Social standing in your town

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
herofan
GURU
GURU

Social standing in your town

Postby herofan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:40 pm

The thread about not socializing got me to wondering; what is your social position in your hometown? Are you a big shot or a regular person? Are you a person that "everybody knows" and likes, or one that people would describe as "a little different?"

Do you feel comfortable attending just about anything in your hometown, or do you feel a little out of place? Are you known more by one group, such as the farming crowd, but somewhat of a stranger among other groups. When you buy the farm, do you think the visitation line will be out the door and down the street, or will a couple of folding chairs handle it.

It's not necessary that you answer each question; those are just some possible routes in describing your social position in your town.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Social standing in your town

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:45 am

I try to fly below the radar,, bad part is people think the opposite of you..because you want to be low key.folks think, that you think, your better than them..which
is far from the truth of me...we were poor as kids,,never have lost that part of my life.and don't want to..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:09 am

That's a good question. I recently attended a funeral and wondered this very thing. After some thought I concluded I might be surprised at the number that would attend my funeral because I am blessed with lots of friends and acquaintances from diverse areas of the community even though I don't socialize a lot because of work. I'm not in any cliche or group nor am I a political type but most people know me or know of me and know me as honest and hard working and someone who puts their pants on one leg at a time just like they do.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:46 am

Never gave it any thought, don;t even care.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:05 am

People at the feed store know me along with a few others. I don't feel there is many people worth wasting my time on in Marlin TX.

I hate crowds. Two or three people is ok five is to many.

They will have a hard time getting the buzzards and worms to attend my funeral. Sure as heck won't be a crowd. Heck I've told them just cremate me and throw me in the pasture maybe it will fertilizer the grass.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:32 am

dun wrote:Never gave it any thought, don;t even care.

Well there's always that to Fall back on....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:00 am

There won't be much fuss for me, I'm supposed to be buried under my deer feeder in the back yard with in 48 hours of death. I could hermit up and be as happy as a pig in poop. But I'm forced into doing a lot of things that I ordinarily wouldn't do by the boss. We're blessed to live in Dodge and Telfair counties and support the community with our time and services as much as possible. You can never help enough, we all need to do more.
Your time is the greatest asset you can give your community.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:45 am

I doubt, other than from church, that a 1/2 dozen people "in town" even know me by name.
By face, I guess some of the sales people would, but to be honest, upon my passing the truth is that the world (in town) would little care nor long remember I was even here.

Neighbors out here in the county tho..I know them all and they know me, but there's not a lot of social distinction between any of us unless it is with the old names that have been in this part of the region for 100 yrs instead of 50 decades.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:26 am

Heck me and the wife are still trying to come up with names of 6 pallbearers. :cry2: :cry2:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:32 am

My dog thought I was a very important person
1 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:38 am

TexasBred wrote:Heck me and the wife are still trying to come up with names of 6 pallbearers. :cry2: :cry2:

We went to a funeral last week of a dear long time friend. He didn't have the traditional funeral but just a service. We took my husbands parents who knew this man a long time, they can no longer drive themselves.
As time goes by funerals I think will be a thing of the past, the open casket kind.. None of our parents want a funeral, nothing, zip.. Just cremate and go on with life..
My mother in law has stage 4 metastatic cancer. She leaned over to me and said she was happy our friend had so many to say goodbye...then said, 'I'll be lucky to have 5 people.' I looked over at her and said, 'Oh youuuu.'.. but my heart broke inside.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:36 am

What was it Ron Burgandy said? "I'm a pretty big deal around here".

Well I'm not and that's okay too.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:16 am

One of the kids that works the drive through at McDonald's is probably no more than 20, covered in tattoos/piercings, and recently told me I was his favorite customer (I have an iced coffee addiction) because I'm always smiling and say "thank you". And last week one of the checkers at Wal Mart said she was glad I came through her line. That's the only social standing that really means anything to me.
1 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:38 am

TexasBred wrote:Heck me and the wife are still trying to come up with names of 6 pallbearers. :cry2: :cry2:

Be like mine have to hire five
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Postby hurleyjd » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:42 am

Caustic Burno wrote:

Be like mine have to hire five

Just hire a fork lift with an operator.
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”