CPC Feeds

Help Support CattleToday:

I was really done with this, because I know how mine performed, they may never again, time will tell.
If my salesman told me 2lb a day id laugh him off the place, now I'm not a grass fed operation so I used Google. Expected weight gain for cattle on grass, the first 2 things say 2lb a day on grass so why would I feed if thats all there telling me to expect the same 2lb.
If you wean in May at 650lb and want that bull at 1350 to use on cows, it would take another year almost to have him ready to go, that would never work for me, they have to be ready to go the 1st of Dec.
Mine have all the grass and hay they want, not a feedlot situation.

The feed conversion you guys are getting is making feed lots look like stooges. They'd die for a lb. of gain out of every two pounds of feed.

TexasBred":3vo0vqa6 said:
The feed conversion you guys are getting is making feed lots look like stooges. They'd die for a lb. of gain out of every two pounds of feed.
I was always told to figure 6 or 7 pounds to 1 pound gain. Have seen some do better but think lots of factors affect it. My neighbor and we buy light weight calves and about the best we have seen is 5 to 1.

I have some replacement heifers now that I don't want to get over conditioned but just to grow. Average weight 800# and from first weekend of November to last weekend they average 1.4# getting hay, less than 1% body weight of feed and a protein tub.

Maybe I am doing it wrong, guess my gains are bad. I know they are not being feed for slaughter either.

T B you need to go back and look at what I said, my bulls get 12.5lbs a day, Thats only 30% conversion,for 4lbs of gain, if you take out the 2lb there gonna gain on grass anyway, its only 15% conversion, if they can't gain that, theres no place for them here, and I'd certainly agree its a sorry A-- feed. But it does what I need it to do so I use it.
My heifers I said they just get feed to keep them coming to me, not trying to do anything with them, go back and read the second post in this thread, im only speaking for me.

tom4018":191s1xe7 said:
TexasBred":191s1xe7 said:
I was always told to figure 6 or 7 pounds to 1 pound gain. Have seen some do better but think lots of factors affect it. My neighbor and we buy light weight calves and about the best we have seen is 5 to 1.

I have some replacement heifers now that I don't want to get over conditioned but just to grow. Average weight 800# and from first weekend of November to last weekend they average 1.4# getting hay, less than 1% body weight of feed and a protein tub.

Maybe I am doing it wrong, guess my gains are bad. I know they are not being feed for slaughter either.
Tom that is much more in line across the industry. You can get a bit more with a much more expensive feed but not usually worth the extra cost.

Their Stocker One feed is pretty popular with some of the guys who feed calves down there. CPC feeds around 50,000 head of calves the same feeds they sell. I know a few people that have fed their feed to stocker calves and their cattle have done surprisingly well on it. One man told me he could have another company make him pretty much the exact same feed he was getting from CPC but his calves wouldn't gain as good. He could never figure out why.

Ojp6":2j2ogbzq said:
Their Stocker One feed is pretty popular with some of the guys who feed calves down there. CPC feeds around 50,000 head of calves the same feeds they sell. I know a few people that have fed their feed to stocker calves and their cattle have done surprisingly well on it. One man told me he could have another company make him pretty much the exact same feed he was getting from CPC but his calves wouldn't gain as good. He could never figure out why.
You can bet your a$$ they're not feeding their calves what you guys listed on here. They may say they are but nobody would feed that to 50,000 head of calves and expect good gain. It's just not there without feeding two or three times normal amount. Low energy and low digestibility just doesn't make for great weight gain.

I don't know if they change it for their own calves, I have no reason to defend them, they are competition for me on oddball calves when I'm buying. At least 50% of the calves they feed are oddball or thin calves. They give every sale barn in KY and TN that I've been to an order for oddball calves if the price is right. All I can tell you is hat they have calves spread all over south central KY as most of their calves are fed by other people and the people that feed them are paid for the gain.

Ojp6":3hdxlmlr said:
I don't know if they change it for their own calves, I have no reason to defend them, they are competition for me on oddball calves when I'm buying. At least 50% of the calves they feed are oddball or thin calves. They give every sale barn in KY and TN that I've been to an order for oddball calves if the price is right. All I can tell you is hat they have calves spread all over south central KY as most of their calves are fed by other people and the people that feed them are paid for the gain.
"Compensatory Gain".

denvermartinfarms":60o2br92 said:
I feed about 6 ton a week right now of this mix, 30% soy hull pellets, 30% DDG, 30% corn chops and 10% cottonseed hulls. Best thing I've ever fed.

whats this costing you a ton? what are you feeding it to? what type of gains have you been getting ?

bse":d15z2wdj said:
I've been using it for years. I use 13% grower 2 weeks before weaning in creep feeder, they stay on that for 45 days after weaning full feed no salt. Then I switch them to 14% developer hand feed at 1% body weight on the bulls. I increased the feed keeping up with there growth till yearling and that's all they will get, usually start around 7lbs a day the most they were ever on was 12.5lbs between Sept weigh and Nov gained just over 4lb a day when they left here bulls averaged 1450 and not to fat to go to work. So I like it pretty well.
Heifers get about 3lbs a day developer not trying to do anything with them other than have them coming when they hear my truck, they look pretty good on what little they get.

Barry, did you feed the medicated feed with Rumensine or the unmedicated? Thanks

We used to feed some CPC feed a few years ago, when we used to creep feed. We would have 3 or 4 ton delivered into a gravity wagon.
The thing I remember most was the high number of rubber tie down straps I used to find in it.....unbelievable.

Barry,
We have been feeding the CPC 14% developer with R that was also suggested by Gizmo Angus. We just weighed the bulls after 60 days 1% body weight fed and had a daily gain averae of 3.6. With the spread being 3 - 4.6 lbs per day. Very pleased with this feed!

Banjo":35blzt0p said:
We used to feed some CPC feed a few years ago, when we used to creep feed. We would have 3 or 4 ton delivered into a gravity wagon.
The thing I remember most was the high number of rubber tie down straps I used to find in it.....unbelievable.
Thta's one way to lower the cost of your feed. :nod:

midTN_Brangusman":2aq6zsxe said:
Barry,
We have been feeding the CPC 14% developer with R that was also suggested by Gizmo Angus. We just weighed the bulls after 60 days 1% body weight fed and had a daily gain averae of 3.6. With the spread being 3 - 4.6 lbs per day. Very pleased with this feed!
As long as you believe that, nobody else matters.

TexasBred":jgggqqbl said:
midTN_Brangusman":jgggqqbl said:
Barry,

The numbers don't lie TB. Of course that's with free choice hay.

midTN_Brangusman":t9cnyoa9 said:
TexasBred":t9cnyoa9 said:
midTN_Brangusman":t9cnyoa9 said:
Barry,

As I said, as long as you believe it that's all that matters.

TexasBred":2sq3xpyt said:
midTN_Brangusman":2sq3xpyt said:
TexasBred":2sq3xpyt said:

As I said, as long as you believe it that's all that matters.

It is what it is TB. I could care less if you believe it or not.

Gizmo Angus feeds the same feed, wonder what kind of gains she's getting out of young bulls on forage.

Latest posts