A Great Government Program

Help Support CattleToday:

zirlottkim":32xwm0k4 said:
10-4 on both comments. Just for the record, I have never received anything from the "cost share program"and never intend to.
Same here. I declined to participate in a brush abatement program that would have paid me some (I forget how much) to get rid of the brush and Chinese Tallow on my place.

Many years ago, my own father (a lifelong staunch Dem) , took every penny they (I think it was a state Dept of Ag program) offered for brush abatement.

M-5":248bx93q said:
Bright Raven":248bx93q said:
M-5":248bx93q said:
wouldn't need these programs if .gov had not of gotten out of hand to begin with. and people had enough pride and self respect to turn down what they didn't rightfully work for. The people that got sick did it to themselves and the tobacco company did not make them smoke.

That does not set right with me either but the courts ruled otherwise.

LOL , It doesn't set right but your hand is out ...................

I mean the court ruling. It was a huge penalty considering those who use tobacco do it of free will.

Bright Raven":2tovvk71 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2tovvk71 said:
I thought maybe this was an oxymoron thread.

TT: has anyone on the farm in Warsaw participated?

I looked into but the paperwork was burdensome. I wanted to just walk in and get my free money with no strings attached. They said they couldn't do it that way. I was crushed.

I do like your fence. Kevin is A-Okay in my book.

zirlottkim":1t6yiz26 said:
Bright Raven":1t6yiz26 said:
True Grit Farms":1t6yiz26 said:
Did the taxpayers foot the bill for the dogs? Any time some gets something for nothing we lose as a country. Everything looks good Ronnie, keep it up and before long my great grandkids will be in debt.

CAIP is funded from Kentucky's portion of the tobacco settlement. But it is still a government program. I have drawn $25,000 on it in the last 8 years.
While you are enjoying your costshare, Think of the poor souls addicted to nicotine that puffed cigarettes their entire lives and then the miserable death they endured. Just to make it possible for big tobacco to pay for "the settlement" and for you to enjoy your share.

Bless your bleeding little heart......

greybeard":2j8agtxq said:
zirlottkim":2j8agtxq said:
10-4 on both comments. Just for the record, I have never received anything from the "cost share program"and never intend to.
Same here. I declined to participate in a brush abatement program that would have paid me some (I forget how much) to get rid of the brush and Chinese Tallow on my place.

Many years ago, my own father (a lifelong staunch Dem) , took every penny they (I think it was a state Dept of Ag program) offered for brush abatement.

My grandfather took payment for saltcedar control... when president Bush sent out the stimulus checks I sent mine back(prolly still someone trying to figure out that)
My wife spent hers.
Nice fence raven. But you ought to be ashamed.

callmefence":3q5sw8q1 said:
greybeard":3q5sw8q1 said:
zirlottkim":3q5sw8q1 said:

My grandfather took payment for saltcedar control... when president Bush sent out the stimulus checks I sent mine back(prolly still someone trying to figure out that)
My wife spent hers.
Nice fence raven. But you ought to be ashamed.

Thank you. I wondered what you and Farm Fence Solutions would think.

Bright Raven":15l23zb0 said:
Dave":15l23zb0 said:
I know that there are variations in these programs from state to state. Having said that, I recently retired after nearly 23 years of being very heavily involved with a similar program here in Washington State. My educated guess is that the government spent a lot more than the $3,500 you will receive to administer and implement your project. For the individual landowners some of them are great. Others it actually cost the landowner more than if they had just done the project on their own. I have witnessed some huge wastes in time and dollars. Even on the good project someone is paying for the administration cost. And that someone is the taxpayers. I knew how to play the game and got lots of dollars for my landowners. I tried to just fund worthwhile projects but not all turned out that way. I ended up with some landowners who asked me for money every time I saw them. It didn't matter what the money was for they just wanted free money.

A great government program? After my experience I have my doubts. Some serious doubts.

This program is part of the County agents job. There is a board that volunteers to do the selection and approval. It will be inspected Thursday before I submit my receipts. Candidly, I participate because most farmers do. The process is very simple.

I worked for a conservation district with a volunteer board but the board's involvement is pretty minimal. I don't know what they get paid in your part of the world but here county agents make pretty good money. I would bet the farmers I worked with will say the process is very simple. It was for them. I bet it is fairly time consuming for the agents. It sure was for me.

pdfangus said:
the level of over engineering.... :deadhorse:

We always said an elephant is a mouse built to specs......

Dave":3ar7e5vs said:
Bright Raven":3ar7e5vs said:
Dave":3ar7e5vs said:
I know that there are variations in these programs from state to state. Having said that, I recently retired after nearly 23 years of being very heavily involved with a similar program here in Washington State. My educated guess is that the government spent a lot more than the $3,500 you will receive to administer and implement your project. For the individual landowners some of them are great. Others it actually cost the landowner more than if they had just done the project on their own. I have witnessed some huge wastes in time and dollars. Even on the good project someone is paying for the administration cost. And that someone is the taxpayers. I knew how to play the game and got lots of dollars for my landowners. I tried to just fund worthwhile projects but not all turned out that way. I ended up with some landowners who asked me for money every time I saw them. It didn't matter what the money was for they just wanted free money.

A great government program? After my experience I have my doubts. Some serious doubts.

This program is part of the County agents job. There is a board that volunteers to do the selection and approval. It will be inspected Thursday before I submit my receipts. Candidly, I participate because most farmers do. The process is very simple.

I worked for a conservation district with a volunteer board but the board's involvement is pretty minimal. I don't know what they get paid in your part of the world but here county agents make pretty good money. I would bet the farmers I worked with will say the process is very simple. It was for them. I bet it is fairly time consuming for the agents. It sure was for me.

pdfangus":3ar7e5vs said:
the level of over engineering.... :deadhorse:

We always said an elephant is a mouse built to specs......

In November I went to the County agent office and filled out and submitted a questionnaire. Took no more than 10 minutes. Probably 5. I got a letter of approval. I called a fence contractor. My fence was finished today. I called to have it inspected on Thursday. I will submit my receipts Friday with a map showing where the fence was constructed. When the board meets, they will approve my project and issue me a check for $3500. I will get a 1099 and report it as income.

Looks good Raven. I don't think there is anything wrong with using the programs. They were set up for small farmers to stay in competition, but since none of you proud fellows are willing to accept the help the money is instead going to bigger richer farmers who know how to use the system and aren't ashamed of it. You didn't save the taxpayer a dime by not using it or sending it back. You only allowed another person to get it instead of yourself. The money will be spent either way. It has to be spent or else the budget for that department will be cut the next year so you better believe it will be spent one way or another.

I like threads like this. Non political but we sure see where everyone stands. I think the world of Dave and Jim for how much they've helped people and have sought advice recently myself from people with similar job descriptions but when it turns into money talk and cost share I just smile and say "no thanks". It might be fine for some but I can't do it without feeling like I did something wrong. I think I could have gotten better advice from neighbors but don't want to impose on them to ask.

TennesseeTuxedo":nvd3asoi said:
Ol' 243":nvd3asoi said:
TennesseeTuxedo":nvd3asoi said:
Would you mind paying for some of mine?

Nope, sorry TT . . . . . Don't wanna pay for you neither

Well dang it, I may have to turn to Uncle Sam then.

2hdv5sk.jpg

Craig Miller":36g3rm8v said:
but since none of you proud fellows are willing to accept the help the money is instead going to bigger richer farmers who know how to use the system and aren't ashamed of it.
I strongly disagree. I left CA during a massive drought and was involved in ag in all levels and in multiple segments. Some of the biggest companies thumbed their nose at drought assistance and some part timers that were virtually unaffected cashed in. It has a lot more to do with character than size and I am not all that happy about paying for fence for part timers.