Zip Bandit

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas PaPaw":2z8y97pg said:
sstterry":2z8y97pg said:
Texas PaPaw":2z8y97pg said:
Have a small set of vice grip pliers that I clip on the end of the band to use as a handle. With them can pull band tighter, especially with sweaty hands.

Where do you place the vice grips to get the necessary leverage needed?

I just clamp onto end of band opposite from clip. It is just a handle for the right hand to grip when stretching and latching band.
Thanks, I will try that. The only bad thing I have heard is that they can be difficult to get all the way tight.

NonTypicalCPA":theacu9p said:
Any update elk??

The ones I used the Zip Bandit on all dropped their sacks within 2 weeks. The ones I used the Callicrate bander on are 1-2 weeks behind them. IMO if you apply the Zip Bandit correctly I feel the band is tighter when applied. I need to do some comparison but think that maybe the band on the Zip Bandit is a little smaller in diameter. I feel these two items contribute to the faster sack drop when using the Zip Bandit. It isn't hard to tell if you have the band tight enough. I check each one before I clip the zip tie off. I have thought of using vice grips to pull them with. At this point I'm very satisfied and will mainly use the ZB's unless I start having issues.

What ever bander you use, if you will slit the scrotum after applying the band, the nuts will dry up and fall off in half the time of unslit.

FWIW, my preference is the California bander. Been cheaper and easier for me to use.
I've used California bander for years, never a problem banding 600lb bulls in fall here. Just pull straight away towards bulls head before wrapping around to the clip

The ones I used the Zip Bandit on all dropped their sacks within 2 weeks. The ones I used the Callicrate bander on are 1-2 weeks behind them. IMO if you apply the Zip Bandit correctly I feel the band is tighter when applied. I need to do some comparison but think that maybe the band on the Zip Bandit is a little smaller in diameter. I feel these two items contribute to the faster sack drop when using the Zip Bandit. It isn't hard to tell if you have the band tight enough. I check each one before I clip the zip tie off. I have thought of using vice grips to pull them with. At this point I'm very satisfied and will mainly use the ZB's unless I start having issues.
Elk...I know this thread is way old but was wondering how you've gotten along since your last post in 2018. I mainly use the Tri- Bander on small calves and the XL bander in those a little bigger. As of late we have started leaving some of the boys in tack, but now have some we want to band. I was going to buy the Callicrate bander but ran across the Zip bands and then your posts. The ZB look easy to use so now I'm on the fence. Any update you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Elk...I know this thread is way old but was wondering how you've gotten along since your last post in 2018. I mainly use the Tri- Bander on small calves and the XL bander in those a little bigger. As of late we have started leaving some of the boys in tack, but now have some we want to band. I was going to buy the Callicrate bander but ran across the Zip bands and then your posts. The ZB look easy to use so now I'm on the fence. Any update you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
I've used the Zip bandits here, had good luck with them. Be sure to tighten them up like the instructions say.
Takes a long time for the sacks to fall off.

I'm not Elk, but I used a zip bandit on a 7-8 weight bull last fall. You have to make sure that it is pulled tight so that the band reaches the rubber. It did take a while for the sack to fall off, but it was quick and easy. This was one that circumstances did not permit me to cut him at the time it was done.

I just used one on a 600lb steer and it worked great. Took a while to fall off but I was very happy with the results.

I've used the Zip bandits here, had good luck with them. Be sure to tighten them up like the instructions say.
Takes a long time for the sacks to fall off.
Longer than using traditional bands? Are you just using your hands to pull tight or using pliers or something?

We have used both with good results. If tightened correctly in my experience those I have used the zip bandits on fall off quicker than the Callicrate Bander. Our vets use the California bander. Not a lot of difference in any of them. I already had the Callicrate bander so continue to use it some. The secret to any of them is getting the band tightened properly. We have bags drop from 3-5 weeks. We have never had an issue and band at least 50 hd or more a year.

I want to add we never slit the bag and none of the vets I've used and consulted do. We give an 8 way with Tetanus when we work them. Never had issues or have the vets I know and they use them on over a lot of calves. But if you slit the bag been told to use a tetanus toxin. I do if castrating a large bull later. Otherwise just the 8 way shot with tetanus.

Thanks for the update. I also vaccinate with an 8 way with tetanus and have never had an issue, so will stay with that program even those others say it's not needed. Our Vet also did advise splitting the sack.

I did contact the company and they are sending me some bands to try on these bigger (450-700) calves. I'm looking forward to trying them and seeing the results.

Thanks for the update. I also vaccinate with an 8 way with tetanus and have never had an issue, so will stay with that program even those others say it's not needed. Our Vet also did advise splitting the sack.

I did contact the company and they are sending me some bands to try on these bigger (450-700) calves. I'm looking forward to trying them and seeing the results.
The only calves in this area that I know of that got tetanus after banding had their bag slit. My vets say that is also what they have seen in their practices. Personally if I was going to slit the bag I would give an antitoxin.

We cut for years, even before I was around grandfather cut. However, we always seemed to lose one and some years a couple from cutting. Never knew why, all calves cut and doctored by same person everytime. Anyways after losing a big calf 5yrs ago I switched to banding just to see how it would go. I haven't looked back since. Oh, we do on occasion have a calf with a weird sack or something happens and we need to catch one on the range that we will cut, but that is very rare. But since started banding haven't lost a calf since (knock on 🪵).

Latest posts