Your Time to Shine!

Help Support CattleToday:

Interesting, I think the red calf is average. First black calf knocks the other heifers for six.

Bout time I showed you some of mine. Ok, so the equivalent of your 'majors' for us would be the Royals, I go to Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne Royal. Thought I'd post some pics of my successful steers first, and will post breeding stock a bit later. I cant remember dates off the top of my head, if anyone wants to know I can look it up.

This trio of pure MG steers would have to be my most successful steers. They were shown at Melbourne show, hoof and hook competition. Hoof judging: the three were in different weight classes and all three won their class, the two lighter ones then won champion and reserve in their weight division. The heavier one won the champion in his division, and went on to be grand champion on the hoof. On the hooks judging, the two lighter ones again took the champion and reserve, the heavier guy again got the champion in his division but missed the grand champion carcass by half a point I think it was.

Beanie01.jpg

This is the heavy guy

Beanie07.jpg

Bad pic but it shows you his butt

Beanie03.jpg

Sweetest temperament too (thats not me holding him)

Beanie09.jpg

Some of my other successful but not quite as successful (lol):

Rocky - pure shorthorn. Weighed 406kg with fats of 7(rib) and 8(rump) and an EMA of 78. 70 days on feed with an average daily weight gain of 1.6kg. Placed first at Canberra show in hoof judging only, went on to Sydney where he was unplaced on both hoof and hooks.

At the start of his days on feed
Rocky03.jpg

At the show
Rocky02.jpg

Woody - pure shorthorn. Weighed 496kg with fats of 7 and 10 and an EMA of 90. 98 days on feed with a 1.5kg average daily weight gain. Best of all shorthorn steers at Sydney Royal show. This guy had some HAIR! He is one of only a few that I really spent some time fitting, gluing etc. and I even did a clip job before his class. Mainly cos I just liked working with his hair.

Before feeding out - you can see he was a thick and well muscled guy from the start
Woody2.jpg

At the show
SydneySteer04052.jpg

Woody3.jpg

Maverick and Wexford - pure shorthorn, same sire. Mav was 580kg with fats of 9 and 12. Wex was similar though I dont have his data on me. Equal first in their heavyweight class at Melbourne royal, Mav went on to be 3rd on the hooks. These big lumps were my first ever royal show winning steers, so they are kinda special.

Melbourne0302.jpg

A pure Poll Hereford steer. Cant remember his name, he wasnt a favourite of mine, but still a pretty handy little steer. Definitely a little guy - I'm 150cm for reference. He placed 5th in his class on hoof, and ended up around the middle of his hooks class (Sydney)

SydneySteer04062.jpg

Angus steer named Snowball at the start of his feed out period. He went to Sydney and placed 6th? I think on the hoof and 3rd on the hooks

IMG0006.jpg

Prune - One of the last steers I showed,so he's kinda special, murray grey cross limo. Weight 405 kg, fats 6 and 6. First and fourth in his hoof classes at Canberra. Would have placed on the hooks if the hide pullers hadnt taken a huge chuck of fat off

Prune12.jpg

Prune10.jpg

Prune06.jpg

Prune05.jpg

Took some steers over to Tasmania. This first little black guy, Bronco, is a Limo cross Shaver Beefblend. Really small and really good steer. 3rd on the hoof, unplaced on the hooks - he cut dark because two days before the show he had a pitchfork shoved through his foot - came out the other side, not nice. Ordinarily I would have withdrawn him from the show and taken him to the next one, but since we had to put them on a boat to get them over there, it kinda wasnt an option to take em home again.

Green and rough as guts when I got him, before going on feed
Tassie09.jpg

Bout halfway through the feed out period
Tassie20.jpg

Crappy photo cos of the rain
Tassie26.jpg

Better photo showing his butt, and me oh-so-happy about showing in the rain
Tassie27.jpg

Tassie33.jpg

Tassie07.jpg

This guy, Spot, was pure shorthorn. Very large steer. 3rd hoof and hook.

Tassie29.jpg

Tassie02.jpg

Tassie03.jpg

Tarrant, Shorthorn cross angus, champion on hoof and hook (not the same year as the other two). Photo doesnt do him justice. very flashy steer

Tassie10.jpg

And finally a black limo steer who was Grand Champion on the hoof at Sydney, unplaced on the hooks cos he was just too fat (who says you cant finish limos lol) I was hoping the hide pullers would take a bit off, alas they did their job too well.

SydneyStud0407.jpg

I liked the red one's showiness mostly.

We never got to follow our steers through to the hook. We just saw what came back on the data sheets. You really brought some of those animals up though Keren, and I like the fitting on the hairy shorthorn.

thanks cowboy

aussie, far as I know the only place that allows exhibitors to see the carcases is tassie. The others used to once upon a time before the whole Q fever thing. nothing better than being able to assess your show steer hanging up

yeah I had a bit of fun with the hairy shorthorn

I used to love watching the auctions though (after I had done crying about sending my steer away). It's amazing a ribbons worth, even if the animal comes middle range on the hook...

yep, that time we got the grand at sydney, the stupid stupid auctioneer didnt mention that he was grand, even though we had the ribbons on him the buyers didnt know exactly what he'd won, and he only made $3.60/kg :frowns: most shows are tending away from the auctions and selling them over the grid

Whaaaat? Don't they bring out the reserves and champions first and auction them off before going through the weights? I've seen some go for like $4000+ before. Ridiculous. Not for the seller though haha. They experimented one year with auctioning them off in the show ring so spectators could watch. Imagine the nightmare of hands going up in the air. I don't think they did it again...

Melbourne only sells by the grid, Sydney auctions ribbon winners and school steers, I think, everything else goes over the grid. Canberra still auctions all steers.

I support the change. There were some years in Sydney I was getting $0.80/kg for unplaced steers :mad:

We show a little less these past few years. But, we always shoot for Premier Breeder, which we have accomplished many times - at New York State Fair, Keystone Int'l Livestock Show, Harrisburg, Pa; and Eastern Nat'l Livestock Show, Timonium, MD. We were Premier Breeder AND Premier Exhibitor at NYSF 7 out of the past 9 years. We're proud of that.
Here's a link to my web page showing our past 6 years wins.
http://www.simmevalley.com/Show%20Winners.htm

Out of the 9 years we showed at our national organization's World Expo, we were the Premier Exhibitor each of the 9 times. Currently we have 12 different World Champions on our property (3 of which won their championships prior to our purchase), which have won a combined 28 World Championships. Also, we had one recently deceased female who won 5 World Championships.

Personally, I've exhibited the Grand Champion Texas Longhorn Bull and Female both, at Houston, Ft. Worth, Denver, Dixie National and Tulsa, along with our World Show. I have been exhibiting Texas Longhorns for 20+ years and have been VERY blessed to be associated with breeders that placed a high emphasis on raising the best animals possible, the right way.

We pride ourselves on producing the best animals we can. Just recently (last 3 or 4 years) have we been able to build up our herd to the size and quality we set our goals for. So we have just recently started selling our cattle as breeding pieces, on a scale of more than a couple a year. We wanted to get our herd in a place we were happy with, before we started getting selling the top end quality out of our calf crops. We have been very happy with the animals on the show circuit with our influence the past few years.

Ryan

Here goes. I have been showng for the past 34 years. Have been to 190 shows. Been showing Brahmans off and on since 1975, missed out on ribbons at one show in 1988 a Brahman feature show, only took two head and was placed 5th out of ten in each class. We are just getting back to showing a few Brahmans more consistently again. Been showing South Devons for the past 20 years. We are presently the only herd that shows in our state, so consequently we take upwards of 20 head to most shows to give us competiton and to display the breed. Have won a couple of interbreeds with the SDs but judges overlook them in favour of the more well known breeds.Have shown our SDs at the Brisbane Show three times 2003,2004,2005 and thinking about a team for this year. Used to show our Brahmans at the Sydney Royal Easter Show in the early 80's for the first five years. Pointless showing there now, too far away and not much interest from up north. Brisbane is more our show, albeit in another state but its still Australia.
Thats enough raving as the rain keeps falling.
Colin

I can't remember if I have asked you before Australian but do you often find people confuse your south devons as limos or gelbviehs? A stud I borrowed a SD bull from on year said in carcass comps and even hoof comps people always think the good ones are something else.

Yes they certainly do confuse us with Limousins mostly. In parades at shows I now ask can we not be put next to Limousins or Gelbviehs as it is too confusing. One breed that I would like to be stalled next to would be "Devon" just to show cattle breeders who should know better that they are very different.
Colin

Latest posts