Off farm jobs.

Help Support CattleToday:

I work on the Production side for an Oil Gas Co, take care of a ranch, and do what ever else I can to make a buck (that does not involve screwing some one else).

Started buying my own Brahman cows last year... up to a whopping 7 head right now. :cowboy:

My dad had me working for our family O&G Co and Ranch at a young age. To date I have not been able to kick the bad habiits.

For the past 10 years I've worked for a family whose primary focus is oil/gas production. They also do quite a bit of excavating work along with concrete and trucking and farm quite a few acres. They run a herd of crossbred beef cattle as well. I like the variety and i definitely earn my money. I'm the only full time non family member but they really do treat me like family.

ohiosteve":2d3ddzr1 said:
For the past 10 years I've worked for a family whose primary focus is oil/gas production. They also do quite a bit of excavating work along with concrete and trucking and farm quite a few acres. They run a herd of crossbred beef cattle as well. I like the variety and i definitely earn my money. I'm the only full time non family member but they really do treat me like family.

Just what I know about you from reading your post, I'd say your an asset to their operation.

I've been a school teacher for 22 years. I plan to retire from that in 6 years.

I do contract work for Arkansas Game and Fish. We mainly do wildlife forage and maintain about 2800 acres of AGF owned land. From hayfields to native warm seasons to annuals. Wheat in the fall millet sunflowers haybean mixes for the summer.

I don't work anymore. :D I have bees and am building that into something that will involve small amounts of work and do a few little AI projects here and there if I like the people and the cattle but cows are my living now.

cow pollinater":zokm9587 said:
I have bees and am building that into something that will involve small amounts of work.

I worked for a beekeeper for 2-1/2 years about 20 years ago (one of the best known in the country, and only about 2 miles from my house). I don't have any bees now, but might get some when I retire.

I have been in IT since 1980. Seen a lot of changes in computers. I'd suggest the biggest impact on our lives have been the computer, (big ones) the PC and the internet, maybe in that order.

I worked most of my years in manufacturing. I have probably caused 10,000 or more people to lose their jobs through automation. Something to be proud of, right?

I am now working for a bank, still in IT, but I am doing it at home on the farm. Trying to learn how to be a cattleman.

I've never been smart enough to do anything other than be in the cattle business.

We have a fence contracting business, as well as a wholesale/retail fence distribution business. We primarily build fixed knot high tensile woven wire in places that nobody else wants to go, but once in a while we get nice easy ones by the highway. Of course, there is still plenty of barbed wire and board fence to build as well. We also manufacture a handful of fence equipment, so we have a little fab/welding shop too. The wholesale/retail side takes up quite a bit of time, and involves a fair amount of travel, so our cow herd is about 25% of what it once was. We used to have time to make hay and chop silage, but anymore, we are buying most of our feed. We are blessed that our "off the farm" job is usually somewhere on a farm, or at least around like minded people. Visiting with contractors or folks at trade shows is something that I never thought I would enjoy, but it has become one of my favorite parts of the job. I really like getting out and fencing in far flung places with guys that are the best in their area. It's really neat to see how folks in different parts of the country/world get it done. Of course, my most important job is being a Daddy. It's a ton of fun to watch kids mature, although I've been warned that it's not so cute when they hit 13!

I sell snow and ice equipment for municipalities. Grew up on a dairy farm and now I have 4 kids of my own and the lessons I learned on the farm as a boy made me who I am and I want my kids to have that same opportunity.

Latest posts