Zero Turn Lawn Mowers

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred

Reaction score
Gonna need a new lawn mower next spring and was thinking about buying one this fall, hoping to save a little money with the "close out" sales. Have been using a John Deere tractor type for 8 years now but was considering one of the new zero turn models. I only have to mow about an acre so don't need one of the huge commercial models. Tell me about yours and how it's performed for you and would you recommend it.

I bought a John Deere 425 zero turn about 2 years ago. So far it hasn't given me any issues at all. Seems like a good machine. It has plenty of power and does a good job mowing our yard.

Going from a tractor style to a zero turn takes a bit of getting used to, or did for me anyway. For the first 30 minutes or so I had trouble mowing a straight line with it and thought I had really messed up buying the thing, but I got the hang of it :)

Guess it depends on how many $$ you have to spend and whether or not you want to "drive a mower" using a joystick or a regular sterring wheel.

Zero turn units are primarily used on properties with lots of trees & obstructions as well as the lawn care companies.

Running Arrow Bill":c1z6vhhe said:
Guess it depends on how many $$ you have to spend and whether or not you want to "drive a mower" using a joystick or a regular sterring wheel.

Zero turn units are primarily used on properties with lots of trees & obstructions as well as the lawn care companies.

Well I've definitely got the trees in the yard. But one time around the yard trying to drive with a joystick and I might not have any "small ones" left, nor any rose bushes etc. :lol2:

TexasBred":1r077g5o said:
Gonna need a new lawn mower next spring and was thinking about buying one this fall, hoping to save a little money with the "close out" sales. Have been using a John Deere tractor type for 8 years now but was considering one of the new zero turn models. I only have to mow about an acre so don't need one of the huge commercial models. Tell me about yours and how it's performed for you and would you recommend it.

Wait until the market crashes, hopefully this month. After the crash, walk around a dealership at the end of any month and see if they will give one to you so they don't have to pay interest on the floor plan.

Ive got a ferris zero turn. I cant remember the model of it. To lazy to go out and look. I bought it from the local feller here. I like it real well. Neighbor bought a cub cadet at lowes. It seems to be doing okay also.

We have the hustler fast track 54 inch cut and when we mowed with the old mower it took us about 7 hours with this new one we can get it done in about 4 hours they take getting used to but r nice when u get to using it.

I have had a Walker 54" deck with a 20hp Kohler for the last 10 years. It now has approx. 1200 hrs. with no problems. I change oil and filter every 50 hrs.
I would highly recommend. One of the features I like is that it sits low so I can mow under low hanging trees.

I mowed commerically for a few years and had a chance to run several different types of zero turn mowers.

I currently own a Dixie Chopper XG2703. It's 27 horse power, with a 60" deck. It is about 4 years old and has about 450 hours on it with no problems other than a broken drive belt, to date, knock on wood. I mow about 4 or so acres a week currently. Dixie Choppers are made in Indianna and are not as big or well known as some of the other brands. What I like about the Chopper is it has a bigger hydraulic fluid resevoir than other brands, at least when I bought it. It has a 1 1/2 gallon tank, when the others have around 1/2 gallon hydraulic tanks. It also has a hydraulic oil cooler. This is very important because when the oil over heats it has a tendency to burn up the wheel motors which are very expensive (500-800 bucks a piece). Also, if you develop an unnoticed leak while mowing, you have more of a cushion before you burn your wheel motors up also. Look for the bigger wheel motors also, the bigger they are typically the faster you can go.

I like the 60" deck because it is big enough to cut your mowing time down but it doesn't scalp that bad like the 72's tend to. Look for a deck with welded seems, not a pressed deck. The pressed decks get thiner in the corners during the forming process and tend to rust out alot faster. Blow your deck off after mowing, don't let the grass sit on the top of the deck it will rot out alot quicker.

I notice you said you had alot of trees and if you buy a new mower it will have rops and these things tend to get caught on everything when on a zero turn, so be careful. I nearly killed myself one time when I caught mine on a powerpole guide wire.

If ride is important Ferris has mowers out with spring suspension to help with ride comfort but I have never operated one.

If you get one, it will take some getting used to but after you get the hang of it you will love it and cut your mowing time in half. As your turning remember to turn your inside wheel backwards a little if not you will tear the grass up. You'll get better with time in the seat. Be CAREFUL on hills and around drop offs.

What ever you do buy the mower with best hydraulic system and the biggest motor you can afford, you will be happier in the end. Keep it serviced and you should have minimal problems.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I have done lawncare for 13 years, if I had to buy a mower next week I would buy a Hustler commercial series with a 60in. deck and Kohler carb. gas motor, I think they are 33hp.

I bought a used Cub Cadet 50" this past year. Had a 100 or 200 hours on it, can't remember now but it was in excellent shape. Paid 1500 bucks for it. It's pretty cheap, but I'm not mowing much or very often. Deck is stamped, pretty light. And the steering is not as responsive as the better ones. Also leaves a lot to be desired as far as traction, specially on hills. For 1500 bucks I like it, but I wouldn't pay much more for one. Couple of friends have Hustlers, they all seem to like those.

I wanted one last year but Mr HD wanted a "new" tractor so he won out.. With the oilfield in the shYtter and the drought Mr Hd got to mow for the first time here on the old clunker ...6 or 7 times total now..all summer :( Now he is all for a zero turn as the old one sucks around trees..I made him trim as well around trees just like I would keep up the farm yard.. :nod:

Just like a man.. :roll: I have used our old murray for years and when I beaothched about it I was told to suck it up.. :lol2:

Priorities. After a few times I learned to drive with one hand, kinda touchy at first. Before this year, I hadn't drove one in nearly 15 years. The first time I used it you would have thought I was drunk. Banged it into the woven wire fence every time I got close to it. Definately wouldn't teach myself to drive one close to a house.

plumber_greg":30utijb5 said:
Just remember, if you like to drink beer and mow the yard, you can't if both hands are busy. gs

This is one of the smartest things that has been said on this thread. I guess if you're going to get a zero turn and drink beer, then you're going to need one of those beer helmets with the tube running down into your mouth. :mrgreen:

Latest posts