Beginners ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
I have an old Jenny around 25 she split her hoof on something.
I have her up in a good sand lot. What is a good equine antibotic other than penicillin for a donkey. Old Alice has been here a long time I just want to insure she doesn't get it abcessed. I haven't stayed up with the meds for equines.

Call the vet...and post it on the horse board...old Alice being an equine and all...

Alice

Caustic Burno":1d01th19 said:
I have an old Jenny around 25 she split her hoof on something.
I have her up in a good sand lot. What is a good equine antibotic other than penicillin for a donkey. Old Alice has been here a long time I just want to insure she doesn't get it abcessed. I haven't stayed up with the meds for equines.

On the Mules we have used either penicillin or some form of cillin, i think it was amoxocillin something like that.

But I would either check with vet or a Donkey person because I know Donkeys generally need a larger dose (or more often) of antibiotic than a horse. You might give a smaller donkey the same amount as a larger horse. Something about the differences in their system not sure exactly why.

I have these issues. Call a farrier and he can tell you if she has an abcess or anything else. Have her hooves trimmed while he's there. You might need to wrap her up for a week with some ichthomol, which is a drawing salve, maybe soak her hoof in Epsom's salts, (like she's gonna go for any of this, right?) Farrier or vet will tell you what to do. The Ichthomol is good stuff and I keep it around. About 8 bucks for a pretty big jar. Stuff stains like axel grease so be careful with the clothing. Wrap her up in vet wrap maybe with a piece of disposable diaper for cushion.

All this is easier said than done, especially if she doens't like being handled. I have one right now that is just now getting better.

And not to sound strange, but if you do get her hooves trimmed, (you may just do it yourself), make sure the farrier knows that donkeys hooves are different from horses. Sounds dumb, but farriers around here go for the horse ranch crowd. My farrier likes donkeys, but some won't touch them.

Lammie":1jp5mc6o said:
And not to sound strange, but if you do get her hooves trimmed, (you may just do it yourself), make sure the farrier knows that donkeys hooves are different from horses. Sounds dumb, but farriers around here go for the horse ranch crowd. My farrier likes donkeys, but some won't touch them.

Very True! We used a different farrier one time because are regular one could not get to us. He got the Mules hoofs all messed up. A mule or donkey farrier has to know the difference in the way they stand and walk over a horse.

ALACOWMAN":26jgrs8h said:
i alway's opt for the cheap route , vet rap and duct tape along with maybe some kopertox. and regular penn.

Ditto. I would cut the duct tape off every two to three days and smell it. You can smell it if infection is setting in. If so, put the whole foot in peroxide for a couple minutes. Dry, reapply kopertox, and duct tape. Repeat as necessary.

How do you get the horse to keep his foot in the peroxide. I have tried that and can never get them to do it.

3MR":2dpxkwvl said:
How do you get the horse to keep his foot in the peroxide. I have tried that and can never get them to do it.

It's a mule. :lol: Anyway, I have done it three ways. One, set a pan on the floor near the critter. Let it set there up against the leg for a few minutes. Lift the foot up, slide the pan under and ease the foot back down. Two, lift the hoof, have someone with pan ease it up and onto the hoof. Three, if the critter freaks, pour it on. Repeat until it quits boiling up.

This one I haven't tried. Four, lift critter in wide baler belts using a front end loader. Wait for said critter to settle down. Insert foot in peroxide. :lol:

flaboy?":246aqzs4 said:
3MR":246aqzs4 said:

It's a mule. :lol: Anyway, I have done it three ways. One, set a pan on the floor near the critter. Let it set there up against the leg for a few minutes. Lift the foot up, slide the pan under and ease the foot back down. Two, lift the hoof, have someone with pan ease it up and onto the hoof. Three, if the critter freaks, pour it on. Repeat until it quits boiling up.

This one I haven't tried. Four, lift critter in wide baler belts using a front end loader. Wait for said critter to settle down. Insert foot in peroxide. :lol:
i have just filled a seringe with peroxside take the neddle off and squirt into the wound

flaboy?":3ehk49ob said:
3MR":3ehk49ob said:

Oh sorry, Thanks anyway, I need to find out how to do it for a horse not a mule. ;-)

I guess I could try the pan method. I would need a deeper pan though as the place I am trying to get is on the cornet band.

I have tried a bucket and he wouldnt keep his hoof in. I would just wind up pouring it over, which was ok as he didnt mind me messing with it, but I really wanted to soak it.

I have some old baling belts though. I guess I will have to try the third method. LOL. :lol: (Just in case anybody is confused, I am not serious)

3MR":343kgu0r said:

I halter her up, tie on a lead and give her about in inch between her nose and the fence post. Then I get the solution in a dish pan and put her foot in it. I put an old towel under the dish pan in case she steps out. Keeps me cleaner anyway.

That's for my miniature donkeys anyway.

My farrier charges 20 bucks a head and he'll help me chase them down. He's the most patient man on earth. Next to my husband...

3MR":1qinkx0y said:
flaboy?":1qinkx0y said:
3MR":1qinkx0y said:

Oh sorry, Thanks anyway, I need to find out how to do it for a horse not a mule. ;-)

I guess I could try the pan method. I would need a deeper pan though as the place I am trying to get is on the cornet band.

One of those medium sized black flexible feed tubs works good, and they are not expensive - at least, not here.

One of those big Coke bottles or milk jug with the tops cut out depending on how big the MULE'S feet are. :lol:

Latest posts