grass heading out

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: grass heading out

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:53 am

Bigfoot wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:I think grasses and especially clovers respond more to the weather that is ahead of us than what the weather is like currently, ie if my clover doesn't start to get going in autumn then I am sure that the next spring will be pretty ordinary, it just doesn't bother to germinate.

I think plants have a lot more intelligence than what we give them credit for.

Ken

I agree. I can't remember ever seeing a wild oat on my place. My hay fields are wrapped up in them. Im sure my pastures are to, the cows are just eating it as fast as it grows. I just don't know what it's sudden appearance means.

We've had wet weather, and we've had warm weather, but we hadn't hardly had a ray of sunshine all year. Usually, when your out early of a morning, and there's a heavy dew, the rabbit tobacco will almost be foamy with bubbles. I'm assuming with gasses put off from photosynthesis, or the crebs cycle (wish I'd paid attention in school now). Anyway, I've noticed all spring, it's just covered in dew, and no bubbles. I guess stuff ain't growing cause it's not sunny enough.

The sunshine has indeed been scarce in the last 6 months. Grass here is green, been warmer than normal, adequate moisture, etc. Yes, sunshine is what powers photosynthesis.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:06 am

My fescue seed heads are hardening
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

FiveOaksFarmGA
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby FiveOaksFarmGA » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:18 am

TANK30705 wrote:My fescue has started heading out also, within last week. We are still in drought, but got 1.75 of rain in last few days!
May cut hay Sunday/Monday. That would be first ever hay, cut on my farm in April!

Same here, though haven't had that good of rainfall. I gotta wait til the typical Mother's Day cut to avoid nitrate problems since I fertilized on that schedule. I've got some rye to cut now as soon as I get a window long enough.
Black Angus and Angus crosses
Custom Hay

Texasmark
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Texasmark » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:17 am

Same story here. Spring came early with soil temps over 55F. Grass shot up, sorghum-sudan was planted April 1, and is up about 6" now. April is forecast to be 2" over normal rainfall. Temps have been on a roller coaster ride but basically we are moving forward and rains are coming regularly. Mowing lawn every 2-3 days. Rye is going crazy.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:44 pm

I've got some sudex, that's been up about 2 weeks. I notice it's turning yellow. The sun is shining today, this is about the first day of sunshine, since last fall. Maybe things will turn around.
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:23 pm

mine are growing and doing wonderful. i'm knee high + in all hay fields.

got out 300 / lb acre N with a little P_+K mix in middle feb. probably did the trrick..

ClinchValley
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ClinchValley » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:10 am

We finally got good rain. But have noticed everything seeded here too. In the pastures its pitiful. Seedheads cannot be 12" high. Grass is so thin.

Hay ground is doing alright since some rain. But everything is seeded.

Would it be good to cut early this year?
I am forever in the pursuit of more knowledge and wisdom. For I will always be "green."

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ddd75 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:15 am

ClinchValley wrote:We finally got good rain. But have noticed everything seeded here too. In the pastures its pitiful. Seedheads cannot be 12" high. Grass is so thin.

Hay ground is doing alright since some rain. But everything is seeded.

Would it be good to cut early this year?

is it just the fescue heading out? If I had orchard grass / clover / etc still growing I'd let it go.. but if everything is heading out I'd cut it as soon as I could and hit it with at least 50 - 100 lb / N / acre.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon May 01, 2017 4:59 pm

Night time lows in the 40's and dark and overcast is what the NWS is calling for here, for the next several days. I've never seen anything like this in my life. It's early May, and the only reason I'm not feeding hay, is I don't have any.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon May 01, 2017 5:05 pm

Windy cold here. Got .8 inches of rain this morning. All the grasses are heading out, but finally got some growth. Now temperatures are going south.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon May 01, 2017 7:07 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Windy cold here. Got .8 inches of rain this morning. All the grasses are heading out, but finally got some growth. Now temperatures are going south.

I know you check close and often, but I've lost 2 to pneumonia in the last 72 hours. These 30 degree temperature changes, and damp air is taking a toll at my house.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon May 01, 2017 7:37 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:Windy cold here. Got .8 inches of rain this morning. All the grasses are heading out, but finally got some growth. Now temperatures are going south.

I know you check close and often, but I've lost 2 to pneumonia in the last 72 hours. These 30 degree temperature changes, and damp air is taking a toll at my house.

Sorry. There is a pneumonia phenomenon going on. It started in the fall. A friend in Paris lost half his calves to pneumonia. Dr. Stanfield told me it has been epidemic. I think the radical changes in weather is a big factor.

pricefarm
Rancher
Rancher

Postby pricefarm » Mon May 01, 2017 7:41 pm

I have had more pneumonia in calves this spring than ever. I have treated around 7 calves. I haven't lost any yet.

kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby kickinbull » Tue May 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Johnson grass is about 10 inches tall. Sure seems too early with cool weather.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Tue May 02, 2017 4:23 pm

kickinbull wrote:Johnson grass is about 10 inches tall. Sure seems too early with cool weather.

We have some heading out......
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”