Zebu

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30

Reaction score
Anyone on here have zebu or know what there worth not the mini zebu the big red and white ones that look like Brahmans just curious on the market for them ?

This is just speculation, and not from experience, but Id say there would be a stronger market for Brahmans than the other Zebu strains like the Gyrs, Indus, and Sardos with the flashier markings and larger ears since Brahmans would most likely give a more uniform looking calf in a crossbred operation. I would think the heifers would sell well, but the bulls would be tougher to sell, and the steers would get hammered pretty bad if run through the sale barn. I see some registered online sales advertising them from time to time, and they ask a pretty penny for them, so if a person ran a registered operation in or near the South they might do ok with the right marketing and sales. In a perfect world where all cattle brought the same price no matter the breed or where you lived I'd love to have a field full of them and a field full of Longhorns to look at.

Your exactly right AJ. They are a niche, novelty item kind of like a Longhorn. The market it what some one is willing to pay at any given moment.

I have always been told to stay clear of all those like the Zebu, Gyr, Indu, etc because they are a major pia.

A.J. said:
This is just speculation, and not from experience, but Id say there would be a stronger market for Brahmans than the other Zebu strains like the Gyrs, Indus, and Sardos with the flashier markings and larger ears since Brahmans would most likely give a more uniform looking calf in a crossbred operation. I would think the heifers would sell well, but the bulls would be tougher to sell, and the steers would get hammered pretty bad if run through the sale barn. I see some registered online sales advertising them from time to time, and they ask a pretty penny for them, so if a person ran a registered operation in or near the South they might do ok with the right marketing and sales. In a perfect world where all cattle brought the same price no matter the breed or where you lived I'd love to have a field full of them and a field full of Longhorns to look at.

Reasons I asked an operation in central Tx had 5 of them and told me they would take 625 a head for all of them 18 months old 2 yrs old I was gonna buy and resell them in my area. Or put them with a bull a few months then resell.

Brute 23 said:
Your exactly right AJ. They are a niche, novelty item kind of like a Longhorn. The market it what some one is willing to pay at any given moment.

I have always been told to stay clear of all those like the Zebu, Gyr, Indu, etc because they are a major pia.

It's a buy and resell kind of a deal but Dk if it's worth it I had friend tell me he sold some for 1150 one time

Bfields30 said:
A.J. said:

Reasons I asked an operation in central Tx had 5 of them and told me they would take 625 a head for all of them 18 months old 2 yrs old I was gonna buy and resell them in my area. Or put them with a bull a few months then resell.

I would think in Texas you could do good at that price, but I wonder if there's a reason they are selling them so cheap? They got pictures?

A.J. said:
Bfields30 said:
A.J. said:

I would think in Texas you could do good at that price, but I wonder if there's a reason they are selling them so cheap? They got pictures?
I posted pics under this

Bfields30 said:

Those type would do ok ,if you choose you're bull wisely..a soggy,well muscled ,big boned Hereford with moderate frame..those type are subject to throw chicken bones that are hard to keep. and slow maturing.and some are a little flighty..and sometimes you don't know what you have till that bag up..seen a lot of bad udders and bottle tits on the zebu..

Bfields30 said:
A.J. said:

Many years ago (30) they use to run quite a few through the ring at the Sulfur Springs dairy auction.

TexasBred said:
Bfields30 said:
A.J. said:

Many years ago (30) they use to run quite a few through the ring at the Sulfur Springs dairy auction.
Thanks see that's not but 20 mins from me and I was Curious was there a market for me which my buddy told me he bought some from Emory for over 11-1300 which isn't bad in my opinion if your selling

How about Nelore? They have smaller ears than Brahman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcncyGWIMT8

Warning thread hijack. What about Boran cattle? I know some research was done here in the US using imported semen and such. The results were interesting. Does anybody have any pure Boran genetics in the US or did they get get absorbed into the general Brahman population? Is there any existing Boran semen in the US? It looks like a breed I would be interested in using in a few on farm experiments but could not justify the cost of importing semen or genetics.

Latest posts