ground and wind it around the pipe up to the float (replace in the summer, trust me its easier!). 2. Make sure there is adequate gravel/soil around the unit so cold air can't leak into the unit (sounds dumb, but at -20F, windchill inside the unit will make afore mentioned tape useless).

i put filter fabric down and then 8 tons of creek gravel over it.

haven't had to touch them since first spread.

Banjo":ipa5t3xb said:
I like the Ritchie waterers best. I like the ease of access by just lifting the lid to get to the shutoff valve instead of having to find a wrench to get inside it like the Behlens. I have found even if they don't freeze inside the balls will freeze to the sides and you have to break them loose so the cattle can push them down.
The main thing with any waterer is the earth tube going down deep as possible. That keeps your supply line from freezing and the water in the tank from freezing down to a certain temperature.
Then it depends on how often they drink from it....as to when it will freeze. They say if the water in the tank does freeze just leave it alone till it thaws. I've had that happen more than once......but it doesn't seem to hurt it.
I think I would like the big rubber tires too but I've never tried them

Hi Banjo, just a helpful tip for your Thrifty King unit, be sure that the white closures are sitting at least a 1/2" to an 1" below the rim to help prevent them freezing to the side.

I have some ball tanks and tire tanks and like the tires but I do appreciate that Ruth chimed in with advice and said to call their engineers with problems or ideas. Thanks

Ruth_at_ritchie":2qtz4mzg said:
Banjo":2qtz4mzg said:
I like the Ritchie waterers best. I like the ease of access by just lifting the lid to get to the shutoff valve instead of having to find a wrench to get inside it like the Behlens. I have found even if they don't freeze inside the balls will freeze to the sides and you have to break them loose so the cattle can push them down.
The main thing with any waterer is the earth tube going down deep as possible. That keeps your supply line from freezing and the water in the tank from freezing down to a certain temperature.
Then it depends on how often they drink from it....as to when it will freeze. They say if the water in the tank does freeze just leave it alone till it thaws. I've had that happen more than once......but it doesn't seem to hurt it.
I think I would like the big rubber tires too but I've never tried them

Hi Banjo, just a helpful tip for your Thrifty King unit, be sure that the white closures are sitting at least a 1/2" to an 1" below the rim to help prevent them freezing to the side.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Well I found seven 6' tires free for the taking. Going to install one below a pond for my in laws and see how it goes. Thanks for all the input.

Latest posts