Befuddled

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Would you be upset with me if I agreed to clear 40 acres of your land for $6000 but just before I finished you added 9 more acres to the job and I handed you a bill for $6975 for clearing all of it? Would you be upset that I charged more than we agreed in the beginning?

This is not a trick question. I just want to see if I'm crazy or if today's arse chewing was deserved.

Nope, services rendered should be paid for if the jerk adds to the acerage, he should pay.

Nothing wrong with that. He should have been jumping over the moon for the simple fact you cleared it as cheap as you did. People are crazy. Getting harder and harder to work for the public.

Nope I added to the job I should expect you to be compensated for it.. in fact if you will clear 40 acres for 6000 I'll hire you today lol.

I'm glad I'm not crazy just working in crazyland it seems. I honestly don't think I can take much more of John Q Public. This is twice its happened in three weeks. Apparently some people feel entitled to my free sweat. If you hear of my moving to Florida and taking flying lessons I'd suggest you staying clear of tall buildings. Just saying. Just kidding. Well, maybe not. :lol2:

Jogeephus":1whakha1 said:
I'm glad I'm not crazy just working in crazyland it seems. I honestly don't think I can take much more of John Q Public. This is twice its happened in three weeks. Apparently some people feel entitled to my free sweat. If you hear of my moving to Florida and taking flying lessons I'd suggest you staying clear of tall buildings. Just saying. Just kidding. Well, maybe not. :lol2:

Neighbor, directly across Crockett Lane from the driveway to my farm. Ask me to grade his gravel lane in front of his house. I put down cattle panels and walked my Cat D3G dozer over. For the first 30 minutes he stopped me 20 times to provide instructions. When he stopped me for the 21 st time, I said, "Farley, go in the house. Let me finish." He smiled and said OK. When I was done, he was happy. I did it as a neighborly gesture. But I thought, I would never want to do this for a living!

Jogeephus":2ynqq7ks said:
Would you be upset with me if I agreed to clear 40 acres of your land for $6000 but just before I finished you added 9 more acres to the job and I handed you a bill for $6975 for clearing all of it? Would you be upset that I charged more than we agreed in the beginning?

This is not a trick question. I just want to see if I'm crazy or if today's arse chewing was deserved.

If it ended up being less than 40 acres he would have wanted a discount from the agreed-upon price. No, not deserved, hope your arse is feeling much better.

Im befuddled too! Wished to high heaven i could find someone to clear ground for that cheap here! You would have to add another zero on that price to get anyone to take you serious up here. Thats no joke either jo. Just got a price to open up 25 acres..4x your quote for 40 ac.

I would expect to pay more, if more land had to be cleared. Usually happens to me every time I have some cleared. I think nothing of it and pay what I am billed.

Yes he should pay for it! Always get a work change order when the owner changes what he wants done... It just helps when you need paid as there is no confusion. People always seem nice until you bring out the bill. Sorry for your predicament my husband has been there.

Margonme":1ztl10qw said:
Neighbor, directly across Crockett Lane from the driveway to my farm. Ask me to grade his gravel lane in front of his house. I put down cattle panels and walked my Cat D3G dozer over. For the first 30 minutes he stopped me 20 times to provide instructions. When he stopped me for the 21 st time, I said, "Farley, go in the house. Let me finish." He smiled and said OK. When I was done, he was happy. I did it as a neighborly gesture. But I thought, I would never want to do this for a living!

Its funny how they will be underfoot while you are working but let them know you'll be finished in an hour and will be ready to write them a bill and they will become as scarce as bacon in Baghdad.

I think I'm done with doing this type work. I am mentally drained from all the BS. Its just not worth it.

Sure he owed you, but why didn't you charge him the same rate? Shouldn't the bill be $7350?

Some folks just think you make too much money!

I had a guy call me and asked me if I would trench a line for him from a pond with a windmill uphill to another pond. He told me a price he would be willing to pay, and how many feet it was. It was low, but I had done work for the guy before and agreed to it. I did the work just as he instructed as he was there walking right along with the machine. I did some additional digging just to save him some hand work. His hired hand never showed up so I helped him with some unrolling of his pipe and some splices.

When I got done, I asked him how many feet it was. He told me. I multiplied that by the rate he offered to pay me. He said it was too much! I got done too quick!

I have two trenchers and I took the bigger one over there. Guess he though I should bring the smaller one, take my time and it would be worth more?

Really Jo! Is it just all about the money with you?! So what you have time involved, fuel cost, equipment cost.... what the heck, think about the benefits your client will get! So he added more acreage to the original agreement, this is Mother Earth your improving and it was only to benefit his net personal worth and the value of his farm...... But noooooo....your selfish need for getting paid stands in the way. Suggestion Jo, start a "go fund me" account to recoupe any amount you feel neccassry for labor, equipment wear and tear as well as fuel cost.

Also.... If this makes a dent, please come clear some acreage for me. :D :hide: :lol:

Edit to add: I'll even fry you up a tofu sandwich for lunch!

Jogeephus":u0fnjg0w said:
Its funny how they will be underfoot while you are working but let them know you'll be finished in an hour and will be ready to write them a bill and they will become as scarce as bacon in Baghdad.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

My dozer loaded and left this afternoon. I spent $2640 and had little show for it. He didn't fudge his time, and got the going rate though. Ran a track hoe and a dozer a few afternoons.

Margonme":2a0iubnp said:

That's the best possible way to handle these situations sometimes. Doesn't always work, but it will do the trick more often than not. Firm but not rude :tiphat:

D2Cat":3ncithkn said:
Sure he owed you, but why didn't you charge him the same rate? Shouldn't the bill be $7350?

You are right but only 6.5 acres of the 9 could be cleared because the rest was in a creek so I only charged for what was cleared. This deduction went right over their head and they could only find it in their heart to complain about the price not being what we agreed on. I'm really sick of this shyt. You try and do right and these leaches want to try and screw you six ways from Sunday.

Alan, when you say tofu do you mean like store bought factory farmed tofu or are you talking gluten-free, free-range, sustainable, organic tofu? :lol2:

Only the best tofu for you Jo!..... If you don't fight the payment of your bill!

You can't win with people today. I'm of the opinion, you just about have to take payment before doing anything. If the job changes, take a deposit again before proceeding.

People are more willing to be reasonable before the job is started and you can tell them to go fly a kite. It really changes the dynamics of the situation. If they aren't willing to leave a deposit, no sweat. Just solved a future problem before it even occured and didn't waste my time.

May not be industry standard for you, but lots of industries have changed because people have changed.

Our feed store still operates on billing, but that way of doing business is dying. Try to walk out of tractor supply without leaving a payment, or any grocery store.

And there is good reason for this. Too many people are just no good.

Latest posts