Zebu question

Help Support CattleToday:

The horns are the give away as well as the size and yes ears.

brahman bigger size, horns on the cranium different spot.

These mini zebu were bred to longhorn or corriente then to bucking stock so all are a a hodgepodge

mpassmore85":389bzb9q said:
These mini zebu were bred to longhorn or corriente then to bucking stock so all are a a hodgepodge
At what point do they stop being mini zebu,,,and become mongrels? seems like their on a roller coaster ride headed in that direction...

mpassmore85":15k7jy2m said:
@gcreekrch. I know what I have and have no need to prove it to some Random like I give 2 be nice.

Ps never said exactly 90 bulls. Specifically 68 last count in the fall (missing 3) which isn't anything fancy for my area. Sorry you live in shiit land and have 50 for a big herd

My Dad always told me if I didn't tell lies I would never have to remember. Your memory is pretty short
I still call you a BS er

mpassmore85
Cowhand

Re: Longhorn Cross
Report this post
Postby mpassmore85 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:06 pm
I'd like to know also. We have about 90 or so bulls for our commercial cattle all registered pure bred angus, Simmental, beef booster etc. Kinda wanna see what they could do. All my longhorns are solid red or black except for 3 or 4

0 x

ALACOWMAN":3jozc4c2 said:
Yeah she's a dead giveaway alright...those droopy ears tell it all...

LOL, they sure do. That one just my be part Mule Deer too.

mpassmore85":25chqpqu said:
Sell to a guy wanting cheap team roping pairs I can more than double in 3 months.
Now this would make it a no brainer! If I could more then double my money in three months I'd put every penny I had onto it!

Muddy":1ibekvg9 said:
Seen lot of mini Zebu and zebu crosses used as roping stock in few places. Few guys has running mini Zebu cows with their Corriente/Longhorn bulls. They calved just fine and selling the resulting calves as roping calves.

Muddy in the past I've seen some Zebu crosses used as roping stock also. By the time I had quit roping wasn't seeing as many. In fact one year had a couple myself.

mpassmore85":3rz83ckx said:
@gcreekrch. I know what I have and have no need to prove it to some Random like I give 2 be nice.

Ps never said exactly 90 bulls. Specifically 68 last count in the fall (missing 3) which isn't anything fancy for my area. Sorry you live in shiit land and have 50 for a big herd
Dang! 68 herd bulls? So conservatively you must be running a cow herd of around 1300 hd..

Lazy M":swcbkmgl said:
mpassmore85":swcbkmgl said:

Dang! 68 herd bulls? So conservatively you must be running a cow herd of around 1300 hd..

Or 2250 if you go by the post I quoted on the previous page of this post. The individual is a troll.

elkwc":2glcqf7o said:
Muddy in the past I've seen some Zebu crosses used as roping stock also. By the time I had quit roping wasn't seeing as many. In fact one year had a couple myself.
Mini zebu ??must be more of them outside of the petting zoo, than I've ever seen then...zebu does come in a larger package..

ALACOWMAN":1vgyu86k said:
elkwc":1vgyu86k said:
Mini zebu ??must be more of them outside of the petting zoo, than I've ever seen then...zebu does come in a larger package..

Let me clarify. I assume those I had and saw were out of standard sized Zebu. Can't Denver if they were half bloods or 1/4. Do know they stayed small. Roped them 2 years and they might of weighed 600 lbs as I remember. It was one year when roping steers were hard to find. This breeder had crossed them with corrientes. Wasn't bad to handle. They weren't fullblood for sure but finer boned and smaller than a true corriente.

elkwc":29wfnusq said:
elkwc":29wfnusq said:

Let me clarify. I assume those I had and saw were out of standard sized Zebu. Can't Denver if they were half bloods or 1/4. Do know they stayed small. Roped them 2 years and they might of weighed 600 lbs as I remember. It was one year when roping steers were hard to find. This breeder had crossed them with corrientes. Wasn't bad to handle. They weren't fullblood for sure but finer boned and smaller than a true corriente.
The Zebu x Corriente crosses are not new, but I never saw this cross that get bigger than a full grown Corriente. Almost like a deer.

Zebu comes in different sizes just like Dexters, highlands and lowlines. Lot of rodeo ranches often add mini Zebu to produce mini bucking bulls and also running them with roping stock cows. Most Zebu crosses doesn't have much ear like the Brahman crosses do.

Muddy":3pa4wnp9 said:
Zebu comes in different sizes just like Dexters, highlands and lowlines. Lot of rodeo ranches often add mini Zebu to produce mini bucking bulls and also running them with roping stock cows. Most Zebu crosses doesn't have much ear like the Brahman crosses do.
The two I had was totally opposites. The reason I got them was it was a year we weren't going to the border to buy and there was a shortage. This breeder had originally used corriente bulls on LH cows and then kept using corriente bulls. But he experimented every now and then. One time he used a Watusi bull. Then he used the Zebu influence. After a few bought them no one wanted anymore. So in order to get the better steers we had to take the last two Zebu influenced steers he had. The one was grey, short haired and had horns that went more up. He wasn't a very good roping steer so used him mainly to get young horses to follow. Like I stated before kept him 2 years and had planned on butchering him but he would never grow so took him to the sale and took a beating on him. I'm not sure how old he was when I got him but I know he weighed less than 600 after keeping him 2 years. I've made sure I have never bought another one. I had a buyer that crossed cattle at Del Rio buy me some steers one year and there were 2-3 in that group that looked like they could have Zebu and I didn't take any of them.

elkwc":6w1ydfs6 said:
Muddy":6w1ydfs6 said:
The two I had was totally opposites. The reason I got them was it was a year we weren't going to the border to buy and there was a shortage. This breeder had originally used corriente bulls on LH cows and then kept using corriente bulls. But he experimented every now and then. One time he used a Watusi bull. Then he used the Zebu influence. After a few bought them no one wanted anymore. So in order to get the better steers we had to take the last two Zebu influenced steers he had. The one was grey, short haired and had horns that went more up. He wasn't a very good roping steer so used him mainly to get young horses to follow. Like I stated before kept him 2 years and had planned on butchering him but he would never grow so took him to the sale and took a beating on him. I'm not sure how old he was when I got him but I know he weighed less than 600 after keeping him 2 years. I've made sure I have never bought another one. I had a buyer that crossed cattle at Del Rio buy me some steers one year and there were 2-3 in that group that looked like they could have Zebu and I didn't take any of them.
Sounds like it was already fully grown. The reason why the guys got Zebu as roping stock is because they're dirty cheap, like $75 per head no joke and these were full grown ones. Most zebu, even standard sized ones didn't weight more than 600lbs.