Z Tags for calves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Has anyone used both the Long neck Ztag for calves and<br>the Regular neck Ztag for calves? If so I would like <br>to know which you prefer and why?<p>I'm using the Z tag for cows and I like the tagging <br>process! <br>
<br>
<br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

I've been using the calf tag now for two years...definitely better<br>retention than button back tags. I have two negatives though. They are<br>sometimes really difficult to pierce properly on soft ears (real young calves)<br>because the ear folds up. The back part is the same size no matter what the front<br>tag is. So you have to be careful to make sure it is all the way through. And second,<br>they are not re-usable, with button backs, animals that went to market I removed the tags<br>and recycled them. So a batch of 50 feeders could be used on the new calves the following<br>year. Guess I could cut the ear instead of the tag! but really don't want to do that.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":107tssrw said:
: I've been using the calf tag now for two years...definitely better<br>: retention than button back tags. I have two negatives though. They are<br>: sometimes really difficult to pierce properly on soft ears (real young calves)<br>: because the ear folds up. The back part is the same size no matter what the front<br>: tag is. So you have to be careful to make sure it is all the way through. And second,<br>: they are not re-usable, with button backs, animals that went to market I removed the tags<br>: and recycled them. So a batch of 50 feeders could be used on the new calves the following<br>: year. Guess I could cut the ear instead of the tag! but really don't want to do that.<p>Reusing would not be an issue with me. At this<br>time I'm doing well just to get a tag in a calf's<br>ear in time to identify the calf's mother before I<br>send the calf to the sale! Have you had any <br>problems with the animals flopping their ears and <br>causing eye problems or injury? That's why I had<br>a question regarding the regular or long neck calf<br>tags!<br>Thanks, Phil<br>
<br>

[email protected]

Phil,<p>I've been suspicious of that at times and have noticed that I have had cases of pinkeye in the eye with the eartag! I try and keep the ear tag close in toward<br>the head. I am probably going to go to freeze branding cows/calves that I keep. Many of the cows stay with me for a long time and even though they don't lose the tag it fades.<p>Deb<br>
<br>

[email protected]

I have used the calf tag for a couple years now and like them . Have only lost one tag . We use the blank tags and put the number on both sides .: Has anyone used both the Long neck Ztag for calves and<br>: the Regular neck Ztag for calves? If so I would like <br>: to know which you prefer and why?<p>: I'm using the Z tag for cows and I like the tagging <br>: process! <p>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1f27h2vq said:
: Phil,<p>: I've been suspicious of that at times and have noticed that I have had cases of pinkeye in the eye with the eartag! I try and keep the ear tag close in toward<br>: the head. I am probably going to go to freeze branding cows/calves that I keep. Many of the cows stay with me for a long time and even though they don't lose the tag it fades.<p>: Deb<p>We have had no problems with animals hurting their eyes with the tags. second what you say on freeze branding. We freeze brand all heifers that we keep .
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts