Just curious and being nosey

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
ddd75
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Just curious and being nosey

Postby ddd75 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:59 am

my wifes grandparents have the original deed signed by abrahama lincoln. pretty neat. I think it was given to them or 1.00 or something.

they got it for free but now they need to divide it among there 5 kids.. that works out great! duuurrrrr
0 x

ddd75
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: Just curious and being nosey

Postby ddd75 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:03 am

last auction I went to was bare land, some road frontage.. all tillable. 6800/ac

most land sales I see in the paper are around 8-10k and a lot of these tracts are 100-300 ac.. not sure where people get 3 million to buy a farm ~!
0 x

User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3710
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX

Re: Just curious and being nosey

Postby Rafter S » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:21 am

Cross-7 wrote:What is production
How many acres to a cow ?
10k an acre at a cow to acre isn't bad
3 acres to a cow at 10k or 30k per cow is a different deal


I know in some areas it's a consideration, but in my immediate area Ag production has very little, if anything, to do with land price.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6462
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: Just curious and being nosey

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:07 pm

Rafter S wrote:
Cross-7 wrote:What is production
How many acres to a cow ?
10k an acre at a cow to acre isn't bad
3 acres to a cow at 10k or 30k per cow is a different deal


I know in some areas it's a consideration, but in my immediate area Ag production has very little, if anything, to do with land price.


:nod: Same in this area. It used to be, but now what is more important is how many division rights, how many houses can be put on it.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12236
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Just curious and being nosey

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:01 pm

Here the land price is still based at least slightly on production, though not beef production.. more winery prospects, dude ranches, and the like.. all status symbols.

Was just looking at a ranch 3 hours north of us for under 1mil that holds 240 head.. nearly tempting
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Cross-7
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1856
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: SW OK

Re: Just curious and being nosey

Postby Cross-7 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:21 pm

Nesikep wrote:Here the land price is still based at least slightly on production, though not beef production.. more winery prospects, dude ranches, and the like.. all status symbols.

Was just looking at a ranch 3 hours north of us for under 1mil that holds 240 head.. nearly tempting



Under 5k an AUM looks good.
I don't know what it cost to feed a cow through winter or how much farm machinery it takes.
Places is Az and NM can be had for that but it's BLM and USFS leased
0 x

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3655
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Just curious and being nosey

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:38 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
zirlottkim wrote:
Rafter S wrote:People thought my father was crazy for paying $1,000.00 per acre in the early 1970's.
Now it's worth $13,000.00, or maybe a little more.

Comparing to gold, your fathers purchase hasn't gained much. In the early 70s, Gold was around $100 per ounce. Today it's around $1250. The govts "accumulative inflation rate" over that time period is 530%. http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/


After you adjust for inflation, it is amazing how poor farm land performs as an investment.

So true... but timing is everything
Rule of thumb: investment should double in value every 10 years

1967 local farm sold for $400 acre - new owner cleared a lot of woods and did a lot of tiling
Late 70s that farm sold for 2,300 acre (everyone said crazy... they were right... buyer ended up bankrupt)
sold in 1997 for $3,000 acre (10 yr rule should have = $8,000+)
sold in 2007 for $7,500 (more than doubled in 10 yrs)
10 yrs later 2017 value approx 8,900 - 9,000 (from 1997 price of $3,000 it should be worth 12k today, but it ain't)

I remember back in the 60s no self respecting farmer based anything off the price of gold... it was Hogs.
How many hogs did it take to buy a new pick up truck or how many hogs to buy a new tractor.
Hogs... Plain Crazy... talk about a market with wild fluctuations... might as well be tulip bulbs or bit coins. :)
0 x

red angus 2010
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 317
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:10 pm
Location: Middle Of USA

Re: Just curious and being nosey

Postby red angus 2010 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:08 pm

I believe it was 1820 a Land Grant from the State. My wife and I are caretaker for the next generation. Our children will be 7th generation on the same land. The house we live in was built in 1870, homes on the land prior were log cabins. I pray we can turn it over better than we found it and our children's children will keep the legacy alive.
0 x

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3655
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: Just curious and being nosey

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:45 pm

ddd75 wrote:my wifes grandparents have the original deed signed by abrahama lincoln. pretty neat.
I think it was given to them or 1.00 or something.

they got it for free but now they need to divide it among there 5 kids.. that works out great! duuurrrrr

Pretty neat... but Nothing is Free. I'm not sure how the homestead act worked and probably varied from territory to
territory and in which years. But always strings attached, something like you had to buy it for $1
(about a standard days wage at the time) and then make improvements and live on it for 5 years before ownership
transferred giving them the right to start taxing you on the improvements and the assessed value they placed on it.
BUT the real kicker was sometimes they made you live somewhere... like say Kentucky rather than by a nice lake in
Minnesota... :) Where you could keep cool with a nice summer breeze off the lake when it was hot. Or extra super duper cool in the winter.

And that is why Minnesnowtans have always been known as the Coolest Kids on the block! :banana:
0 x

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12236
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: Just curious and being nosey

Postby Nesikep » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:14 am

Cross-7 wrote:
Nesikep wrote:Here the land price is still based at least slightly on production, though not beef production.. more winery prospects, dude ranches, and the like.. all status symbols.

Was just looking at a ranch 3 hours north of us for under 1mil that holds 240 head.. nearly tempting



Under 5k an AUM looks good.
I don't know what it cost to feed a cow through winter or how much farm machinery it takes.
Places is Az and NM can be had for that but it's BLM and USFS leased

It's actually a place that doesn't require a lot of manpower to run by the looks of it, not much for irrigation, 400 acres of hay land, probably get one cut and graze / stockpile the second


Going by the 10 year rule, in 1886 the chinaman bought our place for $100, 13 decades later that would be $819,000.. so it's done alright, I think it would be a pretty quick sale at that price
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4043
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:37 am
Location: NE Texas

Re: Just curious and being nosey

Postby cowgirl8 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:54 am

Ours averaged around 275 and acre in the 80s.. Now, it goes from anywhere from 2 to 4 thousand an acre. What our saw timber pines sit on, are worth way more before they are harvested if we sold. But we plan to never sell unless it looks like none of our kids will keep the ranch going.
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21087
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Just curious and being nosey

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:00 am

cowboy43 wrote:When and how much did you pay for your land per acre? What is the current value per acre? Me 1979 $450 an acre, now $6000 to $8000 an acre. Central Texas :cowboy:
Part of the same land my Father bought in 1948 for $35 an acre.

Bought some as low as 300 on average it would be closer to 700.
Now that was for timber land cut the timber paid for the land and clearing.
Hundred acres down the road from me went for over half million no house nothing on it but a decent pond.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2160
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:01 pm
Location: Northeast KS (USA)
Contact:

Re: Just curious and being nosey

Postby WalnutCrest » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:35 am

We just moved 30 minutes west because we were looking to expand. Over at the old place pasture was 3-6k / ac, depending on black top vs gravel, good / bad fences, year round water or no, permanent handling facilities or no, etc.

We moved and got into a place (on blacktop) with one spot of year round water per 32 acres, newer five stand barb wire perimeter, simple and small (but effective) handling facilities, and good (but not great grass) for 2100 per.

The way I was looking at it, to hire out a pond could easily be 25-50k and to hire out fence could be pricey, too. Add in the handling facilities, and I figure our land price was only about 1200 / acre (i.e., I'd have to buy unimproved land for that price to end up at the same place money wise).

30 minutes east, for the same hunk of dirt with similar features, etc, is easily be looking at 5-6 k per. It was an easy decision to move. Plus we liked the people we have met quite a bit!
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

Hunter
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:09 am
Location: KC, MO

Re: Just curious and being nosey

Postby Hunter » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:34 am

WalnutCrest wrote:We just moved 30 minutes west because we were looking to expand. Over at the old place pasture was 3-6k / ac, depending on black top vs gravel, good / bad fences, year round water or no, permanent handling facilities or no, etc.

We moved and got into a place (on blacktop) with one spot of year round water per 32 acres, newer five stand barb wire perimeter, simple and small (but effective) handling facilities, and good (but not great grass) for 2100 per.

The way I was looking at it, to hire out a pond could easily be 25-50k and to hire out fence could be pricey, too. Add in the handling facilities, and I figure our land price was only about 1200 / acre (i.e., I'd have to buy unimproved land for that price to end up at the same place money wise).

30 minutes east, for the same hunk of dirt with similar features, etc, is easily be looking at 5-6 k per. It was an easy decision to move. Plus we liked the people we have met quite a bit!



Does it really cost that much to have a pond built?
We are looking to add one or two to our land but can't swing one if it costs that much.
0 x

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5577
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Just curious and being nosey

Postby M-5 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:47 am

Hunter wrote:
WalnutCrest wrote:We just moved 30 minutes west because we were looking to expand. Over at the old place pasture was 3-6k / ac, depending on black top vs gravel, good / bad fences, year round water or no, permanent handling facilities or no, etc.

We moved and got into a place (on blacktop) with one spot of year round water per 32 acres, newer five stand barb wire perimeter, simple and small (but effective) handling facilities, and good (but not great grass) for 2100 per.

The way I was looking at it, to hire out a pond could easily be 25-50k and to hire out fence could be pricey, too. Add in the handling facilities, and I figure our land price was only about 1200 / acre (i.e., I'd have to buy unimproved land for that price to end up at the same place money wise).

30 minutes east, for the same hunk of dirt with similar features, etc, is easily be looking at 5-6 k per. It was an easy decision to move. Plus we liked the people we have met quite a bit!



Does it really cost that much to have a pond built?
We are looking to add one or two to our land but can't swing one if it costs that much.


Here having a pond dug 50 to 75 wide x 200' long will cost about 5k / a lot depends on where the dirt has to go. If you have to haul it off it can get expensive
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK


Return to “Coffee Shop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 11 guests