Weaning ration

Cattle problems.
ValleyView
Cowhand
Cowhand

Weaning ration

Post by ValleyView » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:13 am

What is the most effective and efficient weaning ration you all have used? Is 14% creep at ~$8 per 50lb bag adequate or is there something that has worked better for you all while dry lotted with hay and feeding twice daily?

12 days into weaning so far and calves are cleaning up 6lbs per head daily of feed just fine with no scours but may hang onto them and push them to 45 days total if there’s an affordable way to do so. Thanks in advance for your input

First generation Brangus Cow Calf producer.

Easier to learn when you don’t know much!

VVCC

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: Weaning ration

Post by kenny thomas » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:13 am

First thing would be to get the price way way down. $5 or less per 50 lb.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 5S Cattle » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:18 am

What Kenny said. In My part of Texas I couldn’t find an affordable feed so I bought a grinder mixer to make my own. That spiraled into preconditioning truck loads of calves pretty fast lol. But I couldn’t make it pencil out buying bagged feed

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:44 am

I get mine (14%) for $5/50lb.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:09 pm

Depending on the protein of your hay.
I am able to feed whole shell corn purchased by the ton delivered - but - my hay is 15-16% protein.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

ValleyView
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by ValleyView » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:48 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:13 am
Good to know. I pulled my most recent receipt and it’s actually $7.25 per 50lb bag but still not close to where I need to be.

I was hoping someone on here would have an idea of some other feedstuff that could be fed along with 14% (diluted if you will).

Debating getting a super sack of “commodity blend” $115 per 1000lbs to push them over the hump in order to hit the first sale of 2020. Sounds like I probably check into that.

VVCC

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:14 pm

ValleyView wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:48 pm
kenny thomas wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:13 am
Good to know. I pulled my most recent receipt and it’s actually $7.25 per 50lb bag but still not close to where I need to be.

I was hoping someone on here would have an idea of some other feedstuff that could be fed along with 14% (diluted if you will).

Debating getting a super sack of “commodity blend” $115 per 1000lbs to push them over the hump in order to hit the first sale of 2020. Sounds like I probably check into that.
This is what I do for my replacement heifers. A mini bulk bag at 2000 lbs barley, oats, some other goodies plus Rumenson. I keep the rations to just 3 or 4 lbs a day but I'm only trying to put some frame on them over winter. But I would use the same ration only more of it if I was trying to put the pounds on.

ValleyView
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by ValleyView » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:52 am

5S Cattle wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:18 am
What Kenny said. In My part of Texas I couldn’t find an affordable feed so I bought a grinder mixer to make my own. That spiraled into preconditioning truck loads of calves pretty fast lol. But I couldn’t make it pencil out buying bagged feed
What does a grinder set a guy back? I would imagine once you get over the hump on “start-up” costs, it would translate into an opportunity to take on additional non/short weaned calves with a decreased feed cost. What does your typical ration consist of?

Hope all is well with you buddy!

VVCC

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 5S Cattle » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:01 am

ValleyView wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:52 am
5S Cattle wrote:
What does a grinder set a guy back? I would imagine once you get over the hump on “start-up” costs, it would translate into an opportunity to take on additional non/short weaned calves with a decreased feed cost. What does your typical ration consist of?

I spent $2500 on a new holland 354. Between that and my bulk feeders that’s the only out of pocket cost I’ve had. Need to buy a tractor so I can give my dads his back but I’ll get there with this next load I hope. Yes that’s exactly what I’m going. Buying unweaned bulls, steering them, and keeping them 60 days. My mix is corn, wcs, small alfalfa squares, used vegetable oil, calcium/lime, and rumensin. Comes out to 9.5 cents a lb. Running them on oats as well to cheapen my feed bill up.
Hope all is good up there for you as well!

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Post by midTN_Brangusman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:04 am

5S Cattle wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:01 am
ValleyView wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:

I spent $2500 on a new holland 354. Between that and my bulk feeders that’s the only out of pocket cost I’ve had. Need to buy a tractor so I can give my dads his back but I’ll get there with this next load I hope. Yes that’s exactly what I’m going. Buying unweaned bulls, steering them, and keeping them 60 days. My mix is corn, wcs, small alfalfa squares, used vegetable oil, calcium/lime, and rumensin. Comes out to 9.5 cents a lb. Running them on oats as well to cheapen my feed bill up.
5S what weight cattle do you usually go for. I have thought about doing this several times and sending them to OKC, where do you market yours and what is the profit per head if you dont mind me asking.

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 5S Cattle » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:07 pm

midTN_Brangusman wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:04 am
5S Cattle wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:01 am
ValleyView wrote:

5S what weight cattle do you usually go for. I have thought about doing this several times and sending them to OKC, where do you market yours and what is the profit per head if you dont mind me asking.
I am a little over a week away from shipping my first set so I can’t answer your questions just yet. But they averaged 378 coming in. I’m hoping they leave between 5-525. I’m marketing mine back through cattle buyers. I don’t want to go back through a barn, too much profit sucked out of every calf. I’m not sure about okc but here it’s $20-30 off the top

greggy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by greggy » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:22 am

5 bucks for 50lbs....you guys have it made.

Alf and weaner feed is about 24 bucks for 50lbs here...lol

Bulka bags are around 700 bucks.... our dollar at about .70 of yours...

That is what drought does....but the prives wont go down now...I bet.

5x4 rolls of oat hay people asking 280 to 320...if you buy in stores, bring 2 cheque books !

ValleyView
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by ValleyView » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:01 pm

I picked up 1000lbs of commodity blend for $114 yesterday in a $22 sack from Amazon. Gradually transitioning them from 14% creep to the new feed.

Hoping to hit the 2nd sale in January and they’ll be 48 days weaned at that point. The feed brings back fond memories of my college days as it smells like stale beer!

VVCC

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 5S Cattle » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:18 am

ValleyView wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:01 pm
I picked up 1000lbs of commodity blend for $114 yesterday in a $22 sack from Amazon. Gradually transitioning them from 14% creep to the new feed.

Hoping to hit the 2nd sale in January and they’ll be 48 days weaned at that point. The feed brings back fond memories of my college days as it smells like stale beer!
I’d put at least 60 days before you sell them. About 45 days is when they really start to put the weight on. Sell them then and you did all the hard work for the next guy to make the profit

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Post by elkwc » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:15 am

We pay over $7.00 for a 50 lb bag for 14% here. We keep out the Vita Ferm stress tubs and minerals. For weaning we feed 20% range cubes. Our calves eat them well and do good on them. They run around $320.00 a ton.