Cattle prod type/strength

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a good cattle prod. I see that they come in different strenghts .How do I choose the best voltage ?

I have a Hot Shot, takes 4 "C" Batteries,the stock prod type. don't know what the voltage is, but gets the job, done, I am proud to say, I rarely have to use it...Usually they hear the buzzing sound it makes and pay attention.

I use the Hot Shot SS36 Cattle Prod.
I do not know the voltage but like Crowderfarms already mentions it gets the job done. I too use it not to much, once the cattle know what it is they wont forget it and move the moment they see that thing in my hand. If they need a reminder I make a buzzing sound by holding it on to a metal fence post.
Like with everything else, the more you use it the more the animal get use to it and don't bother about it.
Swiss Cowboy :cboy:

I always liked the origianal old redhandled HotShot...not to hot and not to bad to short out when it gets wet on the end. Like most folks anymore we dont use em as much as we used to...thats a good thing

We don't use hotshots to work our cattle. We have a long piece of thin pvc pipe that we use. The only advice that I can give you is to go with what is comfortable to you. Too short and you risk getting hurt. Too long and it can be combursome and make your work even harder. We have found that the pvc pipe is enough. Tap on their backside to move them. Wave it in front of them to stop them. Long enough to keep us out of harms way. Have toyed with the idea of getting a paddle stick. Visibility would probably be better. Don't know if the pebbles inside would make enough noise to make them pay attention. Sale barns around here use them though.

we just use the regular sorting sticks from the vets, valley vet, or about anywhere. They are made of fiberglass and work great. Come in different strengths, lengths, and colors. So you can match them to your mood, or to the craziness of the animal :p :lol:

The "green one" the neighbor has has 3 settings High, low, and buzz only. Uses 4 batteries. I hate them, and feel it is unneccesary. I have the paddle stick, pebbles get thier attention, and they work good for giving the calves a little pat on the butt to get them moving. Flag whips are my favorite. Regular whip with a bright flag sewn on the end. Flag makes noise when you whip it, long handle to cover more ground, flag can be seen, flexible, and nobody gets hurt.

I don't have one, we use the sorting sticks, but a couple of times a year I wish I did have one. Sometimes when you're loading calves to take to the sale you'll get one that hangs up in the chute and won't load. Then the ones thats already in the trailer try to come back out, it can be a headache if you're working by yourself. I think that the prudent use of a hot shot would be helpful in letting the calves think that what ever is ahead of them is better than whats behind them.

;-)

A hotshot is like a lariat around here. I keep one in the pickup. It's not needed often but when it is needed not much else will take its place. The only time I use one is when the cattle are already in the pens and I've got one who doesn't agree that going down the chute is the best idea.

Craig-TX

i don't use a hot shot much but sometimes i pick up a 2x4! :lol:
no really a sorting stick is about all i use unless i'm loading a truck and the cattle are not cooperating...

Farmhand":ipioibu6 said:
We don't use hotshots to work our cattle. We have a long piece of thin pvc pipe that we use. The only advice that I can give you is to go with what is comfortable to you. Too short and you risk getting hurt. Too long and it can be combursome and make your work even harder. We have found that the pvc pipe is enough. Tap on their backside to move them. Wave it in front of them to stop them. Long enough to keep us out of harms way. Have toyed with the idea of getting a paddle stick. Visibility would probably be better. Don't know if the pebbles inside would make enough noise to make them pay attention. Sale barns around here use them though.

a little touch between the legs gets them moving too, they hate that...

I use some 1.5" sc 40 PVC about 4' long. Works good but some times I wish for a hot shot. I would like to rig a hot shot with my PVC.

what i like about the whips is most of the time i am movin cows by my self and i cant really use a hot shot right on a horse and i can rope if i wanted but i dont really need to dally off on a cow that does not want to follow orders 100miles from the house by my self. so my theroy behind the bull whip is its loud as hell and gets the point across and i can do it on a horse rather easy

Latest posts