I think I won a convert

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

I think I won a convert

Postby dun » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:50 pm

Our vet has been a die hard black Angus breeder since he was a kid. Every year for the a past 7-8 years he has bought Red Angus steers from us for his daughters to show as market steers and they have showed several of our heifers through the years. Last year he bought a Red Angus heifer for his oldest daughter to show. He's worked with us with our Red Angus for 15-16 years or so. Today we were just yacking and he said "I'm really liking these Red Angus". He's now looking for another Red Angus show heifer for his next in line daughter.
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

elkwc
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: I think I won a convert

Postby elkwc » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:03 pm

Congrats. The jury is still out on my RA heifers. Hopefully they will have calves by Sensational in 2 weeks and then I can start to decide what I think of them.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:56 am

I don't have any Angus, so I don't have a dog in the hunt, but it makes sense to me that the folks raising the red ones would have needed to cull hard and raise superior cattle in recent years just to stay in business.
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:14 am

Next thing I know, you're going to be telling me Jeff has bought a Model A for his vet truck...

And I still haven't forgot about him pouring antifreeze all over me.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:19 am

cfpinz wrote:Next thing I know, you're going to be telling me Jeff has bought a Model A for his vet truck...

And I still haven't forgot about him pouring antifreeze all over me.

He's even given up on gets his old 50s vintage chevy truck running. As to the other, "It builds character"

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:43 am

I'm just glad it was only antifreeze.

skeeter swatter
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby skeeter swatter » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:16 pm

I think I'm becoming a convert myself. Not impressed with the direction the blacks have taken.

Clodhopper
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Clodhopper » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:40 am

The reds are taking over in my area, the local buyers seek them and baldies out hard. Very few baldies left, everyone is scared of Herf, but they're buying those RA heifers and bulls like they're going out of style. They most all look and perform good too.

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:58 am

dun wrote:Our vet has been a die hard black Angus breeder since he was a kid. Every year for the a past 7-8 years he has bought Red Angus steers from us for his daughters to show as market steers and they have showed several of our heifers through the years. Last year he bought a Red Angus heifer for his oldest daughter to show. He's worked with us with our Red Angus for 15-16 years or so. Today we were just yacking and he said "I'm really liking these Red Angus". He's now looking for another Red Angus show heifer for his next in line daughter.

Congrats Dun! Red Angus is my first love too. :banana: A neighbor has a huge all Red herd that's beginning to calf, one of the most beautiful sights I've seen in my entire life is his pasture filled to the brim with Red mammas & new babies!

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:12 pm

cfpinz wrote:I'm just glad it was only antifreeze.

Cfpinz, saw your post & 'Tightwad' avatar. Was wondering if you've ever eaten at Charley's Buffet? It's not far from your neck of the woods. It's closed for the winter, but I think opens back up in March. One of my favorite places to eat :D

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:33 am

reeler wrote:

Cfpinz, saw your post & 'Tightwad' avatar. Was wondering if you've ever eaten at Charley's Buffet? It's not far from your neck of the woods. It's closed for the winter, but I think opens back up in March. One of my favorite places to eat :D

I actually live in Virginia (can't say that I'm real proud of that these days) but travel thru Missouri a good bit. Hadn't heard of Charley's so I had to look it up, might have to add that to my list of stops next time I'm out that way!

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:35 am

cfpinz wrote:Hadn't heard of Charley's so I had to look it up, might have to add that to my list of stops next time I'm out that way!

When is that going to be?

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:33 pm

dun wrote:
cfpinz wrote:Hadn't heard of Charley's so I had to look it up, might have to add that to my list of stops next time I'm out that way!

No plans as of yet.

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:48 pm

cfpinz wrote:
reeler wrote:

I actually live in Virginia (can't say that I'm real proud of that these days) but travel thru Missouri a good bit. Hadn't heard of Charley's so I had to look it up, might have to add that to my list of stops next time I'm out that way!

Charley's is a wonderful place to eat, but only open on Friday & Saturday nights, from around march to november, so call before you head out there! Problem is sometimes the line is Extremely long, I've waited over an hour,But it was worth the wait! The food was originally all cooked by the Amish, not sure if that's still the case. I haven't been there in a while.Just thinking about it makes my mouth water :) Hope you get to try it.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:42 pm

cfpinz wrote:
dun wrote:

No plans as of yet.

Gun show in Lebanon this coming weekend

Return to “Breeds Board”