Zip Bandit

Help Support CattleToday:

elkwc

Reaction score
I made a post on another thread and mentioned these. Has anyone used them? I have heard good things about them. That they work well and are easy and fast to apply. I ordered a few to try. The Callicrate bander works well but sometimes it is hard to get both nuts in the loop and it tightened before one slips out. I always make sure I have 2 but have had to remove a band and install a new one. If these work they should be easier and faster to apply. They say they can be used on bulls from 280-800 lbs.

Just an update. I never got a chance to use the Zip Bandit's until the 25th. We banded 12 head. I looked at them this Sunday a week later. Two bags were hanging by a thread and the rest I'm sure will be off by this upcoming weekend. Which will mean they all fell off in less than two weeks. The smallest was just under 300 lbs and the biggest around 475-500. They are easy to apply. The only issue I haven't mastered yet is pulling them tight to where the end of the tubing hits the end of the zip tie. Applied a few more this weekend. Also applied some Callicrate bands. Will compare how they compare. I have never had bags fall that soon using the Callicrate bander. I'm sure I'm getting more tension on the zip ties. I imagine they will be what I use most of in the future. Unless an issue arises and I can't imagine what it would be.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like that works much faster than the traditional bands. I'll be interested to see how they compare with each other time wise.

What ever bander you use, if you will slit the scrotum after applying the band, the nuts will dry up and fall off in half the time of unslit.

FWIW, my preference is the California bander. Been cheaper and easier for me to use.

My buddy used the zips on 4 young bulls a week ago. Was very happy with how easy they went on. Still waiting to hear from him on how quick they're working. I've got three bull calves to do in the next month and will use the zips.

Texas PaPaw":2odc9lcp said:
What ever bander you use, if you will slit the scrotum after applying the band, the nuts will dry up and fall off in half the time of unslit.

FWIW, my preference is the California bander. Been cheaper and easier for me to use.
How deep do you make the slit? All the way to the center and down?

sstterry":u91mltn8 said:
Texas PaPaw":u91mltn8 said:

I just make a slit maybe an inch or so long, in the bottom center of the sack. There's already a depression there between the nuts, so it only takes a second. a quick swipe with the scalpel and they don't even flinch.

sstterry":1cbsji0c said:
Texas PaPaw":1cbsji0c said:

Make 2 slits, one into each nut. I try to cut into each nut a little as the deeper the cut the quicker they dry up and fall off. Use a hook blade scalpel and make 2 quick cuts, inch or 2 long. Main thing is to cut thru scrotum so nuts can dry out quicker.

Texas PaPaw":1wje3cw0 said:

I don't slit because one of my vets advised against it. Every case of tetanus I've heard about the bags were slit. He said the risk rises dramatically in our environment if you slit the bag. Knock on wood we have been using the bands for over 3 years and no problem. I know many that do and get along ok. I usually follow the advice of my vets. This is the first time for the Zip bandits but very impressed with how fast they are falling off. Over twice as fast as the Callicrate.

elkwc":13gsgrrv said:
Texas PaPaw":13gsgrrv said:

I don't slit because one of my vets advised against it. Every case of tetanus I've heard about the bags were slit. He said the risk rises dramatically in our environment if you slit the bag. Knock on wood we have been using the bands for over 3 years and no problem. I know many that do and get along ok. I usually follow the advice of my vets. This is the first time for the Zip bandits but very impressed with how fast they are falling off. Over twice as fast as the Callicrate.
Do you vaccinate for tetanus beforehand? Two shots as recommended?

We use the California bander also_Only issue I've had with it is me. This fall will be our 3rd round with the bander. It's fast and easy once you get a couple out of the way. My technique is like my memory... In my case nuts fall off between 10 days to sometimes closer to 30. Probably just didn't get some tight enough.

Coosh71":2wbh1hl7 said:
We use the California bander also_Only issue I've had with it is me. This fall will be our 3rd round with the bander. It's fast and easy once you get a couple out of the way. My technique is like my memory... In my case nuts fall off between 10 days to sometimes closer to 30. Probably just didn't get some tight enough.

Have a small set of vice grip pliers that I clip on the end of the band to use as a handle. With them can pull band tighter, especially with sweaty hands.

Banded and slit a few thousand head over the years and never had a case of tetanus. I give a single shot of tetanus toxoid at same time I band.

A.J.":2erezz73 said:
Thanks for the update. Sounds like that works much faster than the traditional bands. I'll be interested to see how they compare with each other time wise.

Looked at them this weekend. Those we used the Zip Bands on were about to fall off. The one we used the Callicrate bands on I imagine will take at least two weeks longer from the looks and my past experience with them. Most of the group we did 2 weeks before with the Zip bands had fell off. What I like the most is they are easy and fast to apply and you don't have to buy anything extra to apply them. Most others banders you have to buy some tool to apply them. Depending on the number the bands run 2-3 dollars per band. I'm sure we will use a lot more of them unless some unforseen problem arises.

sstterry":3pe76inl said:
Texas PaPaw":3pe76inl said:
Have a small set of vice grip pliers that I clip on the end of the band to use as a handle. With them can pull band tighter, especially with sweaty hands.

Where do you place the vice grips to get the necessary leverage needed?

I just clamp onto end of band opposite from clip. It is just a handle for the right hand to grip when stretching and latching band.

Just make sure you get the Zip Bandit all the way tight. If it is "almost" tight enough it turns in to a heck of a mess!!
I will continue with Cheerios on the little ones and going back to my XL on the bigger ones.

Latest posts